Question / Help PLEASE HELP How to get Nintendo Switch audio to go through my headphones with no delay while streaming

gunner455

I started streaming recently and plan on steraming switch games. No delays at all for the stream which is good. However I can't listen to the switch audio without a delay from what is actually happening on my gameplay screen. I have no idea what to do, if anything can be done. I'm also using an elgato hd60.

FerretBomb

An HD60 (non-S) is a USB 2.0 device; it will always have around a 2-second capture delay on both audio and video, which cannot be fixed. You can add an async delay to your other sources (like your webcam, alerts, etc) to sync your mic/cam to the gameplay so you aren't reacting to things that haven't happened yet on-stream, but the capture and audio will always be 2 seconds late for you.

You can plug headphones into the Switch, but that kills the audio going to the capture card.
You can use an HDMI splitter and have the video/audio going to a TV as well as the capture card.

You can plug a dubbing cable from the Switch to your computer's Line In, and set the line in device in Sound->Recording to 'listen to this device' which will play back the audio from it over your desktop speakers, and have OBS capture the game audio on the desktop channel, but keeping game audio/video in sync can be difficult to impossible at that point.

The real fix is to sell off the HD60 to someone else, and buy a USB 3.0 or PCIe capture device instead. This is otherwise not a fixable issue, with the HD60.

Hylian Drummer

An HD60 (non-S) is a USB 2.0 device; it will always have around a 2-second capture delay on both audio and video, which cannot be fixed. You can add an async delay to your other sources (like your webcam, alerts, etc) to sync your mic/cam to the gameplay so you aren't reacting to things that haven't happened yet on-stream, but the capture and audio will always be 2 seconds late for you.

You can plug headphones into the Switch, but that kills the audio going to the capture card.
You can use an HDMI splitter and have the video/audio going to a TV as well as the capture card.

You can plug a dubbing cable from the Switch to your computer's Line In, and set the line in device in Sound->Recording to 'listen to this device' which will play back the audio from it over your desktop speakers, and have OBS capture the game audio on the desktop channel, but keeping game audio/video in sync can be difficult to impossible at that point.

The real fix is to sell off the HD60 to someone else, and buy a USB 3.0 or PCIe capture device instead. This is otherwise not a fixable issue, with the HD60.
Hi FerretBomb I recently started streaming too and I have the same issue and what I did was to run an aux cable from the switch to the pc and found out that it kills the audio from the stream. What I want to know is if this is an issue only present on the HD60 or it happens on the rest of them? Because I can not afford another capture card right now and if this is not an issue in the HD60S I will start saving for that one. Thank you.

FerretBomb

Hi FerretBomb I recently started streaming too and I have the same issue and what I did was to run an aux cable from the switch to the pc and found out that it kills the audio from the stream. What I want to know is if this is an issue only present on the HD60 or it happens on the rest of them? Because I can not afford another capture card right now and if this is not an issue in the HD60S I will start saving for that one. Thank you.
Honestly the capture card I recommend to new streamers at this point is the 1080p30 'cantlink'; it's USB 2.0 but doesn't have the huge delay from the Elgato cards, and is only about $20 on ebay. Cheap as chips and works fine for almost everything that doesn't *require* 1080p60 (and almost nothing actually does, especially just getting started).
I can't speak as to the aux cable, there's a bunch of reasons that could be happening.