OBS branch with AMD VCE support.

HorCsa

It should be able to easily handle 1080p60 quality (and my 285 does) -- the biggest difference in settings I see easily is AMF engine type on DX9 instead of host, so that would be the first thing to try changing. (DX11 would possibly work better than 9, but in my experience had issues with some games, probably because of driver issues)

Thank you. I changed it to DX9 working little bit better. :)

I tested 720p@60 (Quality): https://youtu.be/DwfJLwK0hmc

When GPU activity ~100%: GPU clock constantly maximum, everything is good. When GPU activity changing lower, GPU clock going down (with older DX9 game or without game), drop down captured fps and capture screen freezing. Need STOP/START stream or preview.
(1080p VCE seems impossible)
Xsplit Gamecaster 1080p@30 VCE working fine

720p@60 x264 + "opencl=true" better peromance and better quality (veryfast settings) https://youtu.be/mlxlTqL03c4
1080p@60 x264 + "opencl=true" working superfast settings

Last edited:

HorCsa

1080p60?
What CPU do you got;O

My gaming rig: CPU: i5-760@3486, RAM: 8GB, Graphic card: Gigabyte GV-R9285WF2OC-2GD

I don't know what doing exactly the 'opencl=true' advanced option, but working (It is impossible to do this CPU only). :) https://youtu.be/jyEZIufboYg The games stuttered a bit, but higher (almost maximum) graphics settings. (OBS settings the end of the video).

Last edited:
Doesn't make sense;O
Got same CPU but at 4ghz, i can't play at 1080p60.
But then again perhaps you use super low bitrate or something that speeds it up.
I use CRF (Local Recording of course) and i can't rly get it to work;(

What does your Log say after you do, say a 10 min heavy gaming recording?
(How many dropped frames etc).

Also OpenCL in my understanding does barely do anything on SuperFast (Though i use it as well, as there is next to no hurt).
While VeryFast and slower presets gain more from it. (But even then it's very minimal at best).
But still i mean, any bonus in speed is a bonus;)

HorCsa

I streaming directly to YouTube, so be lower bitrate.

The local recording can be slower because of the write operations to harddisk.

I'm not going to play 1080p@60 with x264 because stuttering the games. I just testing my new card (my old card is HD7770). Can I better quality but do not. I stay on 720p@60 :( (but games higher graphics settings).
I used VCE streaming with HD7770 720p@60 without problem.
In my experience with R9-285 OBS+VCE: Random (perhaps the automatic GPU frequency change?) freezing (games, mouse, everything), laging (games too), need stop/start again. It is useless while you play.
x264+OpenCL is the only option for me right now with OBS.

Last edited:
HDD is often many times faster than network speed. Not to talk about latency.
But with Network you are limited to a certain bandwidth when streaming (like 5mbps most or something?).
I got 100mbps but i Youtube (pretty sure Twitch has a limit as well, but it's much higher) allows only a certain range.

Anyhow that explains things at least, and yeah the impact when using x264 is huge sadly, but quality is great:P

Well thing is, the Card itself is better, 285 is the best current VCE card there is.
Problem is that the architecture itself (Tonga) seems to be crap sadly, it has A Lot of bugs and everyone complains about it, so i am guessing that's causing VCE to bug as well.
Hopefully this is all just drivers issues and not any real Hardware faults at play.
But with AMD, we all know that fixes will take awhile;P

Damn you AMD, you can make good stuff, but you never make them work XD

Well problem as i understand it is that VCE itself is badly documented.
Everyone is pretty much guessing around or something.

Quick Sync and NVENC (i think?) are easier, guess they got some "Standard" or something.
Not sure as i don't get how all this shit works;P

But i want VCE to work, i mean it can work we know that, the problem is just getting it to work.
I am actually surprised AMD themselves hasn't reached out to OBS as it's extremely popular,
it would be a great way for them to kinda promote themselves in the Streaming businesses (i know Raptr but yeah).

Kobata

VCE is working. I think is not (just) an AMD fault.
I tested it with xSplit Gamecaster. Streaming with VCE without problem. 1080p@30 software limited (https://youtu.be/bncH4Xdd1X0 ).

I've had some time to do testing with other things -- it seems like the newest win10 drivers work a bit better (At least, actually on win10) with the 285, so there's definitely a driver portion of the issue. I won't rule out OBS doing things that aren't 'correct' though -- the AMF documentation is a bit confusing and implies that all three of the OBS modes are somewhat incorrect.

Well problem as i understand it is that VCE itself is badly documented.
Everyone is pretty much guessing around or something.
AMF's documentation is a bit barebones in many places, but it covers most things. Although on occasion it's a bit confusing, like the part referenced above:
AMF reference (section 5.1) said:
To initialize the device, the following components must be initialized:
  • The OpenCL engine must be initialized (AMFContext::InitOpenCL) before using the AMF Video Encoder.
  • The DirectX (9 or 11) engine must be initialized (AMFContext::InitDX9 or AMFContext::InitDX11) when OpenGL or OpenCL is used in the AMF Video Encoder.
  • DirectX 9 must be initialized when DirectX 11.0 is used.

It states that at least OpenCL and DX9 must always be on, and DX11 can be added on top of that -- but in actual working in OBS -- and even the samples that come with the SDK -- it only chooses one of the two DX versions and OpenCL is an optional addition.

May be wrong, but i am guessing if you set both min/max to the same value, it will act pretty much like CRF/QP in x264.
If that's the case, there is no way to know how to get 20-40 as it highly depends on footage, but of course normally game footage is more or less the same (3d), as long as it's not some "Film Grain" thing going on.

So just test it, i would guess like 16-18 qp. But that's by going with x264 crf so might be way off.

Krelian

ok i don't know what i am doing wrong but this is ignoring everything i do, it always records with 80-100 mpbs. It ignores min max qp, it ignores contant bitrate, it ignores variable bitrate.

kamild_

I might have found a bug, can someone reproduce?
  1. Start Replay Buffer
  2. Go to OBS tray menu, click "Stop streaming"
  3. OBS crashes, Windows shows "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered" when a game is running

khades

can you screenshot your AMD VCE settings tab and the tabs that show your bitrate etc?
It feels like it just ignores CBR flag. I just pressed "Use custom parameters" And pressed "Quality" button. Also AMF crashes video card on both Omega and Beta drivers, so i use OVA.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    20.6 KB · Views: 91
  • 2.png
    2.png
    46.5 KB · Views: 89