Resource icon

Simple scene switcher 0.6

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
No, because each game would probably have to have a different way to detect whether or not you are in-game or in the menus.

SC2 can do it by checking a registry key that gets set for the Razer SC2 Keyboard/Headset. LoL can do it because it uses two different windows for in-game and for out-of-game. How are you supposed to detect when you are in-game for other games?

Plus, the purpose of this plugin isn't only for checking if you are in a game or not. OBS is for streaming more than just games. This plugin is for any context where you want to change scenes based on what window is selected.

kokarn

Again, in my opinion, a general purpose scene switcher which supports a lot more programs than just the ones who switch scene title would be really good and useful for a lot of things.

Developers doing stuff in Unity, designers with Photoshop and the like, music producers who do different things in traktor.

Yes, a lof of these things would require custom things for it to work, but shouldn't all these custom things be in one plugin instead of 20?

Kharay

This plugin is just about as general as is possible. It does exactly what it needs to do and what it is designed to. And, more importantly, what it is capable of doing. Do not forget than for some of the examples you have provided, there is no easy way to determine whether or not a switch is necessary and/or taking place.

In many cases this would require memory snooping, which is vastly beyond the scope of either this plugin or OBS. Not to mention grossly inefficient if done in some general fashion.

kokarn

So your suggestion is that these programs shouldn't be able to use the fantastic features this plugin provides at all?

My bet is that all programs have some way you can detect it. Yes, some might be registry based, some might be window titles and some might be even weirder like some text file being locked for reading or not.

My point is that instead of having thirty different plugins, each with it's own program or programs in focus i think it would be much better with just a single one with as many different scenarios supported as possible.

I can understand if the plugin maintainers don't want to extend the bounds of this plugin but i don't see how that defeats my proposal.

Where do you think my reasoning is flawed?

Kharay

No, you're not getting the point. At all, even. It's not about whether or not this plugin should support those programs or not. My point was the method in which those examples you gave have different "scenes", for lack of a better word.

Let me explain this by using another example, Dota 2. Dota 2 is a MOBA, like LoL. However, whereas LoL uses a 2-window model, making the distinction between lobby and match a fairly straightforward one to keep track of, Dota 2 uses a 1-window model. Its window title (the method that this plugin uses to keep track of the different scenes) does not change depending on whether or not you are in the lobby or in a match. Consequently, there is no way this plugin could determine which state Dota 2 is in.

Other than going about it in a completely different fashion, by monitor the actual memory of Dota 2. Which not only is a very time consuming process as far as CPU cycles are concerned but actually is also a very invasive procedure. One that could trigger any watchdog module present in Dota 2. And whereas Dota 2 may not necessarily have a watchdog module that is that paranoid, other games actually do. World of Warcraft is one such example.

And that is just one example. The same with the examples you gave, there is no straightforward way to determine whether or not you're in a queue or in a match if it's based on a single window model. Again, other than monitoring its memory. Which could be done in a very specific method, simply by amassing a list of memory addresses and states. However, this would go completely against your own point of generalizing the plugin. Not to mention that these addresses and states would alter with every single patch of the title in question.

Your reasoning is flawed. Not because the idea is unsound but because you do not seem to understand the problem with what you're suggesting.

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
This discussion is getting off-topic. This thread is to discuss the Simple Scene Switcher plugin, which switches based on active window. If you want to request a plugin that switches scenes based on different criteria, please ask in the Feedback and Suggestions subforum.

BeauWest

@kokarn That is not what majority of people want out of THIS program. However, the source code is open source, and you're not paying for the development on THIS plugin.

If you would like something that works how you're describing, please either write your own from scratch, or fork the source code on this plugin and write your own. Thanks!

kokarn

BeauWest said:
@kokarn That is not what majority of people want out of THIS program. However, the source code is open source, and you're not paying for the development on THIS plugin.

If you would like something that works how you're describing, please either write your own from scratch, or fork the source code on this plugin and write your own. Thanks!

How do you know what the majority of people want?

Apart from that, if i'm paying or not really has nothing to do with this.

Let's just chill this down a bit and try to get back to basics.

It all boils down to w0lv3r1n3 post.

w0lv3r1n3 said:
Hi TheNohT,

I've made a Dota 2 Scene Switch based on txt file, i dont know if u can/want incorporate it into your plugin, i guess it would be great if u want to :D!!!

Let me know

I think that would be great.

If the developers don't agree, I can understand that and be totally fine with it.

If it's outside the projected scope of this plugin, i'm fine with that decision as well even tho I don't agree with it.

What I don't understand is people just arguing against my idea for no other reason (as far as i can tell, but I might be missing something) that it's hard.

I know it's hard! (or impossible, depending on situation) That's why it's a suggestion and not something I just implement myself.

I'll just leave this here since I don't believe we'll be making any progress, we obviously think different things.

Love the plugin (as is ;-))

Kharay

... you're not even willing to read or comprehend what I've been saying, are you? Fine, I'm done with this as well. *ignores*

w0lv3r1n3

I'm sorry to bring all this up, it's not my intentions.
I totally agree with the moderator...this discussion is out off topic, i guess it should be another plugin and ill try to implement it as soon as i can, im not familiar with win32 api, i was a developer a long time ago and now i was looking for a tool to make the scene switch for me and i figure out how to do it for Valve's game( CS:GO, Dota 2, and others )... ill create a topic on the Sugestions sub-forum and post all data that i got.

Again..sorry...and btw Amazing work on this one!!!

Kharay

w0lv3r1n3 said:
Then don't bring it up again; the discussion was closed and should remain closed. I resolved it in a PM with kokarn.

ThoNohT

Developer
Ok, now, can chris and me have our thread back, please? If we need moderation, we'll ask moderators.

w0lv3r1n3 said:
I totally agree with the moderator...this discussion is out off topic, i guess it should be another plugin and ill try to implement it as soon as i can, im not familiar with win32 api, i was a developer a long time ago and now i was looking for a tool to make the scene switch for me and i figure out how to do it for Valve's game( CS:GO, Dota 2, and others )... ill create a topic on the Sugestions sub-forum and post all data that i got.

Again..sorry...and btw Amazing work on this one!!!

w0lv3r1n3, don't be sorry, you brought up a perfectly normal suggestion, it's not your responsibility what others do with that.

I can inform you that I also pmed with kokarn about his ideas, and how I think they are probably beyond the scope of the current scene switcher. And I don't feel up to/have the time to invest into something that is a lot more general.

But like I said earlier, before this .. thing happened, feel free to post your code, and I'll have a look at it, and will be able to see what can be done about it. If it's really not related to switching based on window titles, then it might have to become another project. But there's really no harm in looking at what you have made so far, and if you are planning to make another plugin, I wouldn't mind helping out in merging current scene switcher features into a more general purpose plugin.

MrPwnedo

As of the last patch recently the scene switcher hasn't been working. Do you guys have a fix for this? or is it working for everyone else?

I'm mainly using this for League of Legends.

ndr

MrPwnedo said:
As of the last patch recently the scene switcher hasn't been working. Do you guys have a fix for this? or is it working for everyone else?

I don't seem to have any problems with it atm, also using it for LoL.

Kharay

MrPwnedo said:

Just tried it with the latest version of the scene switcher and the latest OBS and it's working fine on this end. Are you making sure you have the same architecture build of the scene switcher as you are using for OBS? 32/32 or 64/64?

Xanewok

Somehow localization doesn't work with OBS v0.552b and r26_test for me. I get variable names (like "Settings.MainWndTitle") instead of actual strings. Tried to make my own locale file (pl) according to the existing ones, but to no avail. I'd love to help if it's possible.

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
Sounds like the upgrade didn't work for you somehow...try reinstalling OBS. This has nothing to do with the Scene switcher, though.

ThoNohT

Developer
r26_test is a test build, as the name suggests and not linked on the first post. With the recent changes to OBS, the localization support added to scene switcher will indeed not work. I suggest you use the latest release linked on the first post.

I should get around to (finally) releasing the next version some day.

Xanewok

The sole reason for installing a test build is because the r_22 didn't even show up in the Settings window. When I checked the logs it was either off the OBS Modules list or there was a very short log stating
17:11:50: Failed to load plugin plugins/scenesw.dll, 193
Then (I think! Not sure) I switched over to r_26_test and was getting
17:31:25: Memory Leaks Were Detected.
I know it's probably a problem with the new build, just giving what I can hoping it helps. On r26_test the plugin finally appeared in the Settings window and I set it up using locale file to decipher variable names. Now I reinstalled OBS, like dodgepong suggested, and still had the same problem on r_26_test. So I tried reinstalling r_22. Interestingly enough, it's being loaded and it seems to work (it must be using the config file somewhere, I bet), but I still can't access the plugin configuration in the Settings window. It's just not there. Here's the latest log (although I don't think it'll be of any use, who knows)
http://pastebin.com/eyLB9nza

EDIT: My bad. It's working under the Plugins button. The Configure option is accessible. I'm so dumb. ;_;

thehumandynamo

Hi Guys,
First time posting and I'm still very new to using OBS so I may just be doing something basic wrong. I am streaming League of Legends, currently having created two scenes. One is for the pvp.net client (the basic game client when you are not in a game) and the other for the actual game play itself. Both are window captures, set to the inner window and they work great. The problem I'm running into is my video capture. Both scenes have the same video capture method, with video capture being higher priority to the camera display will show over top of the other window capture. When the scenes switch from client to game play, the camera "resets" and causes the image it is capturing to flash for a second on the stream. Is there a way to prevent this?

Let me know if I"m being unclear on any of this as I"m not sure the best way to describe it.