Screen tearing and poor recording and stream quality Mac mini

Roscoe90

Hello,

First time here and I don't know what to look for to get help. So I am probably making a thread about something extensively covered, but I don't know the terms to search for to fix this. Anyway.
I have a Mac mini M1, 16gb Memory running Ventura 13.4.1.
I am running the latest version of OBS, which is 29.1.3
I am capturing with a kinda cheap capture card, but it claims to do 1080p at 60fps, which is exactly what my game runs on.
I have my recording set to the apple vt 264 hardware encoder and my streaming is on the x264. both are set to stream 1080p at 60fps.

Stream is:
CBR
8000 kbps (platform I am streaming to allows up to 10,000)
no buffer
keyframe interval 1s
CPU veryfast
profile high
no tune

Recording is:
Apple Vt hardware encoder
CBR
keyframe 1
profile high
no b-frames

When I capture my video, both for recording and for streaming, there is just poor quality and what I think is called tearing (horizontal lines going across the screen where it looks like the pixels are shifted). Around words in the game, I notice that it seems like pixels are...grabbing? on to nearby pixels, not really blurring, but creating strange texture around the letters. Finally, I get some...jittering. Like, the recording and stream aren't smooth and fluid. looks like someone is flashing a strobe light behind the screen really quickly. probably a bad description, but I don't know how else to put it. I got a log report, fixed the issues that it suggested, and did another log report but had very similar problems, even though obs didn't detect anything other than GPU usage, which...I don't know anything about that. If I stream on hardware encoder, it's worse. can't stream on software encoder, so it has to be the x264...Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know if more info is needed so I can get this resolved asap.

First video (pre-analyze) I did have 59.94fps instead of 60 (I got into a fight with my game audio, so there is a very long section of audio stuff that can be ignored. after a long while, I resorted to the ol' "unplug it and plug it back in" routine and it worked).
https://obsproject.com/logs/jzpPfoy5BBVpa9tb

Second video (Post-analyze) is the fixes
https://obsproject.com/logs/SWjAoaapcE729C8E (for some reason, it won't paste as hyperlink)

Roscoe90

I'm sorry to add more to this, but I was able to get a log from a stream while running the buffer replay feature. Stream and recording settings are the same as above. There was noticeable tearing on the stream, even after I stopped running the buffer replay (which doesn't make sense, as it is on a different encoder than the streaming).

here is a link to the YT stream video to show the tearing. It is most noticeable at the 3:37 mark of the video.

Last edited: