OBS branch with AMD VCE support.

odyssey228

Всем привет ребят. Заранее извиняюсь за то, что пишу на русском. Вообщем у меня такая проблема, что когда я начинаю запись или трансляцию на twitch, мой видеоадаптер перестает отвечать. Моя конфигурация компьютера: Intel Core i5 3470, HIS r9 280x boost clock, 8 gb оперативной памяти, мат. плата Gigabyte z77m-d3h. Я уже смотрел много разных видео по настройке OBS, но в итоге ничего не помогло. Кстати транслирую и записываю я только CS GO.

I can speak russian little bit. I think this guy says that his drivers stop to work whenever he starts to stream or record. I can't help translating english to russian because I know only a few words in russian and they're not related in any way with computers... However I can translate russian to english. I'm from Poland and some words are similiar and I can guess what he means and then translate it to English ;)
His rig is:
CPU: Intel Core i5 3470
GPU: R9 280x OC
RAM: 8GB
MOBO: Gigabyte z77m-d3h

You probably could tell after the names but still...

@odyssey228 я говорю немного па русский. Я помогу

Last edited:

Balerion

Hello,

After not having used OBSVCE for a few months, decided to try it. But since then, I've upgraded to 15.7.1 of Catalyst, and now it crashes to desktop as soon as I start to record or stream. It also crashes when I try to go to the Encoding. I checked log files and there's nothing particularly useful there. I tried the 32bit version, but I get an error when trying to run OBSVCE : "This application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b). Click OK to close application."

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 2015-08-25-2209-40.log
    2.3 KB · Views: 19

odyssey228

I can speak russian little bit. I think this guy says that his drivers stop to work whenever he starts to stream or record. I can't help translating english to russian because I know only a few words in russian and they're not related in any way with computers... However I can translate russian to english. I'm from Poland and some words are similiar and I can guess what he means and then translate it to English ;)
His rig is:
CPU: Intel Core i5 3470
GPU: R9 280x OC
RAM: 8GB
MOBO: Gigabyte z77m-d3h

You probably could tell after the names but still...

@odyssey228 я говорю немного па русский. Я помогу
I can speak English little bit. You guessed about my problem right. So if I start to stream or record, my video driver stop to work. I have upgraded OS to Windows 10 and installed Catalyst 15.7.1. Although my problem has not disappeared. I had Windows 7 some days ago, but i had this problem too.

LongBowNL

Hello,

After not having used OBSVCE for a few months, decided to try it. But since then, I've upgraded to 15.7.1 of Catalyst, and now it crashes to desktop as soon as I start to record or stream. It also crashes when I try to go to the Encoding. I checked log files and there's nothing particularly useful there. I tried the 32bit version, but I get an error when trying to run OBSVCE : "This application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b). Click OK to close application."

Any suggestions?
Have you read the first post? You need to enable AMD AMF in the "Encoding Tab" of OBS. If you can't reach that somehow, go to your settings file in %appdata% and change "MFT=0" to "MFT=1"

Balerion

Yes, that's why I tried to get into Encoding. Thanks for pointing out where to find the settings file, and how AMF was identified therein. That seems to have fixed the issue!

Siege

wVAyKcp.jpg

What is this error help...

Encoding Settings.JPG Video Settings.JPG Advanced Settings.JPG Advanced Settings.JPG Encoding Settings.JPG Video Settings.JPG Advanced Settings.JPG Advanced Settings.JPG Encoding Settings.JPG Video Settings.JPG
Hey guys. I just bought a R9 380 yesterday and immediately found out about OBS, specifically this branch. I've been trying to stream using VCE but so far it's been impossible.

First, I tried raptr. It flatout did not work. Pressing the shortcut to stream to twitch does literally nothing (it stays "Twitch Offline") so then I tried OBS. It almost works but there's a huge problem: the system freezes in less than a minute (but not the audio), i can still move the mouse for a while but eventually freezes too. Are these common issues here? Is this impossible to get working?

Hey,

I'm having almost the exact same issues with my R9 380 with OBS VCE as you are. When I try and do a monitor capture of my screen at 1080p 60FPS @ 50 000 kbps, as soon as OBS starts to record with VCE, it freezes, and no video is recorded. When I try to do a game capture using the same settings, I can record for a little while until there is a transition in the game from one scene to another, and then OBS freezes once again. I am using the latest Catalyst 15.7.1 drivers from AMD, and all other system drivers are all up to date. My system specs are:

CPU: Intel Core I7 4770K @ 3.5 GHz, Turbo @ 3.9 GHz
MoBo: Asus Z87-PRO
RAM: Kingston Hyper X Black 8GB, CL10, 1600 MHz, OC'ed to 1866MHz
GPU: Sapphire NITRO R9 380 4GB
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

I have included images of my settings in OBS, and log file of when OBS VCE freezes during recording, I hope that any of this information will be useful in aiding you guys to find a solution for our problem!

I am sorry to hear that Raptr is working for you either, as it does work for me, (though I do have the same problem with Twitch streaming) but with some issues with DX9 games on Windows 10, as when recording the frame rate in the game drops by about 50%, though Raptr says they are working on a patch for that. I'm also sorry I was of no help to you in fixing your problem as I have no solution for the problem I have, which seems to be the same one. Hopefully with my added information of what is happening, we can get some help to get OBS VCE working on our R9 380s.

NOTE: I am also having a very similar issue using Quick Sync as well, the video will freeze or will refuse to record at a bitrate higher than 15 000 kbps. I have tried both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions of OBS VCE, and have also tried using the official OBS, and I have the same result. I have also tried running OBS VCE on Quick Sync or AMD VCE in Windows 7, and I get the same results as I do in Windows 10, so I don't think its an issue with Windows 10.

Attachments

• Log File.log
    9.3 KB · Views: 17
Hey guys. I just bought a R9 380 yesterday and immediately found out about OBS, specifically this branch. I've been trying to stream using VCE but so far it's been impossible.

First, I tried raptr. It flatout did not work. Pressing the shortcut to stream to twitch does literally nothing (it stays "Twitch Offline") so then I tried OBS. It almost works but there's a huge problem: the system freezes in less than a minute (but not the audio), i can still move the mouse for a while but eventually freezes too. Are these common issues here? Is this impossible to get working?

So I think I have found the source of our problem with OBS VCE, (at least for me) is that it has issues running with CBR enabled. I was playing around in the AMD VCE Encoder settings tab in settings, and had begun playing with the Rate Control Method. To my surprise, every other option except CBR had worked flawlessly, I could monitor capture my desktop and record my games with game capture at 1080p 60FPS, though because all the other rate control methods are VBR based, the quality of the image isn't as good, but still great. I was monitoring the average bitrate at which my video was recording in OBS, and then set that as my bitrate with CBR to see what would happen, and the game would crash. I recommend that you use the Latency Constrained VBR (AMF only) as your rate control method as it seems to give you a slightly higher bitrate and and better image quality. Though this may not help you at all as streaming to services to Twitch require you to have CBR on to stream, and the main issue was CBR, so hopefully jackun will see this post and fix the CBR issue, or AMD releases a new driver that will allow OBS VCE to work with CBR. I hope this at least gets you recording your games with OBS VCE, though I don't think it will allow you to stream to Twitch.

NOTE: With OBS VCE, I am still experiencing the same problem of recording DX9 games and seeing massive frame rate drops, just like in Raptr. This leads me to believe that this is most likely a video driver issue with OBS and Raptr, so hopefully AMD will release a new driver soon that will fix these issues.

Last edited:

Kcetin20

Hello, I bought a Sapphire x265 last month since my Nvidia Gtx 750 died whit overheating,
I always streamed using my GPU and not my CPU since it was not high rated CPU for games and football streams,
I've been searching over the internet if this was possible whit a amd card too and i got it but i cant activate the *plugin* somehow ? i see the option in obs but i cant click on it

Attachments

• Screenshot_5.png
    Screenshot_5.png
    23.4 KB · Views: 54
  • Screenshot_7.png
    Screenshot_7.png
    29.2 KB · Views: 47
  • Screenshot_6.png
    Screenshot_6.png
    37.8 KB · Views: 52
Hello, I bought a Sapphire x265 last month since my Nvidia Gtx 750 died whit overheating,
I always streamed using my GPU and not my CPU since it was not high rated CPU for games and football streams,
I've been searching over the internet if this was possible whit a amd card too and i got it but i cant activate the *plugin* somehow ? i see the option in obs but i cant click on it

Hey, what driver are you running on, as your log file says that the AMF .dll in OBS failed to load, and AMF is a relatively new feature in the AMD drivers. I suggest that you try updating your drivers to 15.7.1, as those are currently the latest drivers, you can get them here: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download Other than that, I don't know what else you could try and do, maybe try an older version of OBS VCE. I hope this helps you in any way.

RaduZ

So for the guys having problems in windows 10, try disabling CBR padding. It caused OBS to crash on my R9 285, from high CPU something... even dough I was only recording the desktop without any games.

So for the guys having problems in windows 10, try disabling CBR padding. It caused OBS to crash on my R9 285, from high CPU something... even dough I was only recording the desktop without any games.
Thank you so much for your help, by disabling CBR padding, I was able to re-enable CBR in the AMD VCE Encoder settings and record my videos at 1080p 60FPS @ 50 000 kbps with no crashes whatsoever, I was even able to do a monitor capture without any crashes. Now my bit rate stays at 50 000 kbps all the time, so now it is also possible to stream to Twitch as CBR is now available. My videos have never looked so good before trying OBS VCE at 1080p 60FPS, and now that I can use CBR, they look even better. So thank you for all of your help once again.

Last edited:

Kcetin20

Hey, what driver are you running on, as your log file says that the AMF .dll in OBS failed to load, and AMF is a relatively new feature in the AMD drivers. I suggest that you try updating your drivers to 15.7.1, as those are currently the latest drivers, you can get them here: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download Other than that, I don't know what else you could try and do, maybe try an older version of OBS VCE. I hope this helps you in any way.

Yes im running the lastest amd rivers 15.7.1 i tired to use older versions no luck...but my answer is why i cant click on AMD VCE in obs ? is it somethings whit the driver self or obs? And also what was the lastest version where AMF wasnt inside of thise drivers ?

Yes im running the lastest amd rivers 15.7.1 i tired to use older versions no luck...but my answer is why i cant click on AMD VCE in obs ? is it somethings whit the driver self or obs? And also what was the lastest version where AMF wasnt inside of thise drivers ?
Have you tried re-downloading OBS VCE or using an older version of OBS VCE, as the AMF. dll may just have gotten corrupted, and a fresh download could fix that. Also, do you have Microsoft VC++ 2013 installed on your computer, as OBS VCE requires that you have that installed in order for it to work, if you don't have it, you can install it from here : http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40784 and see if that solves your issue.

RifleEyez

Quick one, I posted before, like months ago, but I'm wondering if there's any additional tricks and tips people have found since. I've read through (and searched), but it seems to be more posts around errors or streaming tips.

Recording totally locally, not streaming, space is not an issue. 1080 at 30 FPS, (GL getting constant 60 on DayZ), but I left my bitrate at 50000 which is the recommended for 60 as I play other games too.

So far the recordings look fine, albeit DayZ looks pixellated at times with encoding all the greens I guess, but I'm wondering if I can squeeze anything more out or get less of a FPS hit (which isn't too much granted, like 5-10 fps drop). Been testing Raptr too, which isn't all that bad tbh. Just prefer OBS.

Made some amendments - in bold. Right, or wrong?

50000/50000 buffer and bitrate
Use CBR, padding and buffer size ticked.(been advised since I should use VBR for local, what settings?)
Max QP of 41 (seems less pixelated that way, playing DayZ/Arma and sometimes with all the greens it will pixellate. Seems good on 41 and saw somewhere it's best for that over 51?) (changed this to like 16-18 to 38)
GOP 60 (same)
IDR 0 (I had this set to 30, but doesn't seem to make a huge difference)
Rate control method is peak constrained VBR, but I have 'use CBR' ticked in Encoding. Should I change this, or are any of the other 3 options better? Maybe constrained QP?
AMD AMF settings are Balanced and 'host'

Haven't really messed with anything in the OpenEncoder settings, like the search range stuff. IIRC I did change a bit, but only based on a screenshot someone uploaded of their settings which was ''good''. Same with the ''Advanced'' tab, anything in there worth changing? x264 Preset is superfast, encoding profile is high, Use CFR ticked, custom encoder settings is Intra-refresh=true. Not even sure if any of that is valid really for AMF.

Anything I can change, or any other settings I haven't listed that would help?

Thanks for helping me out! Half of this is like a foreign language to a peasant like myself haha

DJArroba

Hey, I've been trying to record some of the new Unreal Tournament in 1080p60fps, but the recording freezes after a few seconds, and the log is spammed with "Failed to submit input buffer multiple times already. VCE is probably too slow for current settings.". I'm using a bitrate of 30000kb/s and the "Speed" preset in the VCE settings.

This is what my settings look like: http://i.imgur.com/yBG8kPD.png

Is it just not possible for me to record at 1080p60fps?

RifleEyez

Hey, I've been trying to record some of the new Unreal Tournament in 1080p60fps, but the recording freezes after a few seconds, and the log is spammed with "Failed to submit input buffer multiple times already. VCE is probably too slow for current settings.". I'm using a bitrate of 30000kb/s and the "Speed" preset in the VCE settings.

I'm far from knowing anything about this program, see my above post. I'm sure the geniuses in here can work it out, but I keep OBS for recording DayZ Standalone 30-45fps is considered good there, and anything over 60 FPS I use Raptr. 1080p, 60 FPS, fine.

Soon as I try 1080p 60 FPS myself on OBS, say on Arma 3, it just...doesn't work. Might be a setting we both have checked or unchecked, who knows. Raptr is fine for it though.

Hey man, it sounds like you have the same problem as I did in OBS VCE, try disabling CBR padding in encoding setiings, as that was the issue for me, if that does not work, change the rate control method in the AMD VCE Encoder settings from CBR to one of the other rate control methods, then I think OBS with work for you. I believe that the catalyst driver 15.7.1 has issues with CBR padding in VCE.