Question / Help OBS Raspberry Pi Build Instructions

jhamilt0n

I get this message, not sure what I'm doing wrong

Installing OBS Websockets
-----------------------------------
fatal: could not create work tree dir 'obs-websocket': Permission denied
./installobs.sh: line 114: cd: obs-websocket/: No such file or directory
mkdir: cannot create directory ‘build’: Permission denied
CMake Error: The source directory "/" does not appear to contain CMakeLists.txt.
Specify --help for usage, or press the help button on the CMake GUI.
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.
make: *** No rule to make target 'install'. Stop.
./installobs.sh: line 119: obs: command not found
I made some changes to the obs source code so that it can be cloned and installed for arm/raspberry pi. Also edited the ndi and websocket plugins so you can install those as well.

Repos:
Script to install obs with the plugins:

Script is inspired from @eltariel
To use it, download the script, rename it to installobs.sh, then run:
Code:
chmod +x installobs.sh
./installobs.sh
Thanks. Looking forward to trying this out.
I made some changes to the obs source code so that it can be cloned and installed for arm/raspberry pi. Also edited the ndi and websocket plugins so you can install those as well.

Repos:

Code:
chmod +x installobs.sh
./installobs.sh

jhamilt0n

I am getting the following error and I'm too new to rpi to know how to resolve it. Any thoughts?

Installing OBS Websockets
-----------------------------------
fatal: could not create work tree dir 'obs-websocket': Permission denied
./installobs.sh: line 114: cd: obs-websocket/: No such file or directory
mkdir: cannot create directory ‘build’: Permission denied
CMake Error: The source directory "/" does not appear to contain CMakeLists.txt.
Specify --help for usage, or press the help button on the CMake GUI.
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.
make: *** No rule to make target 'install'. Stop.
./installobs.sh: line 119: obs: command not found
pi@raspberrypi:~/install-obs-raspberry-pi $

unko

Oh well I can't install anymore Obs on my raspberry pi. I need help downloaded the files and doesn't appear the Obs

nmaas87

Not in my knowledge.
But you can just download the older / prebuilt OBS image, flash it to an SDcard and use it as is.
However, as usual, no support or updates.

kabuto_png

As some people asked for it, I downloaded the latest Raspberry Pi OS (32 bit) / desktop today, updated it to the latest version and installed the current git version of OBS on it - thanks to the incredible work of @TheMindVirus :). Just download and burn the image with balena etcher to an at least 8 GB big MicroSD Card. The Username / Password is pi / obs

You can find the installed obs with the Override already applied to the shortcut in the startmenu under Entertainment.

I do not intend to make regular updates to this - nor give any support, as the upload of 3 GB to the net is a bit time consuming, as well as creating and packaging that image, but as a one-of to get people started this should help :)

https://mega.nz/file/w2gSXQCL#7Gp14ZcSiFZOnYuFyPaWv2RUtBm17dmGNkb8CYV5hiY

Excuse me, I can't access with the given password : obs, can you double check it?

michael9504

Thanks! I successfully installed it on the Raspberry Pi 4, but the desktop audio is only disabled. What is the reason for this problem?

Waldnerr

Repos:

Code:
chmod +x installobs.sh
./installobs.sh
Hi , thanks for your work , im having those probs compiling the NDI :
Building CXX object CMakeFiles/obs-ndi.dir/src/obs-ndi-output.cpp.o
In file included from /usr/include/obs/graphics/vec4.h:22,
from /usr/include/obs/graphics/vec3.h:21,
from /usr/include/obs/obs.h:26,
from /usr/include/obs/obs-module.h:20,
from /home/pi/obs-ndi/src/obs-ndi-source.cpp:23:
/usr/include/obs/util/sse-intrin.h:63:10: fatal error: xmmintrin.h: No such file or directory
#include <xmmintrin.h>
^~~~~~~~~~~~~
from /home/pi/obs-ndi/src/obs-ndi.cpp:25:
/usr/include/obs/util/sse-intrin.h:63:10: fatal error: xmmintrin.h: No such file or directory
#include <xmmintrin.h>
^~~~~~~~~~~~~
from /home/pi/obs-ndi/src/obs-ndi-filter.cpp:23:
#include <xmmintrin.h>
^~~~~~~~~~~~~
from /home/pi/obs-ndi/src/obs-ndi-output.cpp:19:
#include <xmmintrin.h>
^~~~~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.
How to solve this please ?
Thanks a lot

Lu1

Hi, I followed all the commands on the original post but I receive the following error when I open OBS:
"Failed to initialize video. Your GPU may not be supported, or your graphics drivers may need to be updated."
I'm running on a raspbery pi 4 with latest drivers. Please help

xbelanch

Actually I have a bunch of compilation errors following the steps from the original post:

Bash:
[ 42%] Building C object plugins/obs-filters/CMakeFiles/obs-filters.dir/rnnoise/src/celt_lpc.c.o
/usr/bin/ld: ../../../libobs/libobs.so.0: undefined reference to `RTMP_LogSetLevel'
/usr/bin/ld: ../../../libobs/libobs.so.0: undefined reference to `mmal_buffer_header_release'
/usr/bin/ld: ../../../libobs/libobs.so.0: undefined reference to `SSL_CTX_free'
/usr/bin/ld: ../../../libobs/libobs.so.0: undefined reference to `soxr_set_error'
/usr/bin/ld: ../../../libobs/libobs.so.0: undefined reference to `vpx_codec_get_caps'
/usr/bin/ld: ../../../libobs/libobs.so.0: undefined reference to `aom_codec_error'
/usr/bin/ld: ../../../libobs/libobs.so.0: undefined reference to `vaInitialize'
/usr/bin/ld: ../../../libobs/libobs.so.0: undefined reference to `ssh_userauth_none'
(more undefined references here)
/usr[ 42%] Building C object plugins/obs-transitions/CMakeFiles/obs-transitions.dir/obs-transitions.c.o
/bin/ld: ../../../libobs/libobs.so.0: undefined reference to `opus_multistream_encoder_ctl'
/usr/bin/ld: ../../../libobs/libobs.so.0: undefined reference to `RTMP_SetupURL'
/usr/bin/ld: ../../../libobs/libobs.so.0: undefined reference to `vaTerminate'
/usr/bin/ld: ../../../libobs/libobs.so.0: undefined reference to `vpx_codec_decode'
/usr/bin/ld: ../../../libobs/libobs.so.0: undefined reference to `drmGetNodeTypeFromFd'
/usr/bin/ld: ../../../libobs/libobs.so.0: undefined reference to `vaSetInfoCallback'
(more undefined references here)
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [plugins/obs-ffmpeg/ffmpeg-mux/CMakeFiles/obs-ffmpeg-mux.dir/build.make:88: plugins/obs-ffmpeg/ffmpeg-mux/obs-ffmpeg-mux] Error 1
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:1526: plugins/obs-ffmpeg/ffmpeg-mux/CMakeFiles/obs-ffmpeg-mux.dir/all] Error 2

KolpixTV

if i want to start obs this error comes:

Failed to initialize video. Your GPU may not be supported, or your graphics drivers may need to be updated.

AaronD

if i want to start obs this error comes:

Failed to initialize video. Your GPU may not be supported, or your graphics drivers may need to be updated.

I got the same error. This fixed it for me:

<Edit>
Since the preview doesn't actually show it, the relevant part is:
MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=3.3 obs
</Edit>

I tried to edit the desktop entry to run that instead, but apparently it became invalid when I did that. So I wrote a script with that one line in it and pointed the desktop entry to the script. That works.

KorPip

Excuse my ignorance in these matters.
I seen this thread a few months back and had an idea for a project based on assumptions that I think now are wrong and was wondering if anyone could help/clarify something for me.

I am new to OBS and Pi's in general but calmly following the directions in several post around the internet I was able to get a pi 4 8gb up and running with OBS launching.

My problem is with my webcams.
I have a C270 and it works very well with gunuview and other camera applications but does not populate properly in OBS and never allows the feed to work in it.
I am able to use a suggested method of bypassing by using gunuview and window capturing it but I would like to slim down my operation.

Wanting to be cautious with my funds I opted to try using an old Android phone via DroidCam. Both the free version and the tweaks made to make HD work had the same results with gunuview working fine and OBS not being able to populate itself.

Am I able to use a webcam directly with OBS? Am I using the wrong hardware? Will I ever cook rice in a pot perfectly?

2bla

Doesn't compile on my Raspberry PI 400. Will wait for OBS Project to make it effortless. Thank you all for your insights.

xbelanch

Just released a script that allows me to compile successfully ffmpeg and OBS on Pi 4: https://github.com/xbelanch/OBS4Pi.
On the other hand, I tried to make OBS work trought Cygwin + SSH. It works until I try to stream or recording:

Code:
Note: If you are using the NVENC or AMD encoders, make sure your video drivers are up to date.

Checking the log I found:

Code:
[AVHWDeviceContext @ 0x16ebba0] No VA display found for device: /dev/dri/renderD128.

warning: [FFMPEG VAAPI encoder: 'streaming_h264'] Failed to create VAAPI device context: Invalid argument

warning: Stream output type 'rtmp_output' failed to start!

Any clue or help will be most welcome!

Tuna

HW encoder on Pi is implemented via OMX not VAAPI. There is no officil support for an OMX encoder in OBS.

xbelanch

I found that I can select h264_omx as a video encoder in the "Recording" advanced options from the Output configuration. But still I'm stuck with streaming options. It's only avalaible two encoder options: x264 and VAAPI. So must I understand that's not possible using OBS as a streaming tool on Raspberry Pi 4 for now?

Tuna

There is a GStreamer plugin available you may want to look at if interested. It exposes some special encoders. It is completely untested on Pi. So chances that is works out of the box may be slim. It has been tested with Nvidia Jetson though. So it may only require small changes/tweaks/fix to make it run on Pi.

Last edited: