OBS branch with AMD VCE support.

mecon

14:02:37: Aero is Disabled

you have to also enable an aero theme in windows. otherwise, it stays disabled even though unchecked.
Ok well in the process of trying to get Aero to work on my PC, I updated my GPU drivers, and now when I click "start Streaming" in OBS it instantly crashes...No crash report or anything like that, the program just terminates.

Also, it appears to do the same thing if I click on the Encoding tab in Settings.

Thanks AMD

EDIT:

Rolled back the driver and OBS runs fine now. I guess I'll try to enable aero again without the updated drivers.

EDIT:

My logfile is still saying aero is disabled even though I have an aero theme running right now. Don't really know where to go from here...

Last edited:

Phawx

I've used both Speed and Balanced, I'll retry 50000/50000 just in case I didn't actually do that and let you know.

Ok I did the test with 50000 bitrate and 50000 buffer. Preset is set to Speed. GOP is 120, IDR is 0. I've toggled OpenCL interop both on and off. I've used Host mode, DX11, DX9.

Nothing. If it's 1080p60, it just fails to record. The most I can seem to do is 1080p35 but then the video looks janky, so I just set it to 1080p30 and it records fine.

This is my log file with using 1080p30 and it's working:

https://gist.github.com/anonymous/df805eb27ad62889139a

Just not sure why 60fps fails immediately.

dping

Ok I did the test with 50000 bitrate and 50000 buffer. Preset is set to Speed. GOP is 120, IDR is 0. I've toggled OpenCL interop both on and off. I've used Host mode, DX11, DX9.

Nothing. If it's 1080p60, it just fails to record. The most I can seem to do is 1080p35 but then the video looks janky, so I just set it to 1080p30 and it records fine.

This is my log file with using 1080p30 and it's working:

https://gist.github.com/anonymous/df805eb27ad62889139a

Just not sure why 60fps fails immediately.
lower your GOP to 30 and try 60fps again.

EDIT: also try 30,000 bitrate/buffer. nevermind, I was reading something about profile limits but this shouldn't matter after I re-read.

Last edited:

dping

Ok well in the process of trying to get Aero to work on my PC, I updated my GPU drivers, and now when I click "start Streaming" in OBS it instantly crashes...No crash report or anything like that, the program just terminates.

Also, it appears to do the same thing if I click on the Encoding tab in Settings.

Thanks AMD

EDIT:

Rolled back the driver and OBS runs fine now. I guess I'll try to enable aero again without the updated drivers.

EDIT:

My logfile is still saying aero is disabled even though I have an aero theme running right now. Don't really know where to go from here...
might have to restart OBS to get a new logfile. if you're sure its an aero theme, then restart PC and to a new logfile from OBS. paste it here. and one more time, just check to make sure disable aero is not checked in OBS.

CapoFantasma97

Hi,
I was looking for a lagless way to record and found this. Unfortunately there is an error when trying to record, even if I followed everything, a way too generic "Encoder initialization failed".

Of course I read that with Catalyst 15.7 stopped working, however I read in the latest posts that worked instead with 15.7.1 on Windows 10. I'm a little confused and not sure how to make it work.

EDIT: Little extra infos in case they may be useful for you:
I am trying to record Minecraft (to test the performance of this OBS branch) with the Game Capture Fullscreen source. I don't want to play in windowed mode, if that would be a possible solution.

dping

Hi,
I was looking for a lagless way to record and found this. Unfortunately there is an error when trying to record, even if I followed everything, a way too generic "Encoder initialization failed".

Of course I read that with Catalyst 15.7 stopped working, however I read in the latest posts that worked instead with 15.7.1 on Windows 10. I'm a little confused and not sure how to make it work.

EDIT: Little extra infos in case they may be useful for you:
I am trying to record Minecraft (to test the performance of this OBS branch) with the Game Capture Fullscreen source. I don't want to play in windowed mode, if that would be a possible solution.
you need to read more carefully. after 15.7, only AMF is available since the other methods were old and being outdated

what AMD GPU do you have?

WhatANiceGuy

Hey guys, ahm, I just started using the VCE today, didn't know there was something like this for AMD video cards... it's so nice, everything runs awesome, but I have one little issue that I could use your help on guys... so:

The issue I'm having is pixelation, but not the type of pixelation that you get from changing/moving around fast on stream, rather you can see flashes while staying steady. I would like to know how to get rid of them, or which setting is causing that flashy pixelation from time to time? Does it have to do smth with the GOP or IDR? I do have a strong feeling that the IDR Period is doing that, but I can't set it to -1 to disable it... or anyway... I am hoping you guys can give me a better lead/guide.

Thanks in advance! :)

Last edited:

dping

Hey guys, ahm, I just started using the VCE today, didn't know there was something like this for AMD video cards... it's so nice, everything runs awesome, but I have one little issue what I could use your help on guys... so:

The issue I'm having is pixelation, but not the type of pixelation that you get from changing/moving around fast on stream, rather you can see flashes while staying steady. I would like to know how to get rid of them, or which setting is causing that flashy pixelation from time to time? Does it have to do smth with the GOP or IDR? I do have a strong feeling that the IDR Period is doing that, but I can't set it to -1 to disable it... or anyway... I am hoping you guys can give me a better lead/guide.

Thanks in advance! :)
At lower bitrates, this will happen because the IDR frame is a full frame but is limited in quality. because of bitrate. so its fuzzy. I have found that setting the max QP to 41 (instead of 51) can help, but dont be surprised if your bitrate spikes a little because of it.

WhatANiceGuy

At lower bitrates, this will happen because the IDR frame is a full frame but is limited in quality. because of bitrate. so its fuzzy. I have found that setting the max QP to 41 (instead of 51) can help, but dont be surprised if your bitrate spikes a little because of it.
I have the bit rate set to 3500, or what do you mean by low bit rate? Low bit rated compared to video recording, or compared to streaming? :)

dping

I have the bit rate set to 3500, or what do you mean by low bit rate? Low bit rated compared to video recording, or compared to streaming? :)
low bitrate as in, pretty much anything capped below full quality local recordings :) as in streaming qualities.

my test was done 720@30 with 2500 bitrate to which I set max qp to 41 and a lot of the refresh went away. do realize that during fast movement, it will try and force quality to higher since the qp can no longer raise to 51 as with h264 standards allow.

dping

@jackun, did minQP and maxQP used to be ignored on GCN1.0?
Code:
19:12:23: Failed to set 'MinQP' property.
19:12:23: Failed to set 'MaxQP' property.

I know the b frames stuff was showing failed to set, but I dont recall this being failed.

ufster

Its supposed to. I haven't had anyone with a fury stop by as far as I know. We had a guy with the same Gen of GPU (the 285). he did claim that his 285 was able to do 1080@60 with quality preset, which is not possible on previous generations.

Why is AMD so secretive about this information? I have been looking all over the web and there is zero information about the exact capabilities of the VCE 3.1 transcode engine and very little benchmark numbers are available for the performance hit of using VCE. Do you think it's reasonable to have a stickied thread on these forums once the VCE support is officially implemented in the main distribution for database purposes?

Anyways, if any Fury / Fury X owner is reading these comments, please post your results with OBS VCE branch for 4k encoding at 60 fps using quality preset, including the performance hit.

dping

Why is AMD so secretive about this information? I have been looking all over the web and there is zero information about the exact capabilities of the VCE 3.1 transcode engine and very little benchmark numbers are available for the performance hit of using VCE. Do you think it's reasonable to have a stickied thread on these forums once the VCE support is officially implemented in the main distribution for database purposes?

Anyways, if any Fury / Fury X owner is reading these comments, please post your results with OBS VCE branch for 4k encoding at 60 fps using quality preset, including the performance hit.

GCN 1.2 is not secretive, there are things out there just not the exact specs. they say 4k h264 encoding and h265 DECODE. so I dont know what you mean by VCE 3.1. there is no VCE 3.1. its the same VCE that the R9 285 has

dping

Same result. Never records.
So I just tested. 1080@60 balanced preset. change from CBR in the VCE settings tab to anything else and it should be fine. seems that CBR doesn't like the huge bitrate but any other mode is fine.

60 GOP
0 IDR
balanced preset
50000 bitrate buffer
Rate control method:
either Peak Contrained VBR, Latency Contrained VBR or constrained QP

Last edited:

ufster

GCN 1.2 is not secretive, there are things out there just not the exact specs. they say 4k h264 encoding and h265 DECODE. so I dont know what you mean by VCE 3.1. there is no VCE 3.1. its the same VCE that the R9 285 has

I've read on multiple sources that GCN 1.2 had VCE 3.1 (kitguru, semiaccurate etc.) so I assumed that Fury X is also VCE 3.1, perhaps they were misinformed.

http://www.kitguru.net/components/g...third-iteration-of-gcn-architecture-revealed/

The GCN 1.2-based GPUs will also feature a new multimedia engine – which comprises of universal video decoder 6.0 (UVD 6) and video encoder engine 3.1 (VCE 3.1) technologies – as well as a new high-quality scaler for video

Based on your evaluation, it seems like AMD is still lagging behind Nvidia since Maxwell GPUs can do 4k encoding with h264 at 60 fps. Well, it would be a surprise if they could get it right I suppose the way those incompetent people run their business.

dping

I've read on multiple sources that GCN 1.2 had VCE 3.1 (kitguru, semiaccurate etc.) so I assumed that Fury X is also VCE 3.1, perhaps they were misinformed.

http://www.kitguru.net/components/g...third-iteration-of-gcn-architecture-revealed/

Based on your evaluation, it seems like AMD is still lagging behind Nvidia since Maxwell GPUs can do 4k encoding with h264 at 60 fps. Well, it would be a surprise if they could get it right I suppose the way those incompetent people run their business.
they dont specify if VCE 3.x can do 4k 30 or 60fps is all I dont know. and Maxwell, I've never seen anyone actually encode at 4K@60 because only the 980 ti can actually play 4k@60 on med settings. so I dont know if there is any legit proof either can do it.
I'm not saying yes or no at this point because I simply know what you know.

as for VCE, it can be called VCE 4.0 and it will still be the same VCE that comes with GCN 1.2 which is why I use the GCN to talk about VCE now. kitguru often gets some number wrong but at least their data should be sound. Fiji vs 390x vs furyx kinda miscalculations, anyway

Phawx

So I just tested. 1080@60 balanced preset. change from CBR in the VCE settings tab to anything else and it should be fine. seems that CBR doesn't like the huge bitrate but any other mode is fine.

60 GOP
0 IDR
balanced preset
50000 bitrate buffer
Rate control method:
either Peak Contrained VBR, Latency Contrained VBR or constrained QP

Well there is progress. I can record a game that isn't rendered with polygons. If I just play a 2D game or capture my monitor it works. But as soon as I have to render anything, it stop immediately. Also with these setting my GPU usage is at 30%~ when recording without even playing a game.

L51CHWx.png

Is this normal that OBS is consuming this much GPU by recording alone? I'm not playing any game here.

Last edited:

WhatANiceGuy

low bitrate as in, pretty much anything capped below full quality local recordings :) as in streaming qualities.

my test was done 720@30 with 2500 bitrate to which I set max qp to 41 and a lot of the refresh went away. do realize that during fast movement, it will try and force quality to higher since the qp can no longer raise to 51 as with h264 standards allow.
Thank you for the info, I tried 1080p@40fps with 41qp but I get ridiculous bitrates over Twitch I have peaks of 5000-6000, my internet holds up, but the twitch server doesn't because it's limited to 3500... Isn't there really any way to turn off IDR? It doesn't let me write -1, so that leaves me no option. Or what else could I try doing? Any ideas?

EDIT: Also if you need more info on this, let me write some specs down:

General settings:
1080p@40fps
3500 bitrate

VCE settings:
Quality preset
30 GOP Size
60 IDR Period
Min QP 18
Max QP 51
->Quick question here: Could I make any fine tuning on I/P/B/B-delta QPs settings?
The rest is unmodified from the Quality preset.

Last edited: