OBS branch with AMD VCE support.

Sepay

[QUOTE="Question tho, whats your card? Im running an R9 270 Blackedition card. 2 GB.[/QUOTE]

I have MSI R 9 270 2GB gaming series.
P.S. - your vods look great

consolepurgatory

I have MSI R 9 270 2GB gaming series.
P.S. - your vods look great

So its the settings that are causing the atrifacts. I use 2 diffrent settings in my videos. one is set to 1500 bitrate and on OVE setting quality with GOP on about 30 or 40 & video at 60fps.
Second video is a setings 3000 bitrate, 15000 custom buffer size, 30 fps - OVE setting quality with a GOP of 30.

Playing around alot might help your settings out :). btw, i keep IDR at 120 allways.
I would sugesst be careful tho, sometimes the spikes in bitrate and encoding cause OBS to send to much information to services like twtich and similar. So finding that middle ground is where its at. Also, AMF setting has been the most stable bitrate holder so far. OVe tends to do jumps form time ot time, while AMF has stayed steady through out.Might want to hae a look at that one :).

RifleEyez

Not interested in Streaming - yet. So bitrates and such isn't a massive issue.

However, for local recording - what is the best settings I can use? I'm getting nice results now, but if I can improve on them and such it would be great. Recording at 30 FPS for YouTube's limit - and Arma/DayZ is my go-to games and they're hard on the FPS anyway. If I did record at 60 FPS for other games, what else could I change?

I've pretty much got it on default Quality preset (out of Speed/Balanced etc) with not much changed at all. ''host'' and not dx9/11 selected (off the top of my head) and my GOP size 15, and IDR period at 0 (I heard half your FPS was ideal here, or 0, so I've tired both). I'm sure my GOP was 60 too. Bitrate I've smashed up to like 60000, CBR/CBR Padding ticked and no buffer.

I'm totally clueless with the other settings - the numbers, do I tick DO NOT USE D3D11? Do I Select DX11 for games I know are DX11? Should I try AMD AMF (even though it doesn't work for me)??

Any advice for local recording only would be great. I've read through about the past 20-30 pages and they're all about streaming - which is cool. I'll get there eventually. HDD space isn't a problem either.

dping

Not interested in Streaming - yet. So bitrates and such isn't a massive issue.

However, for local recording - what is the best settings I can use? I'm getting nice results now, but if I can improve on them and such it would be great. Recording at 30 FPS for YouTube's limit - and Arma/DayZ is my go-to games and they're hard on the FPS anyway. If I did record at 60 FPS for other games, what else could I change?

I've pretty much got it on default Quality preset (out of Speed/Balanced etc) with not much changed at all. ''host'' and not dx9/11 selected (off the top of my head) and my GOP size 15, and IDR period at 0 (I heard half your FPS was ideal here, or 0, so I've tired both). I'm sure my GOP was 60 too. Bitrate I've smashed up to like 60000, CBR/CBR Padding ticked and no buffer.

I'm totally clueless with the other settings - the numbers, do I tick DO NOT USE D3D11? Do I Select DX11 for games I know are DX11? Should I try AMD AMF (even though it doesn't work for me)??

Any advice for local recording only would be great. I've read through about the past 20-30 pages and they're all about streaming - which is cool. I'll get there eventually. HDD space isn't a problem either.

I posted a chart a while back for max bit rate for a particular resolution and fps that should help you. GOP to 1/2 fps, idr to double fps. Don't use dx11 interop and use dx9 or host for now. It seems to play better

ididmytime

Firstly, thanks for the time you have spent on the dev side, I know how long winded these things can be and appreciate the work.

I have an issue with an i7 and 290 being able to select AMD VCE from the options, originally I thought it was because maybe it was defaulting to my GPU on the i7, but then I also can't select Intel Quick Sync either.

Is there a way to force VCE encoding by any chance?

RifleEyez

I posted a chart a while back for max bit rate for a particular resolution and fps that should help you. GOP to 1/2 fps, idr to double fps. Don't use dx11 interop and use dx9 or host for now. It seems to play better

Being a massive pain, can you link me to it? I searched through your posts but couldn't find it. 1080p and 30FPS is what I'm aiming for.

dping

Being a massive pain, can you link me to it? I searched through your posts but couldn't find it. 1080p and 30FPS is what I'm aiming for.
Code:
// Bitrate and peak bitrate.
// Max value depends on resolution and frame rate:
//   - 10 MBits/sec for 720p and frame rate less than or equal to 30 FPS
//   - 20 MBits/sec for 720p and frame rate less than or equal to 60 FPS
//   - 20 MBits/sec for 1080p and frame rate less than or equal to 30 FPS
//   - 50 MBits/sec for 1080p and frame rate less than or equal to 60 FPS
This is what some files in the AMF code state for the max bitrate. meaning anything higher could be a waste

RifleEyez

Code:
// Bitrate and peak bitrate.
// Max value depends on resolution and frame rate:
//   - 10 MBits/sec for 720p and frame rate less than or equal to 30 FPS
//   - 20 MBits/sec for 720p and frame rate less than or equal to 60 FPS
//   - 20 MBits/sec for 1080p and frame rate less than or equal to 30 FPS
//   - 50 MBits/sec for 1080p and frame rate less than or equal to 60 FPS
This is what some files in the AMF code state for the max bitrate. meaning anything higher could be a waste

Awesome, thanks for that. I have a couple more questions - I've looked through the thread and find various settings so I'm not sure.

Should I be using a buffer and CBR padding ticked? If so, should the buffer match the max bitrate?

Am I right in thinking everything in the Advanced tab is irrelevant pretty much? e.g x264 CPU preset, encoding profile and such? Or does changing any of these help at all?

Additionally, in the VCE settings themselves, should I just use the ''QUALITY'' preset and set the GOP to 15 (half the recording FPS) and IDR to 60 and leave it at that? Is there anything else I can change here for a boost in quality, or on the flipside anything that is a waste? There's lots of options and I'm totally clueless when it comes to this kind of thing and I would hate to think I've missed ticking one box or changing some parameters that could make things so much smoother.

And one last thing, I use OPENCL not the AMD AMF option. the AMD AMF option crashes for me as soon as I hit record, so I've just stuck with OPENCL. Using the latest build. Should I try get it working or does this not make much of a difference? What happens if neither are ticked?

Sorry for all the questions!! If anyone else has any advice for local recording I'm all ears!

Last edited:

dping

Should I be using a buffer and CBR padding ticked? If so, should the buffer match the max bitrate?
Yes (CBR checked) for streaming, No (CBR unchecked;VBR) for local recording, toggling CFR under advanced for more targeted max bitrate (see front page)
When CBR is unchecked set quality of 5-8 from my understanding; quality is linear with how big your output files will be and if course their quality. If you dont want to mess with that as much, use CBR with no padding.
the buffer is the size of what VCE (or any h264 encoder) uses to encode, more often than not, you'll need to set these and custom buffer to the same. there are rare occasions where you set buffer to lower to play with how much the output bitrate and quality is mixed. but lets not talk about that since it is still grey to me exactly what is what. I could only assume that you'd need to align this with what divisor of GOP you are using.

i.e. if GOP is 1/2 of FPS, set custom buffer to half the bitrate, but that is just my theory.

Am I right in thinking everything in the Advanced tab is irrelevant pretty much? e.g x264 CPU preset, encoding profile and such? Or does changing any of these help at all?
Not everything works on that page, mainly x264 presets are irreverent. Encoding profile, use CFR, custom x264 options all work.

Additionally, in the VCE settings themselves... Is there anything else I can change here for a boost in quality
Just use the presets for the majority part.

I've played with MinQP/MaxQP, these are how loose/tight the encoding quality. I've played with these a bit; lowering the maxQP will improve quality while moving, but dont lower the minQP to much because the encoder will spend to much time on each still frame. try MaxQP at 38 and leave minQP alone. Just use quality unless you are using 1080@60, then use speed or balanced.

you can play with frame skip, but I've rather have good frames than good quality.

And one last thing, I use OPENCL not the AMD AMF option. IIRC the AMD AMF option didn't work for me, so I've just stuck with it. Should I try get it working or does this not make much of a difference? What happens if neither are ticked?
I would fight to get AMF to work. its much better as of late...If neither are checked it uses OVE which is basically OpenCL but uses the CPU to do the NV12 conversions.

Sorry for all the questions!! If anyone else has any advice for local recording I'm all ears!

Last edited:

RifleEyez

I would fight to get AMF to work. its much better as of late...If neither are checked it uses OVE which is basically OpenCL but uses the CPU to do the NV12 conversions.

Thank you for answering all my questions dude - much much appreciated for the uninformed like me!

With the VBR/Local Recording question - presuming that file size is no real issue within reason as you mentioned it (I have a dedicated 2TB WD drive for recording, benchmarks around 180mb/s on dxtory) what settings would be optimal there? I mainly play DayZ Standalone & Arma 3/2 when I record but obviously not limited to just that. I've been using (probably stupidly) 50000kb/s in the Max Bitrate haha. Works fine though and quality is good.

On the AMF subject...any idea why it doesn't work for me? I've tried the build uploaded on the 27th, the 23rd that is the newest on the Front Page and no luck. As soon as I hit record it gives me the OBS has crashed message. I've uploaded the dump file if that helps, but IIRC I've never had any luck getting AMF to work.

Attachments

• OBSCrashDump2014-12-23_4.dmp
    492.4 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

dping

Thank you for answering all my questions dude - much much appreciated for the uninformed like me!

With the VBR/Local Recording question - presuming that file size is no real issue within reason as you mentioned it (I have a dedicated 2TB WD drive for recording, benchmarks around 180mb/s on dxtory) what settings would be optimal there? I mainly play DayZ Standalone & Arma 3/2 when I record but obviously not limited to just that. I've been using (probably stupidly) 50000kb/s in the Max Bitrate haha. Works fine though and quality is good.

On the AMF subject...any idea why it doesn't work for me? I've tried the build uploaded on the 27th, the 23rd that is the newest on the Front Page and no luck. As soon as I hit record it gives me the OBS has crashed message. I've uploaded the dump file if that helps, but IIRC I've never had any luck getting AMF to work.

go by the max of the chart. so 50,000kb/s will be fine with 1080@60fps.

How do you install those versions of OBS? I just place my new builds on a folder on my desktop for each build. that way i can try multiple. as long as the main build of OBS is installed, it should be fine. as for AMF you are the first and the only person I know having trouble with AMF/MFT. I'm sure its something done to your system, just not sure what.

RifleEyez

go by the max of the chart. so 50,000kb/s will be fine with 1080@60fps.

How do you install those versions of OBS? I just place my new builds on a folder on my desktop for each build. that way i can try multiple. as long as the main build of OBS is installed, it should be fine. as for AMF you are the first and the only person I know having trouble with AMF/MFT. I'm sure its something done to your system, just not sure what.

I just name a folder (e.g OBS v2 3 4) and extract to them and run from there.

That's a pain with the AMF issue. I can't find too much literature online about it either to even begin to solve my issue with it.

dping

I just name a folder (e.g OBS v2 3 4) and extract to them and run from there.

That's a pain with the AMF issue. I can't find too much literature online about it either to even begin to solve my issue with it.
some things to try,
* Right-click run as administrator for obs.exe and try AMF again
and
* Make sure that you aren't running Gaming Evolved and if you dont use it at all, uninstall it. It is junk imo

RifleEyez

some things to try,
* Right-click run as administrator for obs.exe and try AMF again
and
* Make sure that you aren't running Gaming Evolved and if you dont use it at all, uninstall it. It is junk imo

I had Gaming Evolved installed - I never use it and never have so I uninstalled and it seemed to do the trick. I'm sure i've ran as admin a ton of times too but AMF seems to be working now, strange.

yoshi542

Quick question, this one been bugging me for awhile, but there any settings that would work for me to record at 60fps in 1080p as a local file? I've been trying all sorts of things in AMD VCE Encoder. But so far whatever I tried basically freezes OBS and crashes it when I'm playing a game and trying to record. It may just be out of my 7950's capabilities to encode and render the game at the same time? Which is a bit weird as I was able to record BF4 60fps, but I really gotta limit my max bitrate to something like 20-25k kb/s, and set to Speed preset in AMD AMF settings. I've tried this on the November 27th 64bit experimental build Jackun put out.

A few general settings: Do NOT use D3D11 interoperability is checked, 30 GOP size, 120 IDR Perioid, 0 I Pic Period, Balanced for AMD AMF settings, DX9 AMF type engine, Min QP 20, Max QP 42, fps: 60, Max bitrate 50k kb/s, Use Custom Buffer size unchecked.

jackun

Developer
...A few general settings: Do NOT use D3D11 interoperability is checked, 30 GOP size, 120 IDR Perioid, 0 I Pic Period, Balanced for AMD AMF settings, DX9 AMF type engine, ...

In theory "Do NOT use D3D11 interoperability unchecked" should be better, atlleast on Win8+.

Fix a little oversight of thread-unsafe timestamp queue causing exceptions randomly with AMF version. Rate control methods are now selectable (though how useful these are? Atleast can remove that CFR non-sense.)
2014-12-26: [32bit] [64bit]

E: Hexdumping MP4s again trying to get B-frames to work there seemed to be some lack of SPS/PPS nals (heh, OBS asks for them in the beginning of encode so wtf). Anyway, are B-frames working now?
This AMF's DLL sets B-frames to 3. [Overwrite with this 64bit AMF DLL]

Edit edit: streaming might be broken with B-frames or nginx is acting up. Inserting SPS/PPS every GOP kinda works though.

Last edited:

yoshi542

In theory "Do NOT use D3D11 interoperability unchecked" should be better, atlleast on Win8+.

Fix a little oversight of thread-unsafe timestamp queue causing exceptions randomly with AMF version. Rate control methods are now selectable (though how useful these are? Atleast can remove that CFR non-sense.)
2014-12-26: [32bit] [64bit]

E: Hexdumping MP4s again trying to get B-frames to work there seemed to be some lack of SPS/PPS nals (heh, OBS asks for them in the beginning of encode so wtf). Anyway, are B-frames working now?
This AMF's DLL sets B-frames to 3. [Overwrite with this 64bit AMF DLL]

I'm running on Windows 7. But I'll give this new build a try along with the 64bit AMF DLL you want to overwrite with.