Resource icon

OBS Virtualcam 2.0.5

bradtem

More audio adventures. I decided to delay my video and audio by 1 second. You can do that in OBS with render delay. And while OBS has a way to add lots of delay to the audio channels (Advanced settings) this is only done for streaming and recording, NOT out the monitor, which has been the way to get audio out of OBS to use along with virtualcam. Sadly they are live. Voicemeeter can add 500ms of delay but thats its cap. I guess you might be able to run two of them but that's a big kludge.

So this is another call that virtualcam is very useful but only half the story without virtualaudio, in this case a virtual audio that would output the same audio that goes out to a stream. Now frankly, I think audio is in general done in a strange and not fully consistent way in OBS, which is a video program at heart.

Is there another easy program like voicemeeter out there that will introduce more than 500ms delay?

The reason I would prefer to have it be in OBS is it would be very nice if you could switch scenes and have different scenes with different delay. Even using voicemeeter's 500ms delay, to switch form that back to a non-delayed scene would mean a lot of reconfig, changing audio devices or loading new settings into voicemeeter or both.

bradtem

Further follow-on. After using virtualcam combined with VoiceMeeter's Virtual Audio Cable I discovered that after about 20 minutes the audio from the OBS monitor channel into virtual audio cable had drifted enough in sync to be very annoying. Sadly, you don't learn that until you watch a recording unless somebody points it out. Unknown where the fault lies, but others who have seen it report that recorded and streamed output does not get this problem but monitor does.

That, plus the other audio delay issues have made me switch over to NDI. NDI makes a virtual audio device from OBS's internal audio feed, not the monitors of individual channels, as I was hoping that OBS Virtualcam would. It also makes a virtualcam. I had not been using it because it's really a giant package which does a whole bunch more, and it's a lot of weight just to get a virtualcam, but it seems that it is the right answer unless you only want video in your OBS output into Zoom/Skype/etc. But who only wants video?

It comes at a cost. NDI must run at boot, there seems no way to start it on its own. Even then you must manually fire up the channel in OBS. After that you can use its video and audio device in a similar fashion. On the plus side, now you get exactly the same audio output that OBS would output to a stream, rather than just the audio of the streams you remembered to put monitor on for.

Thanks Virtualcam. I've gotten a lot of great use out of you but these problems were mounting. The use of monitoring and virtual audio cable was always a kludge and bound to eventually run into trouble.

ahmadnassri

I noticed the new github repo does not have issues enabled, so it's hard to report bugs there ... not sure if intentional or result of forking.

my specific problem is with with blurry screen capture quality in virtual camera, a number of threads in this forum touch on this, the most recent being: https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/obs-virtual-cam-output-is-blury-and-pixelish.118650/

also I opened an issue with some details on the original project: https://github.com/CatxFish/obs-virtual-cam/issues/69

MyKeyOBS

I think, the reason is the rescaling.
If i open https://webcamtests.com/check and connect to the virtual cam, then it shows:

The name of your camera is detected as “OBS-Camera” and as the default resolution it uses 640×360.

How can i change the "default Resolution" of the Virtual-Cam to 1280x720?

sk2

Fenrir submitted a new resource:

OBS Virtualcam - Virtual camera plugin for OBS Studio

Read more about this resource...
Fenrir submitted a new resource:

OBS Virtualcam - Virtual camera plugin for OBS Studio

Read more about this resource...
I just installed OBS tonight and cannot access the virtual cam to use it in Skype. Do I need to install all of these in order to fix it? I tried closing it and installing the C++ and it did not work.

Attachments

• 2020-07-21 21-11-32.txt
    55 KB · Views: 45

sk2

I just installed OBS tonight and cannot access the virtual cam to use it in Skype. Do I need to install all of these in order to fix it? I tried closing it and installing the C++ and it did not work.
Thank you, I don't know what happened but I restarted everything and got it to work! Now I just have a noticeable lag from IP webcam on my phone in OBS. The phone camera is normal, it's just in OBS.

sk2

Thank you, I don't know what happened but I restarted everything and got it to work! Now I just have a noticeable lag from IP webcam on my phone in OBS. The phone camera is normal, it's just in OBS.

Attachments

• 2020-07-22 12-05-23.txt
    10.4 KB · Views: 47

EPtech

To the authors: would it be possible to add the ability to autostart Virtualcam source filters just like the main Virtualcam output? I'm trying to automate a kiosk and right now I can't route video without manual intervention.

Mmaestro

Has anyone solved why virtualcam output is received or interpreted as 16:9 by chrome even if 4:3 is set for canvas/output.... am running into issues with chrome/a teaching platform not recognising it as 4:3 even though manycam will internally? There still appears to be an issue where "maintain aspect ratio" must be "rechecked" each time it launches as this toggle does not operate properly.

What's odd is it wasn't working with the teaching app at first, then for one week it was fine, and now it is back to this issue. In the teach equipment test (screenshot below) I notice that the top is cropped (so as to accommodate the 16:9 and once I select "maintain aspect ratio" I get black bars on either side of my video, it then centers to the middle plus the black bar on the right.... go figure.

Attachments

• Manycam gets it video source is from OBS.png
    Manycam gets it video source is from OBS.png
    470.2 KB · Views: 82
  • OBS with incorrect maintain ratio.png
    OBS with incorrect maintain ratio.png
    367.9 KB · Views: 84
  • OBS with maintain ratio unchecked then rechecked.png
    OBS with maintain ratio unchecked then rechecked.png
    298.2 KB · Views: 72

necrovamp

First time user. After install using installer when attempting to open OBS studio, it would not open.
Watching task manager, looks like it opens for about 4 seconds then crashes.
Uninstalled virtual cam and everything back to normal.
Installed one more time to confirm results, still crashes.
Attempted 3rd try using manual install method, still crashes

Aside from my specs below, only other odd thing about my setup is install location, both OBS and virtual cam were installed to different drive other than C. Hope this helps

OBS studio 23.1.0
Windows 10 pro 1909
3600x, gtx1070

Last edited:

Mmaestro

First time user. After install using installer when attempting to open OBS studio, it would not open.
Watching task manager, looks like it opens for about 4 seconds then crashes.
Uninstalled virtual cam and everything back to normal.
Installed one more time to confirm results, still crashes.
Attempted 3rd try using manual install method, still crashes

Aside from my specs below, only other odd thing about my setup is install location, both OBS and virtual cam were installed to different drive other than C. Hope this helps

OBS studio 23.1.0
Windows 10 pro 1909
3600x, gtx1070
I think this version of Virtualcam 2.0.5 is meant for OBS 25 - as you are running 23 try virutalcam 2.0.4?

Mmaestro

Has anyone solved why virtualcam output is received or interpreted as 16:9 by chrome even if 4:3 is set for canvas/output.... am running into issues with chrome/a teaching platform not recognising it as 4:3 even though manycam will internally? There still appears to be an issue where "maintain aspect ratio" must be "rechecked" each time it launches as this toggle does not operate properly.

What's odd is it wasn't working with the teaching app at first, then for one week it was fine, and now it is back to this issue. In the teach equipment test (screenshot below) I notice that the top is cropped (so as to accommodate the 16:9 and once I select "maintain aspect ratio" I get black bars on either side of my video, it then centers to the middle plus the black bar on the right.... go figure.

Found one fix... for now... use Google Chrome CANARY :)

BlackCanary

I've installed OBS on my Windows device. After installing the Windows plug ins, OBS crashes immediately after launch. I've uninstalled OBS and tried reinstalling. OBS seems to be working without the plug-ins, but I want to use OBS with Zoom and my laptop integrated webcam. Please let me know what to do about this.

Crash log attached

Attachments

• Crash_2020-07-29_06-12-21.txt
    33.7 KB · Views: 27
I know this is going to sound crazy, but this is for a very creative virtual art installation project: Is it possible to get more than 4 virtualcam instances? Would pay a reasonable fee if it requires much work. I could use at least 6, preferably 8 instances... and trust me, it's weird but I actually know what I'm doing.

Thank you :)

Hi, this looks like exactly the plugin I need! Is there still work being done on it for a Mac OS version?

JosiahAnduril

Thanks for the help!

lobstrain

Hi all, quick question: Is obs-virtual cam capable of outputting @ 60fps in any resolution? When I use it I only see it outputting at 30fps even though my OBS output settings are set to 60fps.

EDIT: OK, I just saw this in the FAQ:
----
Why are the resolution and framerate sometimes not the same as my OBS output settings?
If you open an OBS-Camera device in a 3rd party application before starting the output in OBS, OBS-Camera will default to 1080p 30fps. If you start OBS first, it will use whatever is set as the Output resolution and framerate in OBS Studio's options, under Settings -> Video.
----
I don't think I'm opening anything before starting OBS though? Unless I'm not understanding what this is saying.

Last edited:

JackBlack

Hello All,
I was about to install obs-virtualcam-2.0.5-Windows-installer.exe and ran a scan on virustotal, results show Trojan.AvsIgent.bS1qRU. Can anyone confirm this new version is virus free. Thank you in advance!