OBS branch with AMD VCE support.

Pesebrero

Hello, I'm a totally newbie here, and I'm having the issue of VCE option greyed out. Already uninstalled drivers in safemode with DDU, also I installed the MS redistributables (both x86 and 64-bit). Installed the main program and put this version on another location. Same issue with 32 and 64 bit versions.

My system is a laptop with 4600M APU (Trinity), it is supposed to be supported. Latest drivers installed (16.2.1). Should I try an older version?

BioGenx2b

If VCE is at all supported on the 4000-series, it would be with a driver older than 15.7. You need a GCN card (7700 or better IIRC) for VCE.

Pesebrero

If VCE is at all supported on the 4000-series, it would be with a driver older than 15.7. You need a GCN card (7700 or better IIRC) for VCE.
4xxxM is the mobile equivalent 5xxx Trinity APUs (not to be confused with HD4xxx and HD5xxx VGA series). They are officially supported by AMD as VCE 1.0 CPUs. Curious thing is, they don't have GCN capable graphics, but Terascale 3.

BioGenx2b

Weird. If that's the case, try the 15.7 driver and see if it works. The card might use OVE instead of AMF, which isn't supported after 15.7.

izy

hi , any idea how to make my obs to use 2 keyframe instead of 4? Im always getting this from twitch " Max keyframe interval is currently at 4.0 seconds. Please set it to 2 seconds." I did try to set IME Search Range from 2 / 2 from 4 / 4 , it works for like 5 min then twitch reports again same error with they keyframe.

howei0770

hello , first time i use this software . some anoying problem i get when start to stream/record . after 2 sec started the obs getting stuck and i get obs stopped working message.. i tried many setting i also saw some videos and copied them i did not miss one thing .
linked the last log file
please help guys

Attachments

• 2016-04-19-2139-38.log
    3.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 2016-04-19-2139-38.log
    3.8 KB · Views: 20

Benman2785

Hi - i found nice settings for GCN 1.0 cards (i use XFX HD7970BE 3GB (1GHz))

1280x720@30 -> good streaming resolution (the way i do it isnt the best, but the fastes with less cpu-load)
3500kbps -> enough bitrate for 720p30 to look pretty
CBR padding on
buffer 1165kb -> (bitrate/FPS) x 10 - 1 = buffersize -> to avoid high peaks while streaming // only in heavy use if QP changes to often -> makes the vid blurry (sometimes) BUT you wont get dropped frames

GOP 30 -> 30 frames as GroupOfPictures is enough and doesnt take much gpu-load, yet still looks pretty and enhances encoding (1x FPS)
IDR 120 -> all 4s the i-Frame is reset (4x FPS) -> to avoid using old i-Frames, but still dont waste them
I Pic Period 15 -> as i understand that should give me an i-Frame all 0.5s (1/2 FPS) -> what improves stability and enhances encoding quality

CODEC SETTINGS
OBS_VCE_codec_settings_3500kbps.jpg

VIDEO SETTINGS (works well - but not recommended)
OBS_VCE_video_settings.jpg

VCE SETTINGS - a Quality-Balanced-Mix
OBS_VCE_best_encoder_settings.jpg

Bitrate-Check
Bitrate_GOP-30_IDR-120.jpg

here you can watch the settings in action - that is what my stream would look like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7bH__jiUBI

in the description is also a link to the original-video -> so you can check that on your own

Benman2785

'I Pic Period' of 10 (1/3 FPS) is also nice

i SHOULDNT use HOST as AMF engine -> DX11 fix some bitrate-peak-problems with DX9 games!

has anyone some advice for me? ;)

Last edited:

dping

'I Pic Period' of 10 (1/3 FPS) is also nice

i SHOULDNT use HOST as AMF engine -> DX11 fix some bitrate-peak-problems with DX9 games!

has anyone some advice for me? ;)
From my research, i Pic period only has two valid values, 0 and 1, but hey, if you see an enhancement in using it, go for it.

Benman2785

@dping - do you have a link for that? because i found nothing about it and asumed that it means a fixed i-Frame after a number of frames

but i will double-check it tomorrow (and if you want i will upload the videos) ;)

dping

Benman2785

I Pic Period: spacing for I pictures, in case driver doesnt force/select a picture type -> so i was right and i think 1/2 (15) or 1/3 (10) or 1/5 (6) FPS (=30) should be great values ->

@jackun

pls add encBPicPattern to custom-settings

if you would combine "I Pic Period" with "encBPicPattern" (not in use right now) you could make you stream more efficient on VCE 2.0 cards -> GOP 30 / IDR 60or120 / I Pic Period 10 (1/3 FPS) / encBPicPattern 3 (4 should be max on most cards) should give that Frames: IPBBBPBBBPIPBBBPBBBPIPBBBPBBBP for 1 GOP -> thats good compression that also allows some quick movement

ps i upload some vids soon (testing right now)

EDIT:

here r the vids -> i prefer 1/5 FPS as 'I Pic Period' -> 6 when FPS =30
links to orginal files in description

https://youtu.be/-Zj3Om-qkzU -> IPP 6
https://youtu.be/-q88ThNgrHM -> IPP 10
https://youtu.be/6XbN3tqWRGE -> IPP 15

have fun with it ;)

EDIT2:

for graphic intensive games (like Dying Light) you get a more steady quality for your stream when 'I Pic Period' is set to 6 -> with 10; 15; or 0 (auto) you have a wide range of Quality-Presets for each frame - so the stream looks blurry and not constant in quality and you have more and higher peaks -> so set your IPP to 6 ;)

ps - i will try to get my hands on an R9 380X (GCN 1.2 - VCE 2.0) to find right amount of b-frames and maybe find some other improvements for streams -> because for local recordings you dont need to tighten bitrate and can set it to full quality

pps @all who think they stream their (FirstPerson)Shooter or fast game in 1080p -> IT WILL SUCK because twitch.tv just allow you 3500kbps Bitrate with max ~4800kb peaks -> and that is hardly enough for good 720p60 -> so better use 720p30 (where 2500kbps can be enough for most games) // differs for YT-Gaming

pps still a big thank you to jackun ;)

Last edited:

Kota

Hi, new here and trying to config this to work properly with my new card. Currently having issues recording skyrim and heavier gpu games as well as streaming. I honestly admit I am having issues trying to follow what this says to set up. I'm also new to set this stuff up.

Benman2785

@Kota - what card do you have - and try my settings provided above -> these r for STREAMING 720p 30 FPS on twitch.tv with 3500kbps (min upload should be 6MBit)

Codec settings: -> just switch AudioBitrate to 128
OBS_VCE_codec_settings_3500kbps.jpg

AMD VCE Encoder settings:
OBS_VCE_encoder_settings_IPP6.jpg

http://benmanshafen.de/pics/OBS/IPP6.mp4 -> is the orginal video with these settings -> so you can check if you like it
http://youtu.be/-Zj3Om-qkzU -> same video on YouTube

ps Youtube prefers a GOP of 1/2 FPS (in my case this would be 15)

pps: heavy load on GPU is bad for using VCE, because it also does its magic with some GPU-load -> lower your settings in gpu-heavy games -> doesnt matter if you stream in 720p // but usually GCN 1.2+ cards should do a much better job with high GPU-load

ppps: @Kota please show us your settings and your specs - maybe your settings create some higher gpu-load

Last edited:

jackun

Developer
I Pic Period: spacing for I pictures, in case driver doesnt force/select a picture type -> so i was right and i think 1/2 (15) or 1/3 (10) or 1/5 (6) FPS (=30) should be great values ->

@jackun

pls add encBPicPattern to custom-settings

Err, encBPicPattern and ipic is for older unsupported OVE or are you using old drivers? AMF_VIDEO_ENCODER_B_PIC_PATTERN is set through "B Frames" config box. But if you find more related settings that are missing lemme know me through PM. Post-tagging etc don't seem to send emails unless logged in, which i'm most def not.

@howei0770 Try 64bit version and/or try different driver. Newer drivers seemed to bork something up related to AMF using OpenCL.

Last edited:

dping

Err, encBPicPattern and ipic is for older unsupported OVE or are you using old drivers? AMF_VIDEO_ENCODER_B_PIC_PATTERN is set through "B Frames" config box. But if you find more related settings that are missing lemme know me through PM. Post-tagging etc don't seem to send emails unless logged in, which i'm most def not.

@howei0770 Try 64bit version and/or try different driver. Newer drivers seemed to bork something up related to AMF using OpenCL.
Maybe thats the Open CL 2.0 that might be breaking things?

Also, are you planning on assisting the OBS Studios team with a non-MFT implementation of VCE? talked to one of the dev's on twitter and was told that it was to risky to add in to the main build; AMD is pretty well open source and does work on certain projects with Opensource software.

https://twitter.com/OBSProject/status/724409763996389376

jackun

Developer
@dping I don't know, maybe. Some kind of a version is mostly working already. It's a bit of a pain to keep dev environment up to date though on windows (openssl, ffmpeg etc). Atleast Qt has an installer.