Resource icon

obs-ndi - NewTek NDI™ integration into OBS Studio 4.13.0

Andrew Pealock

Is there a donation page that we can give some money towards the development? I was searching all over github but could not find it. Thanks!

Palakis

Developer
Palakis updated obs-ndi - NewTek NDI™ integration into OBS Studio with a new update entry:

obs-ndi 4.3.0

Changes since 4.2.3
  • New source sync mode: "Source Timing". When selected, it makes use of the frame timestamps as provided by the remote sender.
    • If you run into A/V desync issues in your two-PC OBS streaming setup, give this sync mode a try on the streaming computer.
  • New source options: YUV Range and Colorspace. If you don't know what these are, leave these two settings to "Default".
  • Source bugfix: video not cleared when switching to Audio Only mode...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Palakis

Developer
Was wondering how many channels of audio NDI supports? Would it for example support the 5.1 surround option?

It supports up to 7.1 surround! Tested it to make sure, and both source and output support surround. 7.1 is the upper limit though, because the max channels limit is hardcoded to 8.

Palakis

Developer
After installing the NDI Runtime I get slow internet. I have a 400 mbit connection and now I only get around 100 mbit. I have not fond any way to fix this problem and even uninstalling the runtime didn't fix it and I know for sure that the NDI runtime is causing this problem as I have also tested it on another computer. Can somebody help me?

The NewTek NDI Runtime installer changes some Windows networking settings, but I'm not sure why they're doing this. Anyway, have a look at this comment: https://github.com/Palakis/obs-ndi/issues/59#issuecomment-337799303

Palakis

Developer
Is there a donation page that we can give some money towards the development? I was searching all over github but could not find it. Thanks!

I should probably setup a donation button or something. In the meantime, I can provide you my PayPal address via PM.

botao

Hoping to have more Video quality settings! Higher bitrate and higher framerate!
And maybe im wrong but I found my stream with NDI soemtimes not seem to be true 60fps, I am guessing it is using variable frame rate to save some bandwidth?It will be great if I can select or see what bitrate or framerate I am using.
(sorry for my bad 3ngIand)

nesbej

What determines the resolution of the NDI Output? I ask because my main PC is at 1440p and I'd like to do the downscaling there since it has more resources to spare. Does NDI output only the raw video (aka 1440p) or does it follow whatever OBS has set in the Video settings tab?

If I want the 2nd PC to only do encoding and not any scaling, how should I have the Base(Canvas) and Output settings on the respective PCs?

Palakis

Developer
Hoping to have more Video quality settings! Higher bitrate and higher framerate!
And maybe im wrong but I found my stream with NDI soemtimes not seem to be true 60fps, I am guessing it is using variable frame rate to save some bandwidth?It will be great if I can select or see what bitrate or framerate I am using.
(sorry for my bad 3ngIand)

NDI has no bitrate control (expect high or low in source settings) and doesn't do any variable framerate at all. The unstable framerate can be caused by several factors. I suggest you to check your OS, software, hardware and network for possible bottlenecks and interference.

Palakis

Developer
What determines the resolution of the NDI Output? I ask because my main PC is at 1440p and I'd like to do the downscaling there since it has more resources to spare. Does NDI output only the raw video (aka 1440p) or does it follow whatever OBS has set in the Video settings tab?

If I want the 2nd PC to only do encoding and not any scaling, how should I have the Base(Canvas) and Output settings on the respective PCs?

The resolution of the main NDI output uses the output subsystem of OBS, and hence uses whatever resolution is set in Output Resolution. Same applies to the framerate.

botao

NDI has no bitrate control (expect high or low in source settings) and doesn't do any variable framerate at all. The unstable framerate can be caused by several factors. I suggest you to check your OS, software, hardware and network for possible bottlenecks and interference.
Thanks for the advice! Is it possible in the future to have even higher bitrate?

aditrex

Hello guyz i recently bought second pc and im trying to stream from it but for some reason the cpu usage goes crazy as soon i start ndi plugin i know it should be enough for x264 endcoing but for some reason cpu usage goes crazy here are the specs from both pc

gaming pc
amd r5 1600@ 3.9ghz
16gb ddr4 2933mhz
gtx 980 ti
ssd 250gigs and 1tb drive

Secondery streaming pc
intel xeon x5650 3.6ghz
6gigs ddr3 ram
1tb hard drive
radon x1300 very old graphics card which i asuming is the problem

so i dont have any other graphics card to install right now trying to get another one but isnt like im encoding stream on cpu like you dont need gpu at all? or im wrong here im using like 720@ 60fps at 4500bitrate with veryfast preset and cpu usage goes 100% which i belive is unrealistic for 6 core xeon processor at 3.6ghz

Andrew Pealock

Hello guyz i recently bought second pc and im trying to stream from it but for some reason the cpu usage goes crazy as soon i start ndi plugin i know it should be enough for x264 endcoing but for some reason cpu usage goes crazy here are the specs from both pc

gaming pc
amd r5 1600@ 3.9ghz
16gb ddr4 2933mhz
gtx 980 ti
ssd 250gigs and 1tb drive

Secondery streaming pc
intel xeon x5650 3.6ghz
6gigs ddr3 ram
1tb hard drive
radon x1300 very old graphics card which i asuming is the problem

so i dont have any other graphics card to install right now trying to get another one but isnt like im encoding stream on cpu like you dont need gpu at all? or im wrong here im using like 720@ 60fps at 4500bitrate with veryfast preset and cpu usage goes 100% which i belive is unrealistic for 6 core xeon processor at 3.6ghz

Could you possibly screenshot your task manager (or even better Process Explorer) and upload that? I am curious to see the actual numbers and usage patterns. Something definitely seems to be out of line.

aditrex

i know netwrok is maxed out cuz i still dont have swtich but im getting that aswell but that should inpact my performance on streaming pc

Attachments

• obs screen1.png
    obs screen1.png
    383.6 KB · Views: 153
  • obs screen 2.png
    obs screen 2.png
    326.7 KB · Views: 150

aditrex

the funny part of this this is already like 100% usage without outputing the stream or playing games which is unbeliveble

BroBase

So this is weird. Since I installed the NDI plugin I had issues with some internet services (like 50% of them) where my connection allowed me to use only 20% of my true speed. After trying everything to fix this (including new hardware and cables) I threw in the towel and gave in to reinstalling. Guess what: fixed!

UNTIL I installed the NDI plugin. Now my issue persists in the same way as it did before. Is this a common and fixable issue?

EDIT: apologies, I should do more research before I post, someone else fixed the problem to the issue which is:

all you have to do to reset your TCP settings as they were with a fresh windows install is:
netsh int tcp reset

Last edited:

kllswitch

is there a way to specify a certain network card for the plugin to use? I have a 10gb network card directly linked to my streamPC that id rather use but not have to disconect my regular gigabit card every time?

jon smith44

I have a PTZoptics 20X SDI Gen 2 camera and a 12x camera and a few questions about NDI

1) The NewTek Studio Monitor performance is too poor for use in a live broadcast (is everyone noticing this)? It incurs around 100ms of delay but using something like OBS results in half that! Those are figures from just reading the NDI stream using Studio Monitor/OBS. Unfortunately, once you use OBS to output a new (mixed) stream over NDI, and receive it on other systems, you're looking at 200ms of delay (if using OBS to read it) or 300ms if using the Studio Monitor on the receiving system. This are figures on machines and wired networks that have tons of headroom, so I am surprised if this isn't impacting everyone. Any recommendations here for getting the OBS NDI output to be snappier? I've have tried all bandwidth settings (lower has the same latency but is sending much less data) and hardware acceleration settings (no impact on latency)

2) I was trying to troubleshoot a black screen/OBS on the receiving computers for a couple of hours before I found out it toggling the "async" checkbox got the stream working. I know there has been talk of removing the checkbox as it is "unneeded" so could someone suggest why this got things working? I'm using Windows 10 on all machines, and I am pretty sure the firewalls were all off.