OBS branch with AMD VCE support.

LGx

Can someone help me find the right settings? I know most everything is probably explained in this thread but I have no idea what half the stuff means. I just want to find the right settings for high quality local recordings/buffer replay, not streaming. I'm using a 7850 2GB, 4690k, and 8GB RAM.

I was originally using this guide for recording without VCE, https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/how-to-make-high-quality-local-recordings.16/ but I know that those settings don't work with VCE, so now I have no clue what needs to be changed back to default, nor what default is anymore. I'd like to record 1080p @ 60 fps if possible. Here are some screenshots of what my settings look like right now.

kuNTMsd.png

5 min buffer replay, 1080p 60fps resolution.

mBw8dOX.png

XBzsejh.png

Thanks in advance

raul cavazos

Same boat as LGx trying to use record buffer at 720p 60 fps.

Pic of my settings - http://imgur.com/EMHwQmr

Logs (I think I got the correct one) - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3W-HCdclEg8QTR0bnQ0aDBRV2c

https://youtu.be/C0nYAMkyWbE- sample video of my issue

i5 4690k @4.4Ghz
MSI 390
16GB RAM
Windows 8.1

latest beta drivers for AMD
Tried setting AMD VCE to balance and quality and get the same if not worse results. Currently set to speed.

Also if we are using VCE we are stuck to this thread only for support?

DvDio

Need help, I want to record videos and later upload them on youtube.
I tryed from what i remember:
  • AMD VCE balanced;
  • qp=5 tune=psnr level=5.2 (in the custom x264 encoder setting);
  • bframes=1 direct=temporal ipratio=1 pbratio=1 keyint-min=30 scenecut=20 threads=7 qp=10 (in the custom x264 encoder setting);
  • use cfr;
  • crf=20;
  • obs studio with default ish setting
All with 60fps no downscale ,on a 3.5ghz 8ram, amd 8320fx, asus r9 280.
The games that i record are overwatch, wow, heroes.
I really wouldn't bother you guys but i wasted so many hours during the last weeks trying to test things and understand them without much success.

Can any of you help me somehow telling me what should i do or where should i stick with the settings?

Benman2785

@true gameplay

DONT USE custom x264 settings in OBS VCE -> because YOU USE AN HARDWARE-ENCODER!!!

if you have high CPU load you do something wrong:
AMD_VCE_CPU-load.jpg

MAX load i had was with Overlay and 720p Webcam -> 8%

so it isnt really a high load

Benman2785

@LGx
your GPU cant do 1080p60 -> better try SPEED Settings -> or buy a cheap (230€) R9 380X (GCN 1.2) - that card could record up to 4k30

@raul cavazos

set 'GOP' to 30 -> less load on GPU
set 'I Pic Period' to 6 -> improves stability of quality
set 'MinQP' to 10-15 -> better video quality
set 'MaxQP' to 25-30 -> better video quality
set 'AMF engine type' to DX11 or DX9 -> find out what works best for which game ;)

pls provide a video as reference with these settings

raul cavazos

@raul cavazos

set 'GOP' to 30 -> less load on GPU
set 'I Pic Period' to 6 -> improves stability of quality
set 'MinQP' to 10-15 -> better video quality
set 'MaxQP' to 25-30 -> better video quality
set 'AMF engine type' to DX11 or DX9 -> find out what works best for which game ;)

pls provide a video as reference with these settings[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the response. I'll do the changes when I get home later on today and upload a video.

Benman2785

@raul cavazos

mh - do you use vsync in the game? how is the fps while gaming? is there input-lag while recording?

EDIT:

may try to reduce detail from high to medium and try again

Last edited:

true gameplay

@true gameplay

DONT USE custom x264 settings in OBS VCE -> because YOU USE AN HARDWARE-ENCODER!!!

if you have high CPU load you do something wrong:
AMD_VCE_CPU-load.jpg

MAX load i had was with Overlay and 720p Webcam -> 8%

so it isnt really a high load

i tried without custom x264 enconder settings of course and with all of your settings / configurations, same results. are there any encoder settings for the amd vce? high cpu load comes from r6 siege and obs and is impossible to redeem with the fx8320 - except via core affinity and priority - or a new cpu - or better code. try for yourself.

Last edited:

Benman2785

@true gameplay

DUDE WHAT R U TALKING ABOUT

sure your game takes high-load, but usually it shouldnt be 100% all the time

Divison uses all my 8 Cores ~60-80% while gaming (depends on scene) so i have ~20% left for OBS, TS3 and stuff -> with OBS x264 via CPU it would be hard to stream, but with OBS VCE its imba ;)

if you simple capture the game - without webcam or overlay or even voice-recording - your would OBS takes ~3% load -> that is fucking NOTHING for a CPU

what is your Hardware? what Graphicscard do you use and what CPU?

true gameplay

@true gameplay

DUDE WHAT R U TALKING ABOUT

sure your game takes high-load, but usually it shouldnt be 100% all the time

Divison uses all my 8 Cores ~60-80% while gaming (depends on scene) so i have ~20% left for OBS, TS3 and stuff -> with OBS x264 via CPU it would be hard to stream, but with OBS VCE its imba ;)

if you simple capture the game - without webcam or overlay or even voice-recording - your would OBS takes ~3% load -> that is fucking NOTHING for a CPU

what is your Hardware? what Graphicscard do you use and what CPU?

calm a bit down. i could just ask you the same. :') do you even read my posts attentively? just telling you the facts and im not a beginner with streaming. im using a fx8320 and hd7950 with 16gb ram on windows 10. try running r6 siege with obs on that setup and i bet you run into the same problem as i do. and you cant compare that with other games like division or so. and i will say it again, i dont have any issues at all with any games that i stream - except for r6 siege. as i said many times before, the standard obs runs very well - but only with the custom encoder settings and / or custom priority and core affinity (i use to let r6 only run on 6 cores). without the encoder settings its just the same as with the amd branch. basically i cant run r6 siege with any obs(!) on that setup without the custom encoder settings i listed. its just not possible because it will lead to high cpu usage on defaults. now the amd branch is giving me trouble, too, because i cant reduce the quality or whatever yet by encoder settings. i may suspect it may be due to too high graphic settings, too (but they are already pretty reduced and im only using around 2.3gb or so of the 3gb vram). i truly believe custom encoder settings for the amd vce will solve my issue.

Last edited:

Benman2785

@true gameplay

well - i know that R6 was coded shitty - but i think it should be streamable if you try to reduce some detail and try to reduce CPU load
im sorry that i cant check on R6 Siege - because i dont own the game

so you have to wait for a patch ;)

Benman2785

Need help, I want to record videos and later upload them on youtube.
I tryed from what i remember:
  • AMD VCE balanced;
  • qp=5 tune=psnr level=5.2 (in the custom x264 encoder setting);
  • bframes=1 direct=temporal ipratio=1 pbratio=1 keyint-min=30 scenecut=20 threads=7 qp=10 (in the custom x264 encoder setting);
  • use cfr;
  • crf=20;
  • obs studio with default ish setting
All with 60fps no downscale ,on a 3.5ghz 8ram, amd 8320fx, asus r9 280.
The games that i record are overwatch, wow, heroes.
I really wouldn't bother you guys but i wasted so many hours during the last weeks trying to test things and understand them without much success.

Can any of you help me somehow telling me what should i do or where should i stick with the settings?

1080p? or even higher?

just read the last 3 Pages here (my posts) and you should know what to do

KiraGio

Hi everyone :)
I've been reading lots of things from this post and wanted to try to ask myself.

I'm having problems with CPU-Heavy games (Minecraft, for example.) and heavier GPU games

These are the settings with an i7-3770k@4.3GHz and a Radeon HD 7970 not OC'd:

fe57c74cd9feeef961bb29ca9cc00beb.png

a477b59671287df3254e374f5ee59a62.png

1da837cd85b5e036e445d8eb83da6647.png

c507b545e29dad7266f28603f9f768f9.png

In heavy GPU games you are sadly screwed as far as i can tell, the encoder uses the GPU quite a lot,
so if the game uses too much the encoder suffers.

As for CPU, that's a bit weird as it shouldn't take much CPU for the encoder or OBS to do it's thing,
you sure it's not GPU heavy as well?
Try settings OBS priority to High in Task Manager.

KiraGio

In heavy GPU games you are sadly screwed as far as i can tell, the encoder uses the GPU quite a lot,
so if the game uses too much the encoder suffers.

As for CPU, that's a bit weird as it shouldn't take much CPU for the encoder or OBS to do it's thing,
you sure it's not GPU heavy as well?
Try settings OBS priority to High in Task Manager.
I'll try with the priority, it's a good idea. And anyway, I'm pretty sure Minecraft is pretty CPU heavy.

I would probably need to OC my GPU but I'm far far away from knowing how to do that. Thanks

BioGenx2b

Your biggest bottleneck is probably VRAM. There is a significant VRAM overhead to copy the video buffer on the GPU for VCE. Turn down options that are VRAM-intensive and you should see better performance. This is noticeable mostly when the game runs fine for you but choppy for the stream.

Benman2785

Hi everyone :)
I've been reading lots of things from this post and wanted to try to ask myself.

I'm having problems with CPU-Heavy games (Minecraft, for example.) and heavier GPU games

These are the settings with an i7-3770k@4.3GHz and a Radeon HD 7970 not OC'd:

fe57c74cd9feeef961bb29ca9cc00beb.png

a477b59671287df3254e374f5ee59a62.png

1da837cd85b5e036e445d8eb83da6647.png

c507b545e29dad7266f28603f9f768f9.png

hey - 720p60 requires MORE BITRATE to look good - better use 3400-3500kbps ;)