JackTheRipperGB

Hey guys, im having a weird problem of having my fps or frametime not acting normal on obs. Like once in like lets say 20-30 mins it feels like obs just decides to skip some frames or starts combining then not corretly. The output feels stuttery, yet theres no recording or encoding lag it reports consistent 60 fps, and the game im playing doesnt seem to have any fps issues at that time, it runs smoothly but im looking at preview and it feels extremely stuttery, it usually goes away after 6-10 secs but those secs it feels like smth is wrong. It doesnt seem to be dependant on intentisity of action happening in the game, sometimes just randomly goes low fps for no reason.

i run obs as admin, i have 12900k 3080 ti pc, i stream at 60 fps with 120 fps locked games with vsync.

It seems to happened even when stream / recording is not active, just preview starts lagging/ or taking frames not in order resulting in stuttery mess.

I checked frame by frame, it does not duplicate frames but it seems to take them not in correct order which results in stuttery mess.

Attachments

• 2022-04-19 14-00-18.txt
    21.5 KB · Views: 122

JackTheRipperGB

I tried updating Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable not sure if it helped yet, it feels overall more consistent and better but im not sure it adressed the problem i described before, yet. Is there anything else i should be aware of? Like anything that should be updated downloaded to ensure obs works stable

Slaack_Twitch

Hello, I made this account to help some people that's still looking in 2022.

So if your pc in-game drops frames when OBS is open and when it's closed it's fine.
If you go into task manager and OBS is using way to much memory.

If you got a mic installed on OBS, as the on that you set up to talk, if you put a filter on it called ''Noise Suppression'' inside you have 3 options.

Spexx.
RNNoise.
Nvidia Noise removal.

MAKE SURE ''Nvidia Noise removal'' IS NOT SELECTED. then reset OBS and it should be fixed.

Its Resource hungry.

My Specs.

3070 TI Founders, X570s arous, 1TB m.2 arous, 16GB 3600Mhz Ram.

So pc is perfect to run any AAA game and high and stream in 1080p.

Hope this helps, Happy 420

JackTheRipperGB

Hello, I made this account to help some people that's still looking in 2022.

So if your pc in-game drops frames when OBS is open and when it's closed it's fine.
If you go into task manager and OBS is using way to much memory.

If you got a mic installed on OBS, as the on that you set up to talk, if you put a filter on it called ''Noise Suppression'' inside you have 3 options.

Spexx.
RNNoise.
Nvidia Noise removal.

MAKE SURE ''Nvidia Noise removal'' IS NOT SELECTED. then reset OBS and it should be fixed.

Its Resource hungry.

My Specs.

3070 TI Founders, X570s arous, 1TB m.2 arous, 16GB 3600Mhz Ram.

So pc is perfect to run any AAA game and high and stream in 1080p.

Hope this helps, Happy 420
i dont understand what do you mean at the first part, and im not using noise supression at all

JackTheRipperGB

bump, is there anything i should be doing to increase stability of obs recording? like updating Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable is there smth else along those lines, or maybe smth in my settings are wrong and can be causing this?

JackTheRipperGB

https://obsproject.com/logs/uONAO0CcpZ5mEPDu game looks perfectly fine, no in game fps drops => random 10-20 secs of stutering parts in the stream (lets say 15-30 minute apart) NO BOTTLENECKS FROM PC, no encoding rendering lag nothing. It feels like obs cant obtain frames from the game / pc to encoding or obtaining wrong ones, at some random moments

This issue is much worse on 60 fps locked games for 60 fps stream. When i use 120 fps game, during this laggy moments it just takes frames out of order, but since they are still unique it doesnt look that bad. Please i need this fixed. any ideas?

JackTheRipperGB

Okay so i narrowed down smth. When the stuttering happends in preview => and thus in stream. lets say you have a game in game capture its stuttering right now => switch to display capture, its not there => switch back to game capture its happening. So this is fully on obs. im not sure whats exactly is causing that, But it feels like cache or smth getting filled and stuttering happends until it refreshes. Switching to display capture only, as far as i remember doesnt solve this either, it just basically affects all sources captures just in diffrent times.

JackTheRipperGB

I just confirmed that it works opposite way, when display capture starts lagging => game capture can be fine. Is there any chance someone at developer team or smn who is familiar with code to help me out. Im completely clueless when it comes to stuff like this, Im 100% my pc is fine, like i said the random stuttering keeps appearing / dissapearing, it can be lagging on display capture at given moment but not on game capture and vice versa, which make me believe its not from my pc side, some poor interaction between windows 11 and obs? no lag in game no rendering or encoding lag ..... perhaps the hook to the game desync or smth? how can i test it, i need help please......

JackTheRipperGB

Any input from smn? I tried almost everything, it just feels like framerate goes out of sync, for no reason, i have no idea what could be cauising it. Game seems fine, and then it feels like capture sorta degrades over the time. goes out of sync, and then resyncs back to normal and cycle repeats. The intervals seems to be completely random

Deywark

I got the same issue, did you found a solution? I already test all I know, ejecuting with admin mode, enabling and disabling game mod, capping fps ingame, lowering ingame settings, and still the same, obs is randomly dropping some fps to the 50 - 55's (R5 2600x, GTX 1060 6gb, 16GB of RAM DDR4 at 3200mhz)

Kaykrisify

I've been experiencing the same things for almost a year now... Any solutions? I use dual PCs and both PCs react the same with video playback and the stuttering.

JackTheRipperGB

I have not find solution to this day, running games at fps higher than video target helps a lot, but its band aid than actual fix. It seems im unable to record/stream 60 fps source in 60 fps stream, even though it runs perfectly smooth on my side, without having randomly duplicated frames, obs doesnt record any problem in its log.
The worst part is it seems inconcistent, Most of the time it runs fine, and sometimes theres periods when it just doesnt look smooth at all with no clear reasoning for that

Marsh

I recently started a thread that sounds very familiar to you:

I don't have a fix either and all I hear is either "we don't see a problem" or "your computer is too slow." I'm on win 11, and after about 30 minutes the frame rate just drops for no reason. It seems to be a sync issue. It'll do it with OBS open even if you aren't recording. Unfortunately for me I'm recording Factorio which is hard locked to 60 fps so I can't go any higher than that. I posted an issue on github and it was closed because it was a "support issue" and yet nobody on the discord server or the forums here has been able to help me.

Factorio has a very detailed frame time report. Normally most of the GPU time is spent on "Flip" which is waiting for vsync. But when the framerate drops, Flip time goes almost to 0 and most of the time is spent on "Sleep," which is vsync off. (Since Factorio is hard limited to 60 fps, it's like having a frame limiter on.) I *was* able to fix the problem by turning off vsync, but it makes Factorio look like garbage.

Sejbo8000

Posting my message from another thread that might have the same issue

I have the exact same issue it started in the beginning of June for me and I have had to deal with it ever since. It dosen't seem to be an obs issue since I tried both shadowplay and obs with the same result. It isn't only recordings as well it is also yt videos and everything with heavy movement that stutters or more specificly skips frames even though no rendering lag or encoding lag happened. I wasn't streaming so can't be internet either. When I use G-sync, V-Sync, and tripple buffering same thing happens but feels unstable in a way. So far the only way to avoid it is to use a fast mouse so the stutters in the preview/video are barely noticable. Slow panning makes it very stuttery. I tried reinstalling windows and going to windows 11 with the same issue I then went back to windows 10 checked and updated all my drivers and it is still there. Windows is updated and reinstalled graphic drivers too. It happens on both one monitor and two monitor setups. weird part is that if I play a game the game dosen't stutter, it only happens in the recording and obs preview in other words windows desktop all my pc components are pretty cool too and my cpu reaches max 78 when gaming without limiting fps I am using a 3080 10gb and an i5-12600kf with 32gb of ram. It happens with all refreshrates and become worse when fps and refresh limit is 60. If fps is not 60 I get a constant timed stutter until I reach above 100 fps where it just makes the video look less smooth. Limiting fps dosen't help I have tried RTTS and Nvidias own fps limiter but it only makes it smooth for a bit before the stutter comes and goes as the camera in game moves sideways. I noticed that "thick" screen tearing happens at the same time as the stutter but I can't be sure there is a connection. I can provide videos if needed but since it isn't obs to my knowledge, then I don't think they can fix it.

alexstavik

I have the same issue, i believe?
This just suddenly started.
- Frames/fps dropping all the time in OBS preview (not live)
- i have tried everything, i even switched from streamlabs to obs to check. still same. idk why.
- 3080ti and so on. all brand new.
- two 1440p monitors, 270/165hz

help?

jettit

Okay for anyone still encountering these "surges" i call them...

First off let me say its not a fix if you rely on obs and certain stuff within obs. But it is a workaround until obs puts out a version that is stable for all users/builds.

I was plagued by this for about a year and it literally made me go nuts trying to figure out a solution day after day as i personally know my build is more than capable of recording 60fps on any game i play. So before you go and buy new parts or upgrades or even a new pc hear me out and try what worked for me, just to see.

The problem i had was so very similar to yours after about 15 - 30 minutes of gameplay i would get heavy surges in frames with my recordings, they lasted anywhere from 5 - 15 seconds before it went back to normal.

Anyways enough of my blabbering, so what i did was uninstall obs and tossed it in the recycle bin one day cause i was so frustrated with it.

Then i said you know what i have a nvidia gpu and they offer nvidia geforce experience, so i went ahead and downloaded that, after getting it all setup, i hit alt + z to open up the game overlay and there you will see broadcast and recording options. Keep in mind these are pretty basic features but they do have some good stuff to work with.

Anyways i set it up for 60fps recording and broadcast i was reasonable with my bitrate as they offer insanely high bitrates i kept mine at 20mbs or roughly 20,000kbs.

Said okay lets test it out proceeded to do a 3 hour session of heavy intense gaming, and would you know it NO MORE SURGES!!!! have not felt that good in over a year watching back my gameplay.

Sure i dropped a few frames here and there hardly even noticeable to the eye but that is expected from such a long session.

Finally after a year of trying to figure out what was wrong, the answer came back to "its obs" not your system, for the first time in over a year i have now been able to play and not have to even worry in the slightest about my recordings having these surges.

I will still download and test all new versions of obs that get released hoping one of them will come out stable for all builds at some point in time, but for now im sticking with nvidia gefore experience and broadcasting and recording thru that.

Really hope this workaround helps a few of you out until obs fixes whatever is causing these surges with certain builds.

Cheers and happy stable and smooth gaming!

VulcanVR

This might not correspond with the problem of the OP, but I have struggled with constant frame drops for over half a year now. My problem has been that OBS can't maintain a steady 60fps and loses 2-3 frames every second no matter what I change. It followed me through two reinstalls of Windows, going from Win 10 to 11 and onto a completely new PC build, barring my GPU, an older GTX1080.

Now, you're probably thinking that the problem has to lie with my GPU. At least that's what I thought. However, using NVENC demands a paltry 2% of my GPU and lowering settings to the bare minimum still had my OBS losing frames, even when not streaming or recording.

Solution:
Delete your capture sources, either one at a time to find which one is problematic or get rid of them all at once.

My sources have followed me through my reinstalls as I exported/imported my profile and it's been one of the few things I haven't poked at while struggling with this problem. I mostly use game capture, but I also had some window captures in my sources. I don't know which was the problematic one, but there might have been a problem with old sources and an update, or just the fact that I had a lot of sources in the same scene.

Either way, my specific problem is gone. I hope this helps someone.

Why don't the developers respond to the issue of preview stutter? I just don't get it. Like being in a twilight zone. I just wish my brain could understand programming so I didn't have to keep whining like a baby in this forum.