Recording's video is choppy, gameplay and audio perfectly smooth

JackBashford

I just moved to OBS from SLOBS to try and resolve recording issues - however, I've got some strange problems that I can't figure out how to fix. I'm using OBS to record a windowed game (can't use fullscreen because my laptop is 16:10), and am scaling it to 1920x1080 from 3072x1920 at 60 FPS. Everything seems to be running fine from the gameplay point, but when I look at the recording, it seems I can only see ~10% of the frames - the rest of the video is just frozen. My log is uploaded here, and I'm happy to provide additional information.

qhobbes

1. To ensure that OBS Studio has the hardware resources it needs for realtime streaming and recording, we recommend disabling the "Game DVR Background Recording" feature via these instructions.
2. In Windows 10 versions 1809 and newer, we recommend that "Game Mode" be enabled for maximum gaming performance. Game Mode can be enabled via the Windows 10 "Settings" app, under Gaming > Game Mode.
3. Update OBS to 26.1 or newest available version.
4. Run OBS as admin. Right click on shortcut, properties, advanced, check box, ok, apply, ok
5. Change the x264 preset to veryfast
6. Cap your games at 60 FPS.

If still having issues, post new log after making those changes.

JackBashford

1. To ensure that OBS Studio has the hardware resources it needs for realtime streaming and recording, we recommend disabling the "Game DVR Background Recording" feature via these instructions.
2. In Windows 10 versions 1809 and newer, we recommend that "Game Mode" be enabled for maximum gaming performance. Game Mode can be enabled via the Windows 10 "Settings" app, under Gaming > Game Mode.
3. Update OBS to 26.1 or newest available version.
4. Run OBS as admin. Right click on shortcut, properties, advanced, check box, ok, apply, ok
5. Change the x264 preset to veryfast
6. Cap your games at 60 FPS.

If still having issues, post new log after making those changes.

Hi! I did what you suggested, yet it still lags - I looked at the log and found that the dropped frames are due to encoding lag (although I could be wrong) - do you know any other issues that could be causing this? And how should I best resolve this?

JackBashford

^ An update on the above, I changed OBS's process priority to High, and the recording was smooth but the gameplay less so. That log is here. Please let me know if you have any ideas!