PSA for Windows 10 Anniversary Update users

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harold

[6:30:54pm] <Jim> microsoft tells me they've found both cases where OBS has been having problems on win 10 AU
[6:30:59pm] <Jim> or that they've replicated
[6:31:05pm] <Jim> I'm very happy
[6:31:24pm] <Jim> there was the non-TDR case (where I think it says "Device Removed"), and the TDR case where it's a driver hang
From the dev IRC (Atlantic time)

Stealth1192

This is the log that I have when it just freezes out of nowhere. I don't know if this would help. I'm running the latest update on windows anniversary edition.

Attachments

• 2016-10-17 19-39-46.txt
    20.2 KB · Views: 39
  • 2016-10-21 19-47-18.txt
    6.7 KB · Views: 32

Ragnos

Switching to OpenGL didn't impact quality but performance, atleast for me streaming Gears4. Went from rock solid 59,94fps to 35-55fps. I reduced my configured fps to stabilize the output.

Cryonic

I just did a fresh Win10 installation, unfortunately it came already with the AU build. Is there a way to install an earlier build?

Yes - find an older ISO and install it like in the old days. Dont use the media creation tool - it is a nice thing, but will include the latest updates every time you create a bootable drive etc. Just look for builds that are older than 16xxx and you should be good. The only thing afterwards is: stop updates. And wait till MS releases an update that fixes it.

I personally trust MS here and will always use a workaround and keep the newest build rather than using an outdated OS version, never. But this is a personal thing.

reanimat3dtv

Not sure if anyone else is running to this issue, but ever since the AU update I've been unable to stream my gaming on twitch due to huge ping spikes. Ever since I started streaming, I've never had any issues with high pings, my bitrate has always been set at 3000 on obs. When I'm not streaming, I ping 30-50ms on most game servers I play on, the second i start streaming I spike up to 300-400 steady (this has only started since the update). Has anyone else been running into this problem?

Thanks, I'll try and post the results later here.
Ok, so I just tested OBS with the Windows 10 build 10586.
The results are not good. I got severe frame dropping in preview and recording (not in game) at 1440p60 in BF1 whereas Windows 8.1 and 7 could handle it flawlessly. Not a single frame drop in these two.

Here's a log from Win10: https://gist.github.com/0d9a525e0e054675cef40c275fdc26ff
And a log from Win7: https://gist.github.com/abd7515f284362bdb8d9426086871ce0

So apparently my problem is not in the Anniversary Update. Anybody knows what could be wrong in my issue?

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
Ok, so I just tested OBS with the Windows 10 build 10586.
The results are not good. I got severe frame dropping in preview and recording (not in game) at 1440p60 in BF1 whereas Windows 8.1 and 7 could handle it flawlessly. Not a single frame drop in these two.

Here's a log from Win10: https://gist.github.com/0d9a525e0e054675cef40c275fdc26ff
And a log from Win7: https://gist.github.com/abd7515f284362bdb8d9426086871ce0

So apparently my problem is not in the Anniversary Update. Anybody knows what could be wrong in my issue?
That is a separate issue from the one detailed in the initial post in this thread. You might be looking for this. I don't think they are related.

tsakiYM

I got the anniversary update. every day i have a different problem.
At first avermedia didnt work. when it did, my cpu was 100% (maybe that was problem of my settings,but i use the same settings over 1 year on OBS classic)
After that, while i was recording to test my settings, my preview freezed and when i tried to stop the rec obs didn't respond.
the next day i tried to rollback windows updates and i didnt have the same problems except that this time, when i clicked the button to "start streaming", it turned "Stop Streaming", meaning I am online, but I actually wasn't.
After i restarted my PC, windows updated again (although I disabled auto updates)
At the moment, my only problem is that obs crashes after 10 to 30 minutes of stream.

Hope these information are helpful

Attachments

• 2016-10-24 23-33-54.txt
    14.4 KB · Views: 28

Crystal Storm

Hey all - I just started having this issue when I stopped playing Dragon Age II and jumped back into DA:I and also in The Witcher 3. I'm not the biggest techie person so I'm actually not sure if I'm running the Windows Anniversary update, I've got OS Build 14393.321

I've also attached the error logs, OBS froze and the error logs show: device_set_render_target (D3D11): texture is not a render target error.

Last night when it crashed on me again during a live stream I found this thread (omg thank you for this thread) and tried a few things.
  • I updated to the latest NVIDIA driver - rebooted
  • I created a new window capture screen disabled OBS preview.
  • Closed OBS, opened it back up again and started streaming
I was able to stream 2 1/2 hours without any issue. I usually stream on average of 7 hours at a time, so will have to test more soon. I'm going out of town for a week though so hey maybe things will be all better by then.

Attachments

• 2016-10-24 17-55-30.txt
    54.4 KB · Views: 28

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
More news: Microsoft have tracked it down to an nVidia driver bug with the Anniversary Update and they are engaging with them to get it fixed. Apparently AMD cards are working fine on the latest version of the AMD drivers with OBS Studio.

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
More news: Microsoft have tracked it down to an nVidia driver bug with the Anniversary Update and they are engaging with them to get it fixed. Apparently AMD cards are working fine on the latest version of the AMD drivers with OBS Studio.

For those interested in detailed technical info about the Nvidia driver bug that Microsoft found...
Microsoft said:
We have a bug on Nvidia currently and we’re engaging with them to get it fixed.

I investigated the issue last night and found that the issue was due to an nvidia driver bug which does not manage residency correctly on textures submitted with DMA buffer based present calls. Under high VRAM usage, we ask the driver to trim their residency set. This is one of the allocations they trim, but they do not make it resident again before submission. During the submission when we validate the allocation’s residency reference count, we see that it is 0 and simulate a software page fault, which causes a device removal. I was able to repro the issue with very high success (90+%).

Status
Not open for further replies.