PSA for Windows 10 Anniversary Update users

Status
Not open for further replies.

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
I'm trying to think, if this seems to be the case, it may a long time for Nvidia to fix it. But, who knows how long that'll take to happen. Until then, worst case scenario because there's just no info and we don't know when Nvidia is going to fix it, what can be done about it on the OBS side of things if any? I know nothing would be a true fix, I'm just trying to thing of something that would help in the mean time.
The best thing that can be done, has already been done a few patches ago. Currently the only thing you see when the issue occurs is a green flash.
As @Osiris already said, the best workaround has already been included in OBS Studio.

If you'd like more technical details, Microsoft's recommended action when an application receives the DirectX error in this issue (0x887A0005) is to "destroy and recreate" all DirectX devices in code in the application. That's what the workaround introduced in OBS Studio 0.16.3 does - it destroys all DirectX devices and recreates them in code. At this point, Microsoft has pointed to Nvidia for a faulty driver (I provided their detailed technical response here). All we can do is try to make sure that Nvidia is aware of it and is actually working on it, and then wait.

Someone on /r/NVIDIA commented today that he managed to fix this issue by completely removing GeForce Experience 3.0 from his system. Anecdotal and I'll probably test it myself but he said he's had no issues since that. Has anyone tried/debunked that idea?

darklordmagus

So i am new to streaming and I have had a hell of a week getting things set up, dealing with Windows rebooting issues and then my Razer Rispaw not showing the console input from any system connected. After finally getting that fixed (1 week's worth of late nights) I was finally able to stream...

then came the stalling. What my issue is, is I start the stream, everything goes fine (minus the initial crackling audio for a minute or two). During my stream, the capture/stream will freeze. The game is still running - i have to quickly change inputs to see the game. Sometimes when I go back to PC input, the issue is fixed, other times it is not. I would have to do a complete Windows 10 restart to get the camera and console capture back up and running.

Is this the same issue that the OG post is describing? I'm at work so I will try option 1 tonight and see if that Fixes the problem.

If this helps distinguish if my issue is part of the OG's post - My PC is a custom built AMD FX-4100 Black Ed. OC'd to 4.5GHz stable. 16 GB ram, MSI NVidia 1060 6GB Gamer ed., ASROCK 970 Mobo, and A/C wireless DLink adaptor (pc isn't near my modem/router and I cannot move the router due to cable wiring in my house [my line is a separate 2nd line] but I get average 40-80+ mbps at the distance d/l and 5-20 mbps u/l [I have gigabit internet and a DLink gaming router]). All my drivers are up to date (I did so during my week of PC issues).

Hopefully this is a Windows 10 AU update issue, as it's frustrating to be mid stream, sometimes less than 1 minute in, to have the stream freeze (sometimes the camera still goes normally and only the capture aspect is frozen in OBS).

Help/suggestions....?

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
@darklordmagus
The stream/capture completely freezing should not happen in newer versions of OBS Studio (0.16.3+, I believe). The only way we can definitively analyze your issue is if you provide a log from a session where the issue occurs.

darklordmagus

I will try and get that log link done later tonight.

also wanted to point out that when the stream/capture freezes, the program is still completely useable. I am able to click things, change settings etc, but the image is frozen for the capture source.

darklordmagus

here's my last 3 logs. start from the oldest one first as it would guaranteed show a crash.

Attachments

• 2016-12-08 01-19-11.txt
    11.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 2016-12-08 01-19-11.txt
    11.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 2016-12-08 01-26-24.txt
    14.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 2016-12-09 00-42-46.txt
    6.4 KB · Views: 28

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
@darklordmagus
Your computer is failing to load Direct3D 11 and switching to OpenGL, which is likely to have performance issues on Windows. Your computer is also having issues with DirectShow. Even if this is a Windows 10 AU issue, it is not the issue detailed in this thread, but something else altogether. I would recommend making a new thread, with the logs attached. If possible, find a log for your last known good session as well. You may also want to double check your drivers (video card, chipset, capture devices), OBS installation (uninstall, reinstall), and DirectX installation (dxdiag).

darklordmagus

@darklordmagus
Your computer is failing to load Direct3D 11 and switching to OpenGL, which is likely to have performance issues on Windows. Your computer is also having issues with DirectShow. Even if this is a Windows 10 AU issue, it is not the issue detailed in this thread, but something else altogether. I would recommend making a new thread, with the logs attached. If possible, find a log for your last known good session as well. You may also want to double check your drivers (video card, chipset, capture devices), OBS installation (uninstall, reinstall), and DirectX installation (dxdiag).
I don't think I have ever had a completely good session. the most recent one I provided would have been the cleanest one. I re-installed my graphics drivers this morning before work. Couldn't test the stream but I know that I had ommitted installed 3D drivers due to a monitor issue my 43" 4k screen was having (constant flickering). I will test out the full install of the drivers after work today and see if that fixes it. I will also check my install of directshow, and mobo PCI-e chipset. I know there is one last update for my mobo, but the patch notes do not mention any updates to graphics/pci-e drivers.

Thanks for your help. I will post this in a new thread if the above doesn't work.

New drivers again today. Curious if this fixes it for anyone. They almost had a fix for the Folding@home issue (which started at almost the exact same time) but it didn't make it in so apparently, a hotfix is coming shortly. Curious if that or just this driver finally sorts this issue, months after AMD did.

Fenrir

Forum Admin
New drivers again today. Curious if this fixes it for anyone. They almost had a fix for the Folding@home issue (which started at almost the exact same time) but it didn't make it in so apparently, a hotfix is coming shortly. Curious if that or just this driver finally sorts this issue, months after AMD did.

According to an email direct to Jim, it's fixed in 376.33. I was not able to replicate the device removal after updating my drivers, but I'm only one test case.

Last edited:

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
According to an email direct to Jim, it's fixed in 376.33. I was not able to replicate the device removal after updating my drivers, but I'm only one test case.
As @Fenrir said, it seems that Nvidia driver 376.33 may have finally fixed this issue. Please update your drivers and try to reproduce the issue. Let us know how that turns out.

Osiris

I can't seem to reproduce the AU issue anymore with those new drivers. Could reproduce it before by running GTA 5 and setting it up to use more then my available VRAM (2GB), now nothing. So it seems those latest drivers fixed it.

xSonic521x

Just for clarification, the issues before this driver was released were, what exactly? Crashing, framerate/performance issues, etc?

Osiris

OBS freezing because the driver crashed, before the workaround was implemented in OBS. And after that, a green flicker because OBS had to rebuild the graphics subsystem after a driver crash.

Dzikawa

I'm so desperate, can somebody help me with this annoying problem? I'm using OBS studio and Windows 10 AU and sometimes (very rarely, like once per 1-2 weeks) my OBS just closes with message saying "Whoops! OBS has crashed!", but there is no log file or anything, every log folder is empty. This happened to me ~4 times in the past month and i never was able to find any crash logs. All my drivers are up to date (Nvidia gtx 670) and OBS is up to date too. I'm a creative section streamer so i'm using only OBS + Photoshop at a time, nothing like some huge system loading processes. I also have my Preview disabled and using OpenGL rendering option.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.