PC Continues to Freeze for the 100th+ Time This Year While Only Using OBS Studio

aperez8696

I've asked for help by searching up solutions and fixes related to my PC freezing while using OBS Studio. I've asked on the OBS Discord, watched some YouTube videos, executed System File Checker on the Command Prompt, bought a new PC with Windows 11 since my previous desktop also has that issue and thought buying a new PC would be clear, but that's not the case, disconnected a lot of USB devices, turned off Hardware-accelerated GPU Scheduler, checked for the latest updates on each device for drivers via their brands and Windows Update, changed the stream encoder from NVIDIA NVENC to x264 just in case my GPU is causing issues, literally EVERYTHING!!! And my PC continues to freeze while using OBS Studio and I STILL can't find the solution to prevent this nonstop issue. I may have to buy a Mac Mini with the M1 chip if it's a Windows issue that I cannot find out on my own.

Attachments

• 2022-08-16 09-57-38.txt
    14.2 KB · Views: 25

PaiSand

Have you tried uninstalling the antivirus? You can reinstall it if this isn't the issue.
Also, windows 11 isn't recommended as it gives problems to many people.

Use again the Auto-configuration Wizard and apply the recommended settings. Keep the simple output mode and encoder selection. Restart OBS and test again.

Lawrence_SoCal

Have you tried recording (or only test streaming) with NO browser sources?
Have you reviewed your OBS log
- and noticed that cameras, even though audio not in use, have different audio sampling rate? no idea if that should be a non-issue or not... but considering the other troubleshooting you've done, seems reasonable to make sure sampling rate is consistent regardless
- notice the Elgato error in the attached log?

Been considerate of fps capture rate and which monitor you are capturing? Since capturing at 60fps, have you tried that on your 60Hz (vs 165Hz refresh rate monitor)? If other reason to stick with capturing on LG monitor, have you looked into changing refresh rate to an even multiple, like 120Hz?

And are you running CPU or GPU over-clocked, or similar?
What are you doing for real-time monitor for hardware resource utilization and temperatures?
Have you checked OS Event Logs for hardware or other errors?
what else is running on OS? If you re-installed same/similar utilities, etc, chance there is an incompatibility with whatever you are running (across multiple computers, gaming workload, and computationally intensive real-time video encoding with OBS)

I also am not a fan of Win11 (or any of M$'s every other OS release for last 2+ decades, starting with WinME). That said .. it depends. Unless I got a new 12th gen Intel Alder Lake CPU, I'd stick with Win10, unless there was a really compelling reason otherwise (at least for next year or two)

aperez8696

- and noticed that cameras, even though audio not in use, have different audio sampling rate? no idea if that should be a non-issue or not... but considering the other troubleshooting you've done, seems reasonable to make sure sampling rate is consistent regardless

Been considerate of fps capture rate and which monitor you are capturing? Since capturing at 60fps, have you tried that on your 60Hz (vs 165Hz refresh rate monitor)? If other reason to stick with capturing on LG monitor, have you looked into changing refresh rate to an even multiple, like 120Hz?

What are you doing for real-time monitor for hardware resource utilization and temperatures?
what else is running on OS? If you re-installed same/similar utilities, etc, chance there is an incompatibility with whatever you are running (across multiple computers, gaming workload, and computationally intensive real-time video encoding with OBS)

I also am not a fan of Win11 (or any of M$'s every other OS release for last 2+ decades, starting with WinME). That said .. it depends. Unless I got a new 12th gen Intel Alder Lake CPU, I'd stick with Win10, unless there was a really compelling reason otherwise (at least for next year or two)
ALL ANSWERS ARE IN BOLD!

I've only streamed with browser sources, such as streamlabs alerts, streamlabs jar, Snaz clock display and timer, bitbossbattles, and probably a few others. If I do have any of those that is causing the issues, I'll disable (or remove) them.

I've checked all my audio devices and they're all in 48000 Hz audio, though idk if 16-bit and 24-bit matters, however the Logitech C922 Microphone is limited between 16000 Hz and 32000 Hz (16 bits), which is quite odd and I don't think there is a way around it. I still have it disabled since I'm mainly using the Elgato Wave:3 as my microphone.

I'm not sure what you're referring to. The layout where my Elgato footage is displayed or my capture card itself with the audio, video, or something related to it? I don't think this is what you're talking about, but I did notice the Elgato Audio sample rate is 44100 on the log, so idk how to change it since it's not showing me audio settings for the specific audio device.

Only my second monitor is limited to 60Hz. I will have to change the main monitor refresh rate from 165Hz to 60Hz if it's also causing the issue. However, I have OBS Studio displayed on my second monitor with my main monitor for mainly everything else.

I have never touched any of the overclocking settings ever since I've gotten this PC as I always leave them running at the default settings.

No idea what that is, but I'm guessing Task Manager and other software in the background? I usually disable a lot of problem irrelevant to my main usage and close out programs I won't be needing. Otherwise, I have no idea what this means.

I checked out a program that identifies blue screen errors, used System File Checker, and DISM.exe on Command Prompt, but I don't think I can actually find the OS Event Logs for Windows 11. I appreciate it if you could guide me on this, but so far I tried fixing whatever problems I could resolve with the best of my ability, so I have no idea if any issues were fixed.

Along with OBS Studio, I have StreamLabs Chatbot, Streamlabels, Snaz, Discord, Security Suite, Intel Driver Updates, Logitech and Elgato Audio programs, and NVIDIA. I mainly installed whatever I had from my Windows 10 PC over to Windows 11 fresh from the internet instead of a system transfer or copy/paste function onto the new PC. I'm not too sure what else I'm missing or whatever else is causing these issues, but this is something I might look into and see if anything is odd.

aperez8696

Have you tried uninstalling the antivirus? You can reinstall it if this isn't the issue.
Also, windows 11 isn't recommended as it gives problems to many people.

Use again the Auto-configuration Wizard and apply the recommended settings. Keep the simple output mode and encoder selection. Restart OBS and test again.
I'll try the simple output mode with both encoders (x264 and NVENC, fi these are what you're referring) and see which ones perform better or if both stink!