Resource icon

OBS Remote 1.12

bilhamil

Developer
bilhamil submitted a new resource:

OBS Remote - Control OBS from a second computer

As my way overdue first post on the OBS forums, I am announcing the initial (alpha) release of OBS Remote.

Want to control OBS from a second computer? If you don't have a second monitor, or use a separate computer to run OBS, OBS Remote may help you manage your stream.

The remote is currently web-based and enables you to start/stop streaming, switch scenes, enable/disable sources, reorder sources, change audio source volumes, view stream stats, and preview your twitch stream and chat.

Right...

Read more about this resource...

Last edited by a moderator:

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
This looks incredibly sick.

I don't have a need for it myself, but it's definitely cool. Great work!

modnite

I love this. Tested it out last night. I find it a lot better than monitoring my stream on my host machine. This also means I can stream games fullscreen now.

bilhamil

Developer
Sunspots said:
With some CSS tweaks and some media queries, it should be quite adaptable to mobile devices.

austinmrs said:
what about make an adroind app? that if you are connected by wireless, you can remote the stream too !

This is definitely something I am thinking about doing. Right now trying to decide between specific html+css or standalone apps. I am thinking that an app would probably be more accessible, especially given android browsers' spotty support for websockets.

modnite said:
I love this. Tested it out last night. I find it a lot better than monitoring my stream on my host machine. This also means I can stream games fullscreen now.

Glad to hear that it is working out for you :)

Warchamp7

Forum Admin
bilhamil said:
This is definitely something I am thinking about doing. Right now trying to decide between specific html+css or standalone apps. I am thinking that an app would probably be more accessible, especially given android browsers' spotty support for websockets.

Making an actual app for smartphones/tablets could open you up to BlueTooth as well could it not?

As for personal suggestions, I'd say the ability to toggle the plugin on/off and/or the ability to require credentials when connecting to it.

bilhamil

Developer
Warchamp7 said:
I'd say the ability to toggle the plugin on/off and/or the ability to require credentials when connecting to it

This is definitely something that should most likely be done, right now it's just relying on the fact that you're accessing it from a friendly ip (i.e. matches host file access list), but authentication would be best.

WickyBG

Well I installed the plugin and it works fine for my original computer from which I am streaming, but I have problem. I read everything in the site, and watched your youtube video. But dont know how to control my stream from my laptop? I want to play and streaming from my PC but how I can control scenes etc from my laptop, it has different IP than PC. Please explain me, I am nooby. :)

bilhamil

Developer
Hi Wicky,
So on your laptop open the client, and then for the host you should specify the ip address of your streaming computer. If this does not successfully connect to OBS then, you should modify the .hosts file to include your subnet. You can get this using something like http://webtools.live2support.com/nt_subnet.php . Then try again. Hope this helps.

WickyBG

Hey Bilhamil,

So, on my laptop I opened the program OBS, then joined http://client.obsremote.com/ and instead localhost, I wrote the IP of my PC then I clicked connect but still nothing... Can you explain a bit more about subnet mask, what I have actually to edit in host file?

Regards!

bilhamil

Developer
So the subnet is basically going to be the network address for your local network. The subnet length basically specifies how many bits at the beginning of your ip address is the network address. So for the ip 192.168.11.52 with a subnet mask length of 16 the 192.168.x.x part is the network address.

The .hosts file, which should be in C:\Program Files (x86)\OBS\plugins\WebSocketAPIPlugin directory for 32 bit obs, has lines for allowed subnets in it. So what you can most likely do is put the first two numbers of your ip, followed by .0.0/16 in the .hosts file and it *should* work. If this doesn't work try deleting the # in front of #0.0.0.0/0 at the end of the file, this will basically let anything connect to OBS remote, this is a kind of unsecure thing to do, but should let you know if the .hosts file is what is keeping you from connecting.

Also just as a check, are you using your steaming computer's local network ip address? (i.e. found using ipconfig?)

I'm on the road today, so it will be hard for me to respond for a little while.

JohnB

Bilhamil, just wanted to drop by and say that I love this plugin.

I've downloaded the whole package from Github, added it to my local webserver and I'm currently running a stream server locally. It works absolutely fantastic. Thanks a ton for this!

Gumby8888

Love the plugin super easy to get going for me. I have one question. Is this supposed to be showing my webcam in the preview as it does in OBS , but not in OBS remote? Just wondering if that's the later functionality you were mentioning in the video.

bilhamil

Developer
I'm glad the setup was easy for you. The preview used in the remote just uses an embedded twitch stream for the moment. If you're not using twitch, then for the moment the remote is not able to show your stream. I am going to try adding embedded streams for other stream services soon, or use local streaming if it ends up getting added to OBS.

CoreDuo

I'm having some problems connecting to the plugin from my laptop. My IP subnet should be allowed by default (192.168.1.0/24) but I'm only able to connect from localhost. I tried disabling the Windows firewall (I'm also behind a hardware firewall, so it's not a huge deal) and setting the .hosts file to 0.0.0.0/0 but still no go.

Any ideas?