Question / Help OBS Using 50-75% of GPU; Looked Through Many Fixes, Nothing Helps

JacobForster

First time posting, long time user of the forum and OBS. The title pretty much says it all, but for some reason my OBS has recently been causing massive take-down of my GPU performance. For the log file below, I have no games running and the only application up is firefox (looking at this page), and my task manager. Without OBS recording, I am getting around 14-25% of GPU usage from OBS, and during recording it is a whopping 75%. For those that might point out, I do use 3840x1080 base resolution for my recording needs (separate screen for game and headshot to be edited later). I'll scale it down for some games, but for the example I used the full output rez. Tried turning off game mode, made a new scene collection with only the camera and capture display, and tried optimizing the refresh rate for both of my monitors. Still nothing working. I record daily YouTube videos so any help is imperative. <3

JacobForster

75% as reported by what? and for which portion of your GPU? (encoding, 3d, etc)
Based off of my Task Manager. Really not too sure how to check those other factors btw. Just did a test on a game with no camera, no extra frills, and purly just recording in 1080 60 fps and OBS continues to have the encoding overloaded message. I know some games are a bit better than others, but this is getting pretty frustrating for a lot of the games that I try to play and record. :/

n33333ri

im having high GPU usage suddently... aparently its the media in my scenes thats causing the problem (?)

any1 ?

carlmmii

Based off of my Task Manager. Really not too sure how to check those other factors btw. Just did a test on a game with no camera, no extra frills, and purly just recording in 1080 60 fps and OBS continues to have the encoding overloaded message. I know some games are a bit better than others, but this is getting pretty frustrating for a lot of the games that I try to play and record. :/
Task manager gives an overall percentage usage which is honestly irrelevant to what is actually happening. Your GPU has 4 separate areas of usage -- 3D, Copy, Video Encode, and Video Decode. Click on your GPU on the left-hand area, and see what activity is actually being used.

im having high GPU usage suddently... aparently its the media in my scenes thats causing the problem (?)

any1 ?
Don't hijack threads. Please post a new thread with your issue, and include a log file.