OBS Freezes on a scene but doesn't actually fully "Crash"

tinyjams

In the case of the OP, yes, it was the plugin.
Hey thanks for popping back in here, I'm still lost on how to find the plugin uninstallers, other than just deleting the dll files, so I haven't advanced on that yet.

I don't mind if someone else who's having the same issue wants to join the discussion, any advice or similar problems are helpful to hear (for me anyway). From that comment I learned about "Hardware-accelerated GPU Scheduling" which hadn't been mentioned. Siloing off conversations makes it harder to learn new things.

PaiSand

I'm still lost on how to find the plugin uninstallers.
In the same place other uninstallers are in Windows, inside Programs and Features
Look for them there and use the uninstaller. Then go to %appdata%\obs-studio\ and look for the leftover files. Delete them.

Then, uninstall OBS and reinstall it. This way you make sure all the older plugins not compatible with OBS 28+ are removed. The OBS uninstaller remove all the files and folders within C:\Program Files\obs-studio.

dighawaii

This just started happening to me out of the blue. I run a 24/7 stream and nothing has changed that I'm aware of. been using these scenes for a couple years now. HAGS is off, Analyzer finds no issues, there are no windows logs to clue me in, nothing strange in task manager, rolling back drivers, nothing.

Nothing makes sense, as it just started happening on it's own.

I'm getting "rendering lag" in the ~1000 frames per freeze, every 30s or so....

shanewilkinson

Chat GPT
Response

Sure, I can help you with that! When OBS (Open Broadcaster Software) freezes on a scene but doesn't fully crash, there are a few steps you can try to resolve the issue:
  1. Update OBS: Make sure you have the latest version of OBS installed. Newer updates often come with bug fixes and improvements that can address freezing issues.
  2. Check System Requirements: Ensure that your computer meets the minimum system requirements to run OBS smoothly. OBS can be resource-intensive, so it's important to have a capable system.
  3. Restart OBS: Sometimes, a simple restart of OBS can resolve temporary glitches causing the freezing.
  4. Check Hardware Acceleration: In OBS settings, you can try disabling hardware acceleration. Go to Settings > Advanced > General, and uncheck "Use hardware acceleration when available." This might help if your GPU or drivers are causing the issue.
  5. Disable Overlays and Plugins: If you have third-party overlays or plugins installed, they might be causing conflicts. Try disabling them one by one to identify the culprit.
  6. Lower Scene Complexity: If your scene has many sources, consider reducing the complexity by removing unnecessary sources, effects, or widgets.
  7. Reinstall Graphics Drivers: Outdated or corrupted graphics drivers can cause freezing issues. Reinstall or update your GPU drivers to the latest version.
  8. Check for Conflicting Software: Other software running in the background might interfere with OBS. Try closing unnecessary applications and processes before starting OBS.
  9. Test Different Output Methods: In the Output settings, try using different output methods (e.g., x264, NVENC, or AMD VCE) to see if any specific encoder is causing the freezes.
  10. Adjust OBS Settings: In the Output settings, experiment with different bitrate, keyframe interval, and resolution settings to find the best configuration for your system.
  11. Clean Reinstall OBS: If none of the above steps work, try uninstalling OBS completely and then reinstalling it from scratch.
  12. Check OBS Logs: OBS generates logs that might contain clues about the freezing issue. Go to Help > Log Files > Show Log Files in OBS to access the logs.
Remember to test OBS after each step to check if the issue is resolved. If the problem persists, you may want to seek help from the OBS community forums or their official support channels for more specific troubleshooting tailored to your setup.

sanamation

Attempt number 3. I have disabled "Hardware-accelerated GPU Scheduling". Once again, the problem has disappeared
It literally just started happening to me out of the blue. I am going to try turning the hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling off.
I've been using and recording with OBS for 3 years.

Then out the blue, before i even begin recording, it just freezes on screen. The only thing turned on is my video capture device. I can hide the device and OBS still works. Just freezes the screen. So fuckin annoying. Going to try the hardware-accelerated thing