Question / Help Setting up OBS 64 bit for the first time, ran into this error, PLEASE HELP!

phoenixrising

Hello Everyone

We are setting up a computer with OBS studio 64 bit on it, the computer is a dell vostro 200 with 4gb ram in it. I have downloaded directX and see no apparent issues in the DXDiag settings.

I am sure this is something I am missing or possibly the computer is just "too old" for OBS?

Can someone look at the log and please give me a hand, thanks again

Phoenix

Attachments

• 2018-11-23 14-38-26.txt
    2.9 KB · Views: 32

koala

The graphics adapter of that computer lacks vital support for OBS. This machine isn't able to run OBS. It is "too old" indeed.
Even if OBS were able to start, the computing power of the CPU is insufficient. It would not be able to do the video compression required to record or stream captured video.

phoenixrising

Thanks Koala, We did suspect as much. I was thinking of a newer PC with 8gb ram, but what to get. MicroShit all but destroyed anything good about windows when they came out with that Mickey Mouse garbage called "Windows 10"

Would any of the PCS on this page work, the goal is to keep it "windows 7 friendly" , I know this one is ready to be put out to pasture, probably was years ago, damn thing was born in 2007.

Windows 7 Desktops for OBS?

As a side note, would there be an issue in running OBS temporarily on the same computer as the feed is on. To explain, this would mean OBS was running on the SAME laptop (which we know works with OBS) as the one sending out the stream. I think I am talking myself into a corner here, but basically

OBS
WEbcam conference interface

same machine until we can buy a new desktop

Thanks again for the help

koala

keep it "windows 7 friendly"
Don't stick to Windows 7. Get Windows 10. Windows 10 is the more modern, more stable operating system. It has the best hardware and software support. Windows 7 support ends Jan 2020, that's just one year away. Don't build and invest in a system that's end of life soon.

Your wording and attitude against Microsoft and its current operating system suggests you are a bit older age, but let me honestly tell you: to have the least issues, get the newest OS available, get all patches and updates, only use the newest software versions. Always go forward, never go backward. With updates, to profit most, be the second who will update. Not the first, but also not the third.

In the end, higher productivity with new software is more worth than the cost of the time required to invest to learn how to use the new software.
would there be an issue in running OBS temporarily on the same computer as the feed is on
None at all. Not even temporarily. Using one PC for all is the common configuration for most streamers. Go for it. You don't need to build a 2-PC setup for streaming.

phoenixrising

Your wording and attitude against Microsoft and its current operating system suggests you are a bit older age,

You caught me, lol, I am a former NEtwork Admin of 14 years, While I understand your comment, my professional training has me thinking otherwise. I spent the better half of my 20s "fixing" crashed systems due to "updates and better patches". I myself run a highly secure and stable Windows 7 laptop and do not intend on upgrading ever. Of course I am aware of EOL for 7, but this does not bother me.

We were trained to "turn updates off, manually review ALL Patches and NEVER trust -new versions- when they first hit the cycle" and its something that is ingrained in my brain so to speak.

I do agree having OBS on a healthy machine is paramount to the success of the setup, but if all possible I want it on another machine for flexibility, if nothing else.

Again I know this is slightly off topic, so I will thank you all for the viewing and replies. We are going to get a strong windows 7 based desktop that has the "ability" to upgrade to the 10 platform when and if we choose in the future.

koala

We were trained to "turn updates off, manually review ALL Patches and NEVER trust -new versions- when they first hit the cycle" and its something that is ingrained in my brain so to speak.
This was the mantra 20 years ago, and it was often justified. I well remember that time. But this has changed. It's not true any more.
Today, it is the other way round. Today, the quality of updates and patches has vastly increased. And because most of the updates have security implications and will often fix zero-day exploits, it's simply stupid to not install them automatically and immediately.

Today, computers are so widespread, so if there even were a problem with an update, an upcoming fix would be distributed very soon, and so there is no danger in performing updates immediately. This is what I meant with "always go forward, never go backward".

phoenixrising

This was the mantra 20 years ago, and it was often justified

And in my professional opinion it still is, 90% of the viruses and hacks aimed at the computer world came towards M$ systems in the past years. I have never trusted those updates and never will.

I do appreciate your honesty and bluntness. We are going with a refurbished Win7 desktop with integrated graphics and 8gb ram, this will allow her to jump into this century. Hopefully OBS is flexible enough to handle such a machine.