Resource icon

OBS Virtualcam 2.0.5

jennylnz

I have today downloaded OBS I do not have Virtual Cam in tools and downloaded the Microsoft Visual C++ as mentioned on page 1 still nothing

t.o.

The 2.0.5 virtual cam does not work for me ...
I install it on a Win 10 home 64 bit, using OBS 25.0.8 (64 bit).I can see and activate the virtual camera in the OBS tools menu, but when I start my Zoom (current version, 5.0.x), I can only see "integrated webcam" as possible video source. I already tried to use the "reg_path.reg" script, which doesn't help either ... What's wrong?
Regards, Thomas.

bradtem

Anybody know how to make Windows treat the virtualcam as the "default camera." I have run into several WebRTC based tools which have poorly coded camera selection. They often will only use what Windows considers the default camera. Since that camera is in use by OBS, they just say "camera failed." Oddly, this then disables the camera selection that some of them have, but some don't even have that. If the WebRTC device enumeration were to say that obs virtualcam is the default camera, then I could use it. In some cases I have been unable to send any video, "best" case is I turn off OBS and feed them the camera directly, but then I have a greenscreen behind me. Yuk.

kantoniak

Hello,
I'm trying to swap background and send video out as a virtual device to use on Google Meet etc. I installed OBS-Virtualcam 2.0.5, UI is showing up and everything seems to work flawless in OBS. The problem is, there is no OBS-Camera device showing up (I tried Google Meet in Firefox and Windows "Camera" app). Problem appears using both .exe installer and manual install.

Here's my log: https://obsproject.com/logs/1IMeSzwmlsKiLb2r Actions were:
  1. open OBS,
  2. go to Tools > VirtualCam,
  3. click Start,
  4. I checked that it doesn't work in Firefox,
  5. click Stop.
It seems that OBS outputs frames somewhere.

Can anyone help me to debug this problem? I will be happy to provide more problem-specific details.

khunpoum

hello,

i have problem with portrait-orientation VirtualCam.
i was set in OBS->Settings->Video (base & output) 720x1280 aspect ration 9:16 and start OBS->Tools->VirtualCam->Start
then run Skype or any other app and i see canvas is still 16:9 (Landscape orientation) but me need 9:16 Portrait Orientation like a mobile phone vertical style video
how to solve it?

salmiak

Anyone???
Hi everyone,

Very simple question I'm sure. I have installed the Virtual cam in OBS and it works perfectly. What i wonder is.. When I make changes in the OBS settings both the "output" and "Video" settings area. Does this affect the video that comes out through virtual cam? Such as changing encoder to Nvenc and changing bit rates and sharpening? Or do i just get an unaltered video stream through Virtualcam. Thank you for any reply :-)

I am wondering about the same thing as well - been using VirtualCam for 4 months and I love it - but what affects the resolution put out, is it always the Display or Preview resolution, or is the web conferencing platform and what resolution and quality it requests. Would be really useful to know this. Thanks, Klaus

Theo4143

Very strange, it's possible you might need to reinstall the Microsoft C++ redistributable package, or be on an older version. Try installing this (with OBS closed) and see if it shows up after installing: https://aka.ms/vs/16/release/vc_redist.x64.exe

Hi I installed the virtual cam but I don't see the virtualcam on tools dropdown menu. I installed the vc_redist.x64, but I am still not seeing it.
Annotation 2020-06-28 124400.jpg

lemo

This plugin is very cool,
But there's a noticeable delay (maybe like 300ms?) on the video output, making it out of sync with the voice...
When I use the webcam output directly, or other "virtual camera" for video calls there's no such latency
For example I tried SnapCamera, and it doesn't add extra video delay even with lots of effects
If you could optimize the latency for future versions that would be great

bradtem

This plugin is very cool,
But there's a noticeable delay (maybe like 300ms?) on the video output, making it out of sync with the voice...
When I use the webcam output directly, or other "virtual camera" for video calls there's no such latency
For example I tried SnapCamera, and it doesn't add extra video delay even with lots of effects
If you could optimize the latency for future versions that would be great
Yup. Just install virtual audio cable (or voicemeeter) and set it as the "audio monitor" output. You must also send "monitor and output" on the audio devices you want to play through.

This should be in standard instructions, or better still, obs-virtualcam would be better with a virtualaudio component but for now you have to make it yourself.

300ms is a LOT for this. I typically find about 50ms, which is enough to make the voice off. 300ms would be crazy long.

lemo

Yup. Just install virtual audio cable (or voicemeeter) and set it as the "audio monitor" output. You must also send "monitor and output" on the audio devices you want to play through.

This should be in standard instructions, or better still, obs-virtualcam would be better with a virtualaudio component but for now you have to make it yourself.

300ms is a LOT for this. I typically find about 50ms, which is enough to make the voice off. 300ms would be crazy long.

You mean trying to match the same latency as virtualcam with the extra virtual audio?
Either way that's a lot of effort, and still the latency of both would be there when replying to someone on zoom for ex.
To be honest I'd very prefer Virtualcam to improve its own latency directly ^^'
I mean if other virtual cameras software can output without latency I guess Virtualcam for OBS can improve it too...

TheMdrnSamurai

I am having a fully separate issue... installing the OBS Virtual camera (fresh versions of both, just reloaded my machine today) it introduces a MASSIVE delay to Skype (Desktop) startup. Like a 5 minute delay. Now, it may NOT be the OBS Camera, but the behavior is ONLY on this machine (the only one I have OBS on) and ONLY happened after I put in Virtual Cam (Had been running OBS for hours before).

I did the uninstall, I unregistered the two filters.. but I want know what is the procedure to absolutely remove all traces of this plugin from the system so we can verify if that restores Sypes startup speed.

Ken

bradtem

You mean trying to match the same latency as virtualcam with the extra virtual audio?
Either way that's a lot of effort, and still the latency of both would be there when replying to someone on zoom for ex.
To be honest I'd very prefer Virtualcam to improve its own latency directly ^^'
I mean if other virtual cameras software can output without latency I guess Virtualcam for OBS can improve it too...
I don't think the latency is in virtual cam. It's in OBS. And depending on how much you are doing in OBS, of course that's going to have some latency. So if you use a program like zoom, and you give it virtualcam as the camera, and your real physical microphone as the audio, the audio is going to arrive before your video processed by OBS. That's just going to happen. How much longer depends on how much you ask OBS to do.

On the other hand, OBS will spit your audio from the internal OBS audio flow out to the "monitor" (as well as livestreams and recordings) at the same time as it puts out the video. So if you feed the OBS monitor out to Virtual Audio Cable, and use that as the voice input to Zoom, it all works. I run into problems when I do complex audio, including wanting to do deliberate delay on my video and audio. OBS has some issues this way. It offers video filters galore for scenes, but audio filters only apply to audio sources. There is a renderdelay filter for video scenes and sources, but no similar filter for audio -- you have to globally stick a delay in the advanced audio settings. Not the most intuitive flow.

fidelisoris

I have reached out to MS Developer/Tech Support regarding the lack of support in both MS Teams (O365 deployed) and Skype (MS Store Edition).

My initial assumption is because the virtualcam driver is not digitally code signed, it's being treated as "untrusted" and being blocked out of the UWP economy. If true, the possible answer may be to get the OBS team to absorb the virtualcam project into the core and sign it with their cert.

I can say that the virtual camera software "Logitech Capture" from Logitech (distributed with BRIO 4K webcams) does work just fine. However it is severely limited in it's composition capabilities and appears to be much slower and more resource intensive than OBS.

If I can discern any concrete answers I will post them here.

EDIT: Reason I am pursuing this is due to my requirement of being locked behind the IT-deployed version of MS Teams via Office 365, which appears to have the same camera restrictions as the MS Store Skype (they're loosely related), and VirtualCam does not appear in the device list.

Last edited:

Jen-X

The only reason I installed OBS is to flip my camera (for a fitness class I teach on Zoom). Now, with your message about the glitch in the horizontal flip with 25.0, I'm trying to uninstall 25 & install an earlier version that will do the flip of the camera. But the OBS icon doesn't show up in apps, and I can't find any way to uninstall it. Please help. I'm not very technical, and this is really frustrating!

lemo

I don't think the latency is in virtual cam. It's in OBS. And depending on how much you are doing in OBS, of course that's going to have some latency. So if you use a program like zoom, and you give it virtualcam as the camera, and your real physical microphone as the audio, the audio is going to arrive before your video processed by OBS. That's just going to happen. How much longer depends on how much you ask OBS to do.

On the other hand, OBS will spit your audio from the internal OBS audio flow out to the "monitor" (as well as livestreams and recordings) at the same time as it puts out the video. So if you feed the OBS monitor out to Virtual Audio Cable, and use that as the voice input to Zoom, it all works. I run into problems when I do complex audio, including wanting to do deliberate delay on my video and audio. OBS has some issues this way. It offers video filters galore for scenes, but audio filters only apply to audio sources. There is a renderdelay filter for video scenes and sources, but no similar filter for audio -- you have to globally stick a delay in the advanced audio settings. Not the most intuitive flow.

I put down the buffered frames in Virtualcam options to zero now, and the latency is quite bearable
Not sure why the default setting there is 3 frames, seems to work fine with zero
I might looks into virtual audio later maybe and hopefully also they can still improve obs latency some day