dergiation

I like to be able to capture gameplay in a format that is ready for editing in Adobe Premiere Pro. Which is why I still use Dxtory. When I record with Dxtory the file I get in the end allows me to import the file into Premiere with all the audio tracks onto the timeline without transcoding, but when I use OBS with the same video/audio codecs selected I dont get the same results. I feel like there is some kind of muxer settings I can use or audio but im not sure. I've tried using the write_channel_mask (see "AVI Muxer Options (FFmpeg" below) parameter because in the ffmpeg documentation it said it's used for compatibility with software that only supports a single audio stream in AVI, but no luck. I've also tried recording to MKV format and remuxing back to avi, still no luck. I have been searching for a solution for this for months now but had no luck. If anyone can help me out I'd really appreciate it!

So this is right here is my problem. I would like to get right to editing, but with the way obs makes it I would have to extract the audio streams everytime.
So how can I have OBS structure the AVI file the DxTory does?

Comparison on timeline.png

AVI Muxer Options (FFmpeg):
Avi Muxer options.png

OBS Custom Output (FFmpeg) Settings (Also my Dxtory settings for comparison)
OBS Custom Output (FFmpeg).png
Dxtory Video Settings.png
Dxtory Audio Settings.png

(Not sure if this info could help but it's here)
OBS Mediainfo.png
DxTory Mediainfo.png

Attachments

• OBS Log.txt
    11.6 KB · Views: 25

dergiation

TLDR:
I am trying to take advantage of the FFmpeg custom output so I can record to a codec that is built for editing so that I don't have to waste time transcoding the footage or making a proxy later, like what I have to do with the standard recording. Just trying to improve my workflow.

FerretBomb

ffmpeg output usage is at-your-own-risk. We can't really help with it here, just point you at the ffmpeg documentation... it's really a 'not our circus, not our clowns' situation.

If it isn't outputting correctly, we can only really advise recording to MKV and remuxing to MP4 for use with most editing programs. A remux takes seconds in most cases, and can be set (in Settings->Advanced) to be done automatically on completion of a recording. I can confirm that both DaVinci Resolve and Vegas are able to see and break out multitrack audio in remuxed MKV->MP4s, though I do not have a copy of Premiere to test with. I'd be happy to provide a sample known-good remuxed .mp4 if needed, for testing purposes.
Also, I may be misremembering... isn't AVI generally a deprecated format in most workflows, at this point?

dergiation

ffmpeg output usage is at-your-own-risk. We can't really help with it here, just point you at the ffmpeg documentation... it's really a 'not our circus, not our clowns' situation.

If it isn't outputting correctly, we can only really advise recording to MKV and remuxing to MP4 for use with most editing programs. A remux takes seconds in most cases, and can be set (in Settings->Advanced) to be done automatically on completion of a recording. I can confirm that both DaVinci Resolve and Vegas are able to see and break out multitrack audio in remuxed MKV->MP4s, though I do not have a copy of Premiere to test with. I'd be happy to provide a sample known-good remuxed .mp4 if needed, for testing purposes.
Also, I may be misremembering... isn't AVI generally a deprecated format in most workflows, at this point?
Thanks for your input on this, just didn't know if there was anything I could do about it. And yea I guess AVI is quite an old format but it is also the only format that the codec I use supports, Magicyuv.