OBS branch with AMD VCE support.

niggawat

Well "good news" kinda... The problem isn't in OBS for me, Action! also crashes/stop responding as soon as the splash screen appears, blue screen and everything. I think I just have to wait for AMD to fix their shit.

Kobata

GCN 1.2 is not secretive, there are things out there just not the exact specs. they say 4k h264 encoding and h265 DECODE. so I dont know what you mean by VCE 3.1. there is no VCE 3.1. its the same VCE that the R9 285 has
285 doesn't have the h265 hardware decoder, although it can do 4k h264. That got added later (mobile parts got it first). Fury might have the newer UVD that can do it, but my source for the version numbers (AMD's linux driver) doesn't seem to have Fury support yet.

I've read on multiple sources that GCN 1.2 had VCE 3.1 (kitguru, semiaccurate etc.) so I assumed that Fury X is also VCE 3.1, perhaps they were misinformed.
The pre-fury GCN 1.2 products have VCE 3.0 (this is AMD's number, pulled from their own version in the driver). A 3.1 revision is possible for the Fury, but as above I don't know the exact versions for Fury (or what might have changed to have a different version number).

If I recall testing with my 285 right, it is 4k 30fps, although with the same caveat as 1080p 30fps on the older cards: that's how fast it can go on quality, with speed presets you can squeeze out a bit more.

dping

Well "good news" kinda... The problem isn't in OBS for me, Action! also crashes/stop responding as soon as the splash screen appears, blue screen and everything. I think I just have to wait for AMD to fix their shit.
Action! can also cause issues with OBS or any other capture or overlay program.

AMD Radeon HD 8670M

the 8670M has been rebadged a R5 240 which does not support VCE

http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/graphics/desktop/oem/r5#2

dping

Thank you for the info, I tried 1080p@40fps with 41qp but I get ridiculous bitrates over Twitch I have peaks of 5000-6000, my internet holds up, but the twitch server doesn't because it's limited to 3500... Isn't there really any way to turn off IDR? It doesn't let me write -1, so that leaves me no option. Or what else could I try doing? Any ideas?

EDIT: Also if you need more info on this, let me write some specs down:

General settings:
1080p@40fps
3500 bitrate

VCE settings:
Quality preset
30 GOP Size
60 IDR Period
Min QP 18
Max QP 51
->Quick question here: Could I make any fine tuning on I/P/B/B-delta QPs settings?
The rest is unmodified from the Quality preset.

I have not found tweaking those number do much of anything visually different but they go by the same concept, lower QP values = higher quality.

as I said, my test was at 720@30 2500 bitrate so YMMV with 1080@30

you cannot stream without IDR. twitch calls those key frames which are needed for streaming via flashplayer for a full frame refresh when new viewers join, otherwise you'll get a black screen

Well there is progress. I can record a game that isn't rendered with polygons. If I just play a 2D game or capture my monitor it works. But as soon as I have to render anything, it stop immediately. Also with these setting my GPU usage is at 30%~ when recording without even playing a game.

L51CHWx.png

Is this normal that OBS is consuming this much GPU by recording alone? I'm not playing any game here.
Yeah sorry, I think my test was done just re-encoding an existing video. I will try with full load tonight (in a game)

dping

Nо chance for upgrade this branch to newest version of OBS? :(
I dont know if it will make a noticeable difference. at least it didn't for me. the only advantage of .654b is that it reports windows 10 versions instead of just saying Windows 8.1. newer versions say they fix the game capture but I still have some issues with some DX9 games.
@jackun would need to do this and publish it when he gets back. Note that these three revisions have come out very close to eachother.

Phawx

So I DDU'd and installed the Windows 8.1 15.6 Drivers on Windows 10. So far so good. Here's a screenshot of me recording at 1080p60 and notice that the gpu usage is near 0%. It seems like AMF is using the GPU itself to record instead of VCE.

4g2fH5F.png

Edit: Just double checked. Performance on 15.6 is fine and I can record using OVE, so I'll use this for awhile until AMF is sorted out.

Last edited:

dping

So I DDU'd and installed the Windows 8.1 15.6 Drivers on Windows 10. So far so good. Here's a screenshot of me recording at 1080p60 and notice that the gpu usage is near 0%. It seems like AMF is using the GPU itself to record instead of VCE.

4g2fH5F.png
Nice find, can you DDU and install 15.7 win10 drivers this time? I have a suspicion that it is 15.7.1

Phawx

Nice find, can you DDU and install 15.7 win10 drivers this time? I have a suspicion that it is 15.7.1

I will attempt later. Right now I have to record a few things for my channel as I'm a bit backed up from the delay I had.

Edit: I just used AMF on 15.6 and while it works, I drop frames like crazy at 1080p60. I also have to disable CBR as that forces it to lock up quickly. Constrained QP runs but I'm dropping frames.

Going to stick with OVE as that runs without a hitch.

Last edited:

sethyron

maybe the problem is BIOS related, because in my factory bios i could record on Raptr without problems, but some time ago i asked Sapphire support for a updated bios, lost my backup and now i have this problem...

now i sent a request for a new bios, maybe they can send the factory bios and i can test.
ps: sry for my bad english

EDIT: yes, its bios
i flashed the bios from this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KunSDzUBmr0

no more bsod or crash :)
in atiflash use
Code:
atiflash -s 0 original.bin
to backup your bios.

use
Code:
atiflash -p -f 0 253T04H0.O45
to flash the bios.

profit
the bios is from sapphire but i think its works on your vga
maybe im wrong, so ask a new bios to your gpu manufacturer

Last edited:

dping

maybe the problem is BIOS related, because in my factory bios i could record on Raptr without problems, but some time ago i asked Sapphire support for a updated bios, lost my backup and now i have this problem...

now i sent a request for a new bios, maybe they can send the factory bios and i can test.
ps: sry for my bad english

EDIT: yes, its bios
i flashed the bios from this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KunSDzUBmr0

no more bsod or crash :)
in atiflash use
Code:
atiflash -s 0 original.bin
to backup your bios.

use
Code:
atiflash -p -f 0 253T04H0.O45
to flash the bios.

profit
the bios is from sapphire but i think its works on your vga
These instructions are extremely specific to your brand and model of GPU so I would not advise everyone just updating with that particular bios or even doing so unless there is an issue with multiple things in your card. BIOS updates can make or break and you really need to be confident in your skills and have a dual bios card.

dping

All and @jackun and @dodgepong just be aware that I will be leaving for a 6 week to another state so I will not be available to assist with issues. I might eventually get out my laptop while I'm there but no promises.

I posted this here because this is the primary thread I assist on so I would recommend you all pull together resources until my return. you can @ me or PM me if you need something that only I can provide, but if it is something that would better others, I recommend you post it here.

Last edited:

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
Uh, I don't know anything about the VCE branch. I just know that it exists and that jackun hasn't bothered to try to make a PR for it, so as far as I'm concerned it's not a part of core OBS that I need to worry about as of yet.

dping

Uh, I don't know anything about the VCE branch. I just know that it exists and that jackun hasn't bothered to try to make a PR for it, so as far as I'm concerned it's not a part of core OBS that I need to worry about as of yet.
:P no I just wanted to make a single post. I wasn't asking you to do anything here boss-man.