OBS Freezes on a scene but doesn't actually fully "Crash"

tinyjams

This has happened to me twice now - OBS will freeze up on a scene and my stream will stop. None of the indicators on "stats" point towards any issues such as CPU usage, memory usage, etc. being an issue. Can anyone look at this log file and help me diagnose? I'm pretty sure it's happened on my [4] VISUALS scene both times. Noting on that scene is any different that my others, just a slightly different layout.

I'm sorry guys I'm not the most advanced OBS user but I'm leaning. Do I maybe have a stray, old, incompatible plugin causing this? I thought I removed all of those, but maybe I missed something that you guys can see from this log that I don't.

Because it doesn't fully "crash" a crash file isn't generated.

*Before anyone says it - Yes, I now know updating to Windows 11 was a mistake. It's past the 10 days and I'm not fully confident in my skills to revert but I'll look into getting some help on that elsewhere at a later date. For now, i just want to be able to stream again without worrying about a freeze.

Thank you guys for ANY assistance!

Attachments

• 2023-02-09 17-42-38.txt
    94.4 KB · Views: 158

PaiSand

Start completelly removing the stream elements plugin,uninstalling it and removing all the leftover files in your system. Further support on this must be asked to streamelements support.
Then test again. Make sure all the other plugins are fully updated and compatible with the OBS version you're using.

tinyjams

Start completelly removing the stream elements plugin,uninstalling it and removing all the leftover files in your system. Further support on this must be asked to streamelementes support.
Then test again. Make sure all the other plugins are fully updated and compatible with the OBS version you're using.
Thanks - I didn't mess with Steam Elements after the OBS/Win 11 update at all so I will do that first. Based on what you're seeing - Other than Stream FX - do you see any plugins left over that I can just delete? I'd like to just ditch everything and kinda start over. The OBS Plugins folder has a ton of stuff that I'm having a hard time distinguishing between old plugins I may have tired and never used, and necessary files that come with the software.

Would uninstalling OBS and doing a fresh install take care of this maybe? Sorry, i'm really bad with file structure and working behind the scenes in Windows (Mac OS user since 2001 and this is my first Windows machine ever)

PaiSand

First use the uninstallers of this plugins. Then you can uninstall OBS and reinstall it.
Normally the leftovers files are located in %appdata%\obs-studio\ subfolders.

Make a backup of the profiles and scene collections you have and then procede. If you're using any filter of any of this plugins, remove the filters first to avoid other issues.
Basically, common sense.

tinyjams

First use the uninstallers of this plugins. Then you can uninstall OBS and reinstall it.
Normally the leftovers files are located in %appdata%\obs-studio\ subfolders.

Make a backup of the profiles and scene collections you have and then procede. If you're using any filter of any of this plugins, remove the filters first to avoid other issues.
Basically, common sense.
Sorry, maybe I'm not being clear. Is there a way to distinguish between OBS system plugins that come with the software and anything I may have installed and don't remember? There are 141 files in that folder. I know I didn't install that many plugins. Just not sure how to tell what to remove.

PaiSand

Read what I wrote and you quoted. That's the fastest way to remove all the plugins without knowing them all. Common sense.
Stop adding plugins. In OBS less is better. Unless you know exactly what you're doing.

tinyjams

Read what I wrote and you quoted. That's the fastest way to remove all the plugins without knowing them all. Common sense.
Stop adding plugins. In OBS less is better. Unless you know exactly what you're doing.
"Common sense" to you, someone who knows the ins and outs of the software, is much different to someone who is new and learning, and it just isn't a helpful comment. If that's your attitude, just know, it isn't helpful and isn't appreciated.

PaiSand

All of them. Uninstall the 2 that has unisntallers, remove the leftover files as described, uninstall OBS and then reinstall OBS. Now you have a clean instalation that works, unless you did something bad in between.

tinyjams

All of them. Uninstall the 2 that has unisntallers, remove the leftover files as described, uninstall OBS and then reinstall OBS. Now you have a clean instalation that works, unless you did something bad in between.
Ok, thanks. I think I'm still missing something. All my research is pointing to just deleting the dll files to un-install a plugin. For reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xwpXbQc2zA
So it's safe to uninstall everything ... Is there anything beyond dragging the files to the trash to uninstall? Just dump the whole plugin folder to the trash?

tokkiheikkila

This has happened to me twice now - OBS will freeze up on a scene and my stream will stop. None of the indicators on "stats" point towards any issues such as CPU usage, memory usage, etc. being an issue. Can anyone look at this log file and help me diagnose? I'm pretty sure it's happened on my [4] VISUALS scene both times. Noting on that scene is any different that my others, just a slightly different layout.

I'm sorry guys I'm not the most advanced OBS user but I'm leaning. Do I maybe have a stray, old, incompatible plugin causing this? I thought I removed all of those, but maybe I missed something that you guys can see from this log that I don't.

Because it doesn't fully "crash" a crash file isn't generated.

*Before anyone says it - Yes, I now know updating to Windows 11 was a mistake. It's past the 10 days and I'm not fully confident in my skills to revert but I'll look into getting some help on that elsewhere at a later date. For now, i just want to be able to stream again without worrying about a freeze.

Thank you guys for ANY assistance!
Try disabling this "Hardware-accelerated GPU Scheduling".
It is located in the parameters>System>Display>Graphics

1676077568937.png

tokkiheikkila

I have this problem disappeared "I have been testing for 20 hours".
I have read a huge number of topics on the forum dedicated to this problem. And in 99% of cases, no one responds to people. In the rest, people are told "delete the plugin, it's because of plugins".
No fucking it's not because of plugins.
As soon as I have a moral rest (because the solution to this problem has exhausted me emotionally) I will collect all the files, create a theme and send it there.

I'll tell you in advance. that I checked this problem on 4 versions of OBS (OBS 27.2.4 OBS 28.1.2 OBS 29.0.0 & OBS 29.0.2 completely clean, no plugins, with one scene and one source)
I reinstalled Windows on 10 and 11
I tried two graphics cards 1660ti and 3060ti
I tried 5 versions of Nvidia drivers
526.86 (the earliest was from November 2022) and the problem remained.

Before I disabled "Hardware-accelerated GPU Scheduling". I changed the screen capture method from "DXGI Desktop Duplication" to "Windows 10", this helped solve the problem for 4-6 hours.
But then she reappeared. Suddenly the preview window freezes. And the bitrate drops to 0. The OBS logs are absolutely normal. The crash file is not being created.

Last edited:

sandrix

I have this problem disappeared "I have been testing for 20 hours".
I have read a huge number of topics on the forum dedicated to this problem. And in 99% of cases, no one responds to people. In the rest, people are told "delete the plugin, it's because of plugins".
No fucking it's not because of plugins.
As soon as I have a moral rest (because the solution to this problem has exhausted me emotionally) I will collect all the files, create a theme and send it there.

I'll tell you in advance. that I checked this problem on 4 versions of OBS (OBS 27.2.4 OBS 28.1.2 OBS 29.0.0 & OBS 29.0.2 completely clean, no plugins, with one scene and one source)
I reinstalled Windows on 10 and 11
I tried two graphics cards 1660ti and 3060ti
I tried 5 versions of Nvidia drivers
526.86 (the earliest was from November 2022) and the problem remained.

Before I disabled "Hardware-accelerated GPU Scheduling". I changed the screen capture method from "DXGI Desktop Duplication" to "Windows 10", this helped solve the problem for 4-6 hours.
But then she reappeared. Suddenly the preview window freezes. And the bitrate drops to 0. The OBS logs are absolutely normal. The crash file is not being created.
Unfortunately, you simply did not search correctly or in the wrong place. All you had to do was analyze your log file with an analyzer. In most cases, it points to potential problems and their solutions. Never trust videos on youtube, usually the authors of these videos have no idea what they are talking about. Most of the solutions are in the knowledge base.

On this forum, ordinary guys are enthusiasts who help others based on their knowledge and free time. Most questions are always answered, especially if the user has provided a log file. You are not right.

tokkiheikkila

Unfortunately, you simply did not search correctly or in the wrong place. All you had to do was analyze your log file with an analyzer. In most cases, it points to potential problems and their solutions. Never trust videos on youtube, usually the authors of these videos have no idea what they are talking about. Most of the solutions are in the knowledge base.

On this forum, ordinary guys are enthusiasts who help others based on their knowledge and free time. Most questions are always answered, especially if the user has provided a log file. You are not right.
I have now downloaded OBS 27. Enabled "Hardware-accelerated GPU Scheduling". Launched a test stream. First I added 1 source. Then I changed the screen capture method to "DXGI Desktop Duplication" and the OBS broke down after a few seconds. There are no error messages. The preview window just hung up. And the bitrate dropped to 0. I can open the settings. Add other sources. OBS behaves as usual except that the preview window is frozen.

Attachments

• 2023-02-11 11-48-21.txt
    11.1 KB · Views: 22

sandrix

I have now downloaded OBS 27. Enabled "Hardware-accelerated GPU Scheduling". Launched a test stream. First I added 1 source. Then I changed the screen capture method to "DXGI Desktop Duplication" and the OBS broke down after a few seconds. There are no error messages. The preview window just hung up. And the bitrate dropped to 0. I can open the settings. Add other sources. OBS behaves as usual except that the preview window is frozen.
This is a well known problem. I'm sorry you had to deal with this.

tokkiheikkila

Attempt number 2. All I did was change "DXGI Desktop Duplication" to "Windows 10"
The preview window just hung up. And the bitrate dropped to 0

Attachments

• 2023-02-11 11-59-10.txt
    8.7 KB · Views: 11

tokkiheikkila

Attempt number 3. I have disabled "Hardware-accelerated GPU Scheduling". Once again, the problem has disappeared

Attachments

• 2023-02-11 12-08-51.txt
    14.6 KB · Views: 29

tinyjams

Then I changed the screen capture method to "DXGI Desktop Duplication"

I see you guys discussing the screen capture method. I can't seem to find this as a setting. I'm only using an EVGA external capture card for my Sony a7ii and an additional Logitech webcam. No game source or window capture. All other sources are VLC or browser based. Where should I be checking for this?

All you had to do was analyze your log file with an analyzer

Thanks for this - I have been searching the forum before posting, and this is the first i've seen this mentioned. This was helpful.

tokkiheikkila

I see you guys discussing the screen capture method. I can't seem to find this as a setting. I'm only using an EVGA external capture card for my Sony a7ii and an additional Logitech webcam. No game source or window capture. All other sources are VLC or browser based. Where should I be checking for this?
This won't solve the problem

You need to disable this "Hardware-accelerated GPU Scheduling".

It is located in the Windows Settings section Settings>System>Display>Graphics

Attachments

• 1676082060565.png
    1676082060565.png
    34 KB · Views: 89

PaiSand

Attempt number 3.
Please dont' hijack others threads.
If you have an issue not covered by the analizer or have not found a solution with it, create your own thread.
Normally, when an issue is not responded is due to the fact that this same issue was already answered several times that same day or day before it.
In the case of the OP, yes, it was the plugin. This same issue happened to a lot of people since the 29 update and previously the 28 update. And before that too, when this plugin used to changed core files of OBS causing issues.
And yes, he need to turn off HAGS too.

Last edited: