Question / Help OBS Won't Capture Without SLI Active

cheri

I have a single monitor gaming laptop, ASUS, a few years old, starting to get outdated but it still runs fine and runs my games without issues. About exactly 50% of the time for no discernible reason, OBS will refuse to acknowledge that the window I've selected is ACTUALLY SHOWING THINGS. Window capture will just be blank for any and all windows. Game capture will also be blank, unless I enable SLI. The screen will show up when I check off SLI, and then immediately go blank again when I uncheck it. SLI makes me stream at about 5fps. This frustrates me to no end and makes me want to throw my computer across the room.

I've restarted the computer, I've restarted OBS, I've restarted the game, it just does it whenever it feels like it, absolutely at random, if the wind is wrong that day or it's just in a mood or the sun isn't shining at just the right angle. Restarting things has actually made it START doing this on more than one occasion. Captures that work initially will randomly go blank and stop working the next time I run OBS, and then start working randomly several days later, and then break again. WHY IS THIS HAPPENING. I JUST WANT TO PLAY GAMES AND STREAM FOR MY FRIENDS.

The only thing I can do to actually make it work when it does this is use Display Capture, which I don't want to do, because I don't want people seeing my desktop or chrome or whatever else is on my screen when I alt-tab.