OBS Crashing on Catalina/iMac Pro

chandlergrace

I am new to OBS and I have tried adjusting settings based on recommendations that I have found, but I am concerned that something else my be at play here.

Typically OBS will run without issue for up to two hours prior to "going live". Typically after I have switched the scene to the Live scene it will run for about 10 minutes and then crash. I am streaming to restream.io and that goes to 4 destinations:
  • Mixcloud
  • Twitch
  • YouTube
  • Facebook
I had initially thought that the issue was with Facebook because if I disabled the stream from restream.io to FB, OBS seems to not crash and all is good. Today however I was not streaming at all, just setting up a new "goodbye" scene (OBS crashed once during that process) and looking that Settings window (OBS crashed twice during that process).

OBS Scene/Source configuration:
  • Countdown
    • Video with audio (Short, On loop)
    • Image - Show title
    • Image - My name
    • Text box "Starting in:"
    • Text box - Countdown (read from external file provided by My Stream TImer)
  • Live (I have two to choose from, basically the same, just one has an extra image/logo included on it that I setup today)
    • Video without audio (1 hour long, on loop)
    • Image - Show title
    • Image - My name
    • URL - Restream Chat overlay
    • Audio source - Main content, comes from audio interface
  • Goodbye (Setup today, never been used)
    • Video without audio (1 hour long, on loop)
    • Image - Show title
    • Image - My name
    • Image - Goodby message
    • Audio source - Main content, comes from audio interface
The settings I tried tweaking today were:
  1. Changed the Output Encoder settings to hardware as opposed to the x264 default setting
  2. Rescale Output dropped to lower setting
  3. Increased bitrate to 3000 Kbps
System this is running on is 2017 iMac Pro with plenty of horsepower (see screenshot below). Internet speed of both upload and download are fast and, though I used to think that maybe this was an issue, I do not believe this to be the case as OBS crashed multiple times today and I was not streaming.

The last log file can be found here (https://obsproject.com/logs/ZJKNS0j-cTl0ZLmN)

Any help would be extremely appreciated because I am at a loss of what else to try.
Screen Shot 2020-07-22 at 7.21.55 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-22 at 7.49.26 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-22 at 7.55.19 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-22 at 7.21.55 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-22 at 7.21.55 AM.png
    131.3 KB · Views: 21
Did you try a process of elimination test? Build a new scene collection with one scene. Test stream. Add one source. Test stream. Add another source. Test stream. Rinse , repeat until it crashes. Or doesnt. Maybe the scene collection is corrupt. Either way you might get closer to the cause of the crashing.

chandlergrace

I have to a point, but not as thorough as you suggested yet. I will try and leave it up and running throughout the day today to see what happens though. I am concerned that maybe it is the video in the main scene which is actually an hour long.

Did you try a process of elimination test? Build a new scene collection with one scene. Test stream. Add one source. Test stream. Add another source. Test stream. Rinse , repeat until it crashes. Or doesnt. Maybe the scene collection is corrupt. Either way you might get closer to the cause of the crashing.

Yes I know its not fun work, especially as in your case it takes time for the crash to materialize. If you suspect the video, which isnt a bad guess, try creating a short (10 min) version and try that. Try looping the short video. Try mp4, mov, prores, mjpeg different formats to see if its an encoding issue. I'm in a similar boat right now trying to figure out why my quality is so poor. Its thankless work but its scientific (somewhat) and we should be smarter (one way or another) at the end of it.

Good luck

chandlergrace

Hey, anything that makes us smarter, right!?!?

The countdown scene that I have does contain a very short video, less than a minute that loops as well, and I have never seen it crash with this. The longer video that is an hour long (encoded as MP4) is when I usually see crashes, so I am going to be starting there.

I can say, that once it has crashed a few times (Always in the middle of streaming...of course) it doesn't crash once I disable streaming to Facebook, but this may be a coincidence. I usually get frustrated by the second crash and just disable that stream.

I will post what I find while executing the scientific method...cg

Yes I know its not fun work, especially as in your case it takes time for the crash to materialize. If you suspect the video, which isnt a bad guess, try creating a short (10 min) version and try that. Try looping the short video. Try mp4, mov, prores, mjpeg different formats to see if its an encoding issue. I'm in a similar boat right now trying to figure out why my quality is so poor. Its thankless work but its scientific (somewhat) and we should be smarter (one way or another) at the end of it.

Good luck

chandlergrace

I tried changing the video source from just Media Source to VLC Video Source but OBS still crashed. I did see the below in the crash report, but it isn't pointing to anywhere in particular to look at

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_INSTRUCTION (SIGILL)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000001, 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

chandlergrace

Update:
I swapped all video players back to the standard Media Source and took my hour+ long video into Premiere and lowered the bitrate on it from 16 down to 5 (I am not terribly concerned with quality since it is just for something visual, the main thing I stream is music anyway and the video is made to look like a choppy VCR tape). This reduced the file size of the video from 7.18 GB to 2.4 GB.

OBS ran without issue all through the night (I actually forgot to turn it off). This morning I had restarted my computer and launched OBS again. The video has been on loop for about 4 hours now without issue.

I am hopeful that this was the issue, but I guess that I will know for certain come Sunday during my live stream if it actually crashes. Fingers crossed though

misterlee

Update:
I swapped all video players back to the standard Media Source and took my hour+ long video into Premiere and lowered the bitrate on it from 16 down to 5 (I am not terribly concerned with quality since it is just for something visual, the main thing I stream is music anyway and the video is made to look like a choppy VCR tape). This reduced the file size of the video from 7.18 GB to 2.4 GB.

OBS ran without issue all through the night (I actually forgot to turn it off). This morning I had restarted my computer and launched OBS again. The video has been on loop for about 4 hours now without issue.

There are several reports of other users experiencing crashes (including me) when using VLC Video Source. Welcome to the club!