PSA for Windows 10 Anniversary Update users

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenrir

Forum Admin
I'm so desperate, can somebody help me with this annoying problem? I'm using OBS studio and Windows 10 AU and sometimes (very rarely, like once per 1-2 weeks) my OBS just closes with message saying "Whoops! OBS has crashed!", but there is no log file or anything, every log folder is empty. This happened to me ~4 times in the past month and i never was able to find any crash logs. All my drivers are up to date (Nvidia gtx 670) and OBS is up to date too. I'm a creative section streamer so i'm using only OBS + Photoshop at a time, nothing like some huge system loading processes. I also have my Preview disabled and using OpenGL rendering option.

OBS Studio always stores crash logs in %APPDATA%\obs-studio\crashes. Also, it gives you the option to copy to clipboard when it happens. Without the crash log, it's impossible to say what's going on.

That said, you should really NEVER be using the OpenGL renderer on Windows. Set that back to Direct3D 11.

Dzikawa

OBS Studio always stores crash logs in %APPDATA%\obs-studio\crashes. Also, it gives you the option to copy to clipboard when it happens. Without the crash log, it's impossible to say what's going on.

That said, you should really NEVER be using the OpenGL renderer on Windows. Set that back to Direct3D 11.
I checked that folder and it's always empty. And 1st page of this thread says you could use OpenGL as a temporary fix to crashes.

Fenrir

Forum Admin
I checked that folder and it's always empty. And 1st page of this thread says you could use OpenGL as a temporary fix to crashes.

If the crashes folder is empty, something on your PC is blocking OBS from being able to write there, likely bad antivirus or other security software.

OpenGL was one potential workaround when there was no workaround built into OBS itself. As of 0.16.3, there is a workaround in place. As of NVIDIA Drivers 376.33, the AU issue has been fixed. If you're on the latest drivers, and you are still crashing, then your issue is not related to the issue in this thread and a new one should be opened.

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
No, it doesn't say that. The first page says that you can use OpenGL as a temporary workaround for the Windows 10 AU issue, and your issue doesn't sound like that issue. I'm in a good position to know, I did a lot of research and wrote the PSA as a result of that research.

As @Fenrir said, post a new thread, complete with logs (both regular logs and crash logs). If your logs folder or crash logs folder is empty, please post a screenshot showing the folder so that we can see the folder path to confirm that you're checking the correct folder (this has been an issue in the past). Logs hold a ton of useful diagnostic information for us, so without them, it becomes extremely difficult and sometimes borderline impossible to offer useful support.

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
@xSonic521x

While this forum can be used for general feedback, that is not the purpose of this thread. This thread is dedicated to a specific issue that occurs only on Windows 10 Anniversary Update. I, and probably most if not all of the people who posted in this thread, still get notified every time there is a new post. To keep this thread on topic, your request should be posted as its own thread and marked as "Feedback/Suggestion".

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
Understood, copying and pasting now.
Awesome, thanks for that. Sorry if my original reply seemed terse. I'm just sitting down to my first meal of the day, and I seem to be a bit crabby. We do appreciate the feedback, so thank you again for that.

I'm still waiting on some specific feedback on this thread about whether or not the latest Nvidia drivers (376.33) fix this issue for everyone who has previously experienced it so I can update the original post with clearer instructions and move closer to fully resolving this issue.

Happy to say that at least for me, this issue finally seems to be resolved with the latest drivers. I did about a 2 and a half hour stream tonight with no crashes and no green flickers the whole time. NVIDIA also finally fixed Folding@home in this version. This took an unacceptably long time for them to deal with but at least it was dealt with. I hope AMD can step up their high-end game cause if they can, that's where I'll be going next time.

Ugh, I've had this problem for so long now it's become the worst tech issue for me I've ever dealt with. The only way I ever fixed this was to install windows 7 and use that instead of windows 10. A few months had passed and I kept reading how this problem has been solved, so I went back to windows 10 and I feel like I'm in the twilight zone all over again. Literally nothing I do keeps obs from crashing. It's not just an obs crash, it crashes my whole system. The system works 100% fine unless I have obs open, it doesn't even have to be recording/streaming, it just crashes eventually no matter what I'm doing on it. It always locks up, goes to blue screen of death after a minute or two of total lock up, and then reboots itself.

I'd love to post crash logs, but there aren't any to post. And no I don't have any anti virus or anything like that blocking obs from writing crash logs, however there are 'logs' in the log folder so if those are of any help let me know and I'll send them. Just please god someone help me with this, I'm losing my mind.

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
If you're on the latest version of the nVidia drivers, and still getting crashes on Windows 10 AU and OBS Studio, then it's probably not related to this issue. I recommend making a new thread and include your crash logs, including the BSOD errors.

Feorh

i2.6K
Maximus extreme iv-z
NVidiaGTX 680
mem. 8G
capture devise Razer Ripsaw

On W8.1 full updated and with latest Nvidia drivers have crushes and black screens frequently i played with setups and drivers 3 days in row. Current W8.1 in trash can, all overdrives on basic.

So on brand new "clean" W8.1 version x64 "6.3.9600.17476." without any updates 375.70-desktop-win8-win7-64bit-international-whql Nvidia drivers, and without GeForce experience it WORKS !!!

And for now it works more than perfectly !!!

About 4 hours without any crashes at all.

Tnx Universe ! Tnx this thread and OBS Team. And Tnx for me xD

Last edited:

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
I'm going to go ahead and close and unsticky this thread. If you believe you are having this issue, then you should be able to update Windows and your GPU drivers in order to solve it. If that doesn't solve it, then it's probably unrelated to this particular issue, so you should create a new thread, and make sure to include a log file.

Status
Not open for further replies.