OBS branch with AMD VCE support.

harryzup

you need to install both versions of MS C++ redistributeable to run 32 or 64 bit versions. If you are just using one or the other, you will need the C++ version that coinsides with your version of OBS-VCE (32 or 64bit)
See OP for more details:
https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/obs-branch-with-amd-vce-support.13996

EDIT: @harryzup, you might need to uninstall and reinstall drivers with DDU. do it as instructed by restarting in safemode.

removed the drivers using ddu and im about to try the stream will give you guys an update on how it goes later tonight, thanks for the suggestion @dping .

dominulf

I have no issues, except one. Apple users report that they only see a "green screen" but can hear sound. It works on their other devices, except their Apple ones.

What could possibly cause this?

dping

is there anyway to get rid of the pulsing ever 3 seconds?
i know there has been great inprovements on amf.
but anything under 5200bitrate is terrible to stream with
mft was much better even at 1000bit..

http://www.twitch.tv/meowchards/v/5823564
MFT was only better because it couldn't stick with the bitrate at all. so your 3500 stream would try and hit 7k

I have no issues, except one. Apple users report that they only see a "green screen" but can hear sound. It works on their other devices, except their Apple ones.

What could possibly cause this?

Can you please elaborate with what is having issues with VCE? I'm not sure that even the VCE build for Multiplatforms supports other OSs yet...

Lucil

odd because I find the opposite amf is between 200kb-4000 when set to 3200
and mft was a solid 1800 when I had it at 1800 with no pulsing or blurry blocks
I really don't like the strain of h264 it just seems amf is nowhere near the quality
even shadowplay beats it at low kbs
I have read this forum 100 times all 92 pages
and I hardly notice any quality changes in any amf setting @3200 or less
yet as an example the gentleman streaming his race is far superior then I can do
so wondering if its the card or settings.. grrr. -pulls out hair-

***and yes that is not a typo its 200!!!

is there anyway to make amf focus more to the center on bitrates and less on edges?

Anijatsu

I still haven't been able to find out what's the cause for the issue with bright colours being blocky:
I was unable to find any posts concerning if it's possible to mitigate blockiness of bright colours. I guess this has something to do with colour space conversion. Is it something that's caused by hardware? I tried both OVE and AMF, it's the same thing.
2015-05-04_16-37-37.png
2015-05-04_16-37-11.png
I also can't find a way to completely eliminate shimmering. Bigger IDR period just means it happens less often, but I don't want for it to happen at all. For example: http://www.hitbox.tv/video/547414 - 720p at 60 fps, DX11 AMF at Balanced, disabled Frame skip and Discard Filler NALs, GOP 60, IDR at 120. I think this was CBR 1.7k bitrate, a bit low indeed, however it's a static scene.
I've been using the 15.4 beta drivers for a while, I'll try downgrading to 14.12.

dping

odd because I find the opposite amf is between 200kb-4000 when set to 3200
and mft was a solid 1800 when I had it at 1800 with no pulsing or blurry blocks
I really don't like the strain of h264 it just seems amf is nowhere near the quality
even shadowplay beats it at low kbs
I have read this forum 100 times all 92 pages
and I hardly notice any quality changes in any amf setting @3200 or less
yet as an example the gentleman streaming his race is far superior then I can do
so wondering if its the card or settings.. grrr. -pulls out hair-

***and yes that is not a typo its 200!!!

is there anyway to make amf focus more to the center on bitrates and less on edges?
you could try allowing higher max QP and a slighly higher minimum QP. this will
I still haven't been able to find out what's the cause for the issue with bright colours being blocky:

I also can't find a way to completely eliminate shimmering. Bigger IDR period just means it happens less often, but I don't want for it to happen at all. For example: http://www.hitbox.tv/video/547414 - 720p at 60 fps, DX11 AMF at Balanced, disabled Frame skip and Discard Filler NALs, GOP 60, IDR at 120. I think this was CBR 1.7k bitrate, a bit low indeed, however it's a static scene.
I've been using the 15.4 beta drivers for a while, I'll try downgrading to 14.12.
you could try dropping the minimum QP a little (just inch it down). max QP is usually for moving scenes, minimum QP is more for static. the lower the number, the higher the qualty (and more bitrate that will be used per GOP.

Anijatsu

you could try dropping the minimum QP a little (just inch it down). max QP is usually for moving scenes, minimum QP is more for static. the lower the number, the higher the qualty (and more bitrate that will be used per GOP.
Hey, thanks for the quick reply!
I've already tried out the QP settings. I had them changed to 0-51 range, but it doesn't seem to have done anything. I've run a stream on a single window of Process Explorer and the shimmer still appears, like so: http://www.hitbox.tv/video/547464
My settings:
cADMr9

Disabling the resolution downscale doesn't seem to change anything, same goes for changing the AMF's engine type, disabling D3D/OpenCL interop, or disabling usage of OpenCL for NV12 conversion, changing the x264 encoding profile and preset, keyframe interval.

dping

Hey, thanks for the quick reply!
I've already tried out the QP settings. I had them changed to 0-51 range, but it doesn't seem to have done anything. I've run a stream on a single window of Process Explorer and the shimmer still appears, like so: http://www.hitbox.tv/video/547464
My settings:
cADMr9

Disabling the resolution downscale doesn't seem to change anything, same goes for changing the AMF's engine type, disabling D3D/OpenCL interop, or disabling usage of OpenCL for NV12 conversion, changing the x264 encoding profile and preset, keyframe interval.
x264 presets and key frame interval is ignored in VCE build. What about quality preset? and raising bitrate? I just realized this. 720@60 typically needs 3500 bitrate with x264 so you know VCE will need more than 1700. either that for drop your fps. more encoding time spent per frame and more bitrate per frame, but definitely try and use the highest quality and only really need balanced for anything above 1080@48 or 60

Anijatsu

You are right about bitrate, however I was only checking static scenes that shouldn't require as much as usual RTS/FPS action. I don't require top-notch quality, but I dislike the effect of having everything smeared around every 2 seconds. I've lowered the resolution halfway to 360p, still at 60 frames, bumped the bitrate slightly to 1.9k CBR. There's still the same effect when I'm only checking a simple window with text that updates once per second, though less visible due to resolution. It's like a download of a progressive JPEG file. Is it just the way encoding for live video works?

I also thought that a wiki page with tips/example settings could be useful for others. I could start something like that on github, but only after I figure out my stuff :p

dping

You are right about bitrate, however I was only checking static scenes that shouldn't require as much as usual RTS/FPS action. I don't require top-notch quality, but I dislike the effect of having everything smeared around every 2 seconds. I've lowered the resolution halfway to 360p, still at 60 frames, bumped the bitrate slightly to 1.9k CBR. There's still the same effect when I'm only checking a simple window with text that updates once per second, though less visible due to resolution. It's like a download of a progressive JPEG file. Is it just the way encoding for live video works?

I also thought that a wiki page with tips/example settings could be useful for others. I could start something like that on github, but only after I figure out my stuff :p
What happens when you raise your GOP to 120 as well?

Anijatsu

Raising GOP above 60 doesn't seem to change the quality when a "refresh" occurs.
I've made a test video and made a snapshot (in png, of course!) to compare the both values, to the left is GOP of 120, to the right GOP of 60: http://is.gd/QTbjz8

Nocturnal Lunacy

I recently started using this and I was wondering what the optimal settings were for using the amd vce. I presently have an AMD Phenom II 965 Quad Core black edition at 3.2ghz and an nvidia geforce gtx 650 gpu. my upload is clocked at 1.5mb which is horrible I know but I am getting away with running at 1400 bitrate without skipping or issues as all so my upload may actually be 2mbps. I don't want to mess with the vce settings when I have no idea what does what. If somebody can give me the optimal settings I can just plug in that would be great.
I run my stream at 720p 30fps also to twitch. When not using obs my fps ingame are in the 80's but when streaming it drops to 20fps. I'm running Guild Wars 2 which utilizes the cpu instead of the gpu.
Ingame i can limit the fps to 60. right now its unlimited. i run the game itself full screen at 1080p.

Lucil

is there a way to have the previewer show what your stream looks like?
or a way to add a max bitrate to a qp? because any setting 0 through 51 does the same bitrates

is there anyway to get rid of the pulsing ever 3 seconds?
i know there has been great inprovements on amf.
but anything under 5200bitrate is terrible to stream with
mft was much better even at 1000bit..

http://www.twitch.tv/meowchards/v/5824144

i think the biggest issue with me trying to optimize the vce is the pulse or refresh or whatever you want to call this
http://www.twitch.tv/meowchards/v/5999442
i have noticed its not just with vce i was helping a fellow player set up their shadowplay and noticed the same
maybe its just twitch? either way its ruining it. specially with high motion. keeps it constantly blurring

Last edited:

dping

is there a way to have the previewer show what your stream looks like?
or a way to add a max bitrate to a qp? because any setting 0 through 51 does the same bitrates
change from constant bitrate to a VBR maybe. no the preview will show what your setup looks like but not how it will look quality-wise.