Resource icon

OBS Virtualcam 2.0.5

gareth77

I really like that you can select a particular source to send to the VirtualCam - useful if you only want to send your webcam back to someone on Zoom - means they aren't put off seeing themselves back. I've a few queries though, as things aren't quite working as I'm expecting...

1. The text in the overview implies that you can send 'preview' feed to VirtualCam from Tools menu but I can't make this happen. It only sends 'program', which I'd expect. Could you confirm please?

2. There is the option to set up to 4 VirtualCams, which implies I can send 4 different sources - one to each VirtualCam. But when trying to select the VirtualCams 2 3 or 4 in any other app (Skype, Zoom etc) there is only the one OBS-Camera option in the drop down and not the other three. Is this an issue or have I misunderstood this functionality?

Running 2.0.5 on Win 10 Pro.

Thanks

Fenrir

Forum Admin
1. The text in the overview implies that you can send 'preview' feed to VirtualCam from Tools menu but I can't make this happen. It only sends 'program', which I'd expect. Could you confirm please?

Preview is used interchangeable with the combined Preview/Program view when not in Studio Mode. When in Studio Mode, you can only output the Program view from the Tools menu. You can use a the filter to output a specific scene, but honestly that kind of workflow sounds like Virtualcam is not the solution, and something like NDI might be better suited.

2. There is the option to set up to 4 VirtualCams, which implies I can send 4 different sources - one to each VirtualCam. But when trying to select the VirtualCams 2 3 or 4 in any other app (Skype, Zoom etc) there is only the one OBS-Camera option in the drop down and not the other three. Is this an issue or have I misunderstood this functionality?

You need to run the installer and select the number of cameras you want to register, or manually register the obs-virtualsource.dll file for the number of cameras you want, as explained in the readme on the github repository. The Program view (from Tools) can only be sent to a single camera at a time. You have to use the filter for each additional camera.

I left the option for multiple virtual cameras in because it was in the original plugin and I did not want to break any workflows, but if I am honest if you need more than 1 virtual cam, you are probably misusing the plugin and there is a better solution for what you are trying to do.

Someguyperson

I can get through all the steps listed in the setup, but whenever I hit the "Start" button, I don't have any webcam interface pop up on my PC. I checked in the "Devices" list and in Device Manager, but no camera interfaces show up. Whenever I try to manually search for attached devices, I can't find anything either. I don't see any interfaces available when I use the builtin "Camera" app or when I start Google Meet in my browser.

I'm running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit version 1903 build 18362.836 and OBS Studio version 25.0.8 (64 bit). I installed VirtualCam via the 2.0.5 executable. I tried installing with 1 camera interface and 4 camera interfaces and I didn't see any difference. I have also rebooted my machine after installing and that made no difference as well.

Would it be possible to rotate the camera 90 degrees to use in the streaming app for Instagram? So we can broadcast to Youtube in 16x9 normally and, simultaneously, to Instagram using the webcam

Fenrir

Forum Admin
I can get through all the steps listed in the setup, but whenever I hit the "Start" button, I don't have any webcam interface pop up on my PC. I checked in the "Devices" list and in Device Manager, but no camera interfaces show up. Whenever I try to manually search for attached devices, I can't find anything either. I don't see any interfaces available when I use the builtin "Camera" app or when I start Google Meet in my browser.

I'm running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit version 1903 build 18362.836 and OBS Studio version 25.0.8 (64 bit). I installed VirtualCam via the 2.0.5 executable. I tried installing with 1 camera interface and 4 camera interfaces and I didn't see any difference. I have also rebooted my machine after installing and that made no difference as well.

Add a video capture device inside OBS, and check to see if you can see "OBS-Camera" listed there. Since it's a virtual device, it won't show up in device manager like a normal USB device, so that is perfectly normal. Many applications are blocking virtual devices these days, so check that it shows up in OBS itself first before anything else.

Would it be possible to rotate the camera 90 degrees to use in the streaming app for Instagram? So we can broadcast to Youtube in 16x9 normally and, simultaneously, to Instagram using the webcam

Possible? Probably, but well outside the scope of this plugin. I am simply maintaining the current deployment/dependencies as the original author is no longer around. I will not be making any changes, updates, bugfixes, or feature enhancements to this plugin.

Someguyperson

Add a video capture device inside OBS, and check to see if you can see "OBS-Camera" listed there. Since it's a virtual device, it won't show up in device manager like a normal USB device, so that is perfectly normal. Many applications are blocking virtual devices these days, so check that it shows up in OBS itself first before anything else.
I see the OBS-Camera interfaces show up when I try to add a Video Capture Device, but whenever I try to add it, all I see is a frozen still image of OBS-Camera 1 and the none of the options take effect. Also, the "FPS" and "Video Format" fields are marked in red and I can't change them. I can't switch to any other OBS-Camera interface, even if I am sending video to another interface (like OBS-Camera 2). Whenever I try to remove that same video capture device, OBS freezes up and hangs until I kill it manually.

gareth77

Preview is used interchangeable with the combined Preview/Program view when not in Studio Mode. When in Studio Mode, you can only output the Program view from the Tools menu. You can use a the filter to output a specific scene, but honestly that kind of workflow sounds like Virtualcam is not the solution, and something like NDI might be better suited.

You need to run the installer and select the number of cameras you want to register, or manually register the obs-virtualsource.dll file for the number of cameras you want, as explained in the readme on the github repository. The Program view (from Tools) can only be sent to a single camera at a time. You have to use the filter for each additional camera.

I left the option for multiple virtual cameras in because it was in the original plugin and I did not want to break any workflows, but if I am honest if you need more than 1 virtual cam, you are probably misusing the plugin and there is a better solution for what you are trying to do.

Thanks for the response and for pointing out that I missed the 'select number of camera's during the install. VirtualCam will be perfect because a few of us are doing a live broadcast in a few weeks. In order to comply with Covid social distancing rules the presenter will have to be in a separate room to me in the control room. He needs to see a live feed of our output, so I will use one virtual cam for that. In addition, we will be doing some live Skype interviews and wish to send a virtual feed of the presenter's camera to back to Skype rather than the main live feed, so that the interviewee doesn't have to look at him/herself when they are being broadcast. So it's perfect for both scenarios.

matheod

Is there a way to force a resolution ? My virtual camera have a very very bad resolution.

« If you open an OBS-Camera device in a 3rd party application before starting the output in OBS, OBS-Camera will default to 1080p 30fps. If you start OBS first, it will use whatever is set as the Output resolution and framerate in OBS Studio's options, under Settings -> Video. »

I tried to first start the virtual camera, then enabling the camera on the website, and I also tried first enabling the camera on the website, then starting the virtual camera but in both case I get very bad resolution.

I know this isn't the website (blackboard) reducing the output quality to save bandwith because :
if I go on https://www.cam-recorder.com/ to test the camera, the camera output is really good, but if I start sharing my camera on blackboard, the camera on cam-recorder.com switch to a very bad resolution (I keeped both tabs open). And I soon I stop sharing from blackboard, the camera on cam-recorder.com switch back to a good resolution. So it's like if blackboard was somehow requesting a lower resolution, but the quality is so much bad that it can't be normal. I think it's because blackboard only show a thumbnail to the broadcaster, and somehow, the camera switch to the resolution of the thumbnail, which then look very back on other computer because it's not a thumbnail.

So is there any why to force the resolution ? Thanks.

Fenrir

Forum Admin
I have been unable to replicate the low resolution output issue on my end, so I unfortunately do not have any idea what is happening there or how to resolve it.

matheod

I have a meeting now but I can temporary give you latter in private access to my blackboard account to test it.

Timboxyz

I upgraded to this version by installing over the top of the previous one. However, I selected only one instance this time but had four before. Now the other three show as unselectable phantoms both in OBS Studio, and destination apps.

Is there an easy way to get rid of these? I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling to no avail.

Hjalmarsson

Hi everyone,

Very simple question I'm sure. I have installed the Virtual cam in OBS and it works perfectly. What i wonder is.. When I make changes in the OBS settings both the "output" and "Video" settings area. Does this affect the video that comes out through virtual cam? Such as changing encoder to Nvenc and changing bit rates and sharpening? Or do i just get an unaltered video stream through Virtualcam. Thank you for any reply :-)

Hjalmarsson

Hi everyone,

Very simple question I'm sure. I have installed the Virtual cam in OBS and it works perfectly. What i wonder is.. When I make changes in the OBS settings both the "output" and "Video" settings area. Does this affect the video that comes out through virtual cam? Such as changing encoder to Nvenc and changing bit rates and sharpening? Or do i just get an unaltered video stream through Virtualcam. Thank you for any reply :-)
Anyone???

yuvashk

Does anyone have success with Slack? Discord seems to find OBS-Camera just fine, but Slack is not finding it at all

nickmgray

I'm trying to use the plugin with my Sony A7 III. The camera shows up fine in OBS but when I start the plugin, no applications show the Virtual Cam and a source option. I've tried this with Google Hangouts, Google Meet and Skype. The only one it seems to work with is Zoom. Is there a way that it can be used with other services?

tritola23

i installed the plug in bot no VirtualCam showing on my Tools

i have tried to reinstall it but its the same no virtualCam found on Tools

tritola23

Ditto Post with minor bonus information:

Running OBS 25.0.8 (64 Bit) on Win 10
Following install there's no VirtualCam entry in the Tools menu.
Zoom *can* see an 'OBS-Camera', but obviously it's a null feed as there's nothing coming from OBS.
Tried:
Restart and re-install.

HTH

J

i have tried it but still not showing the virtual CAm on TOols menu

chrisinhim

I just started using this plugin and I have a recommendation.

May be you can provide the ability to enable the 4 cameras (though with the same output) so that we can send the stream to multiple platforms.