OBS branch with AMD VCE support.

I've just installed Windows 10 and OBS works just fine :)
I'm downloading 15.7.1 drivers and I'll let you know if it works with them ;)

I have a question about Windows 10 - anyone gets some lags for few seconds? Even when I was writing it I had 2 lags, and input was coming with about 2 seconds delay when it happened :/ Maybe I need to restart my computer

EDIT: OBS works with 15.7.1 on Windows 10
I will test recording CS:GO and let you know ;)

Last edited:

dping

I've just installed Windows 10 and OBS works just fine :)
I'm downloading 15.7.1 drivers and I'll let you know if it works with them ;)

I have a question about Windows 10 - anyone gets some lags for few seconds? Even when I was writing it I had 2 lags, and input was coming with about 2 seconds delay when it happened :/ Maybe I need to restart my computer

EDIT: OBS works with 15.7.1 on Windows 10
I will test recording CS:GO and let you know ;)
Make sure you disable the xbox gameDVR "feature" in the xbox app.
you can get to it by pressing start and typing xbox then opening settings, clicking game DVR and disabling it.

I don't have Xbox so it's not the case. Even if - lags just stoped after installing new drivers. Maybe it was because I had drivers for 8.1 then.

Sepay

Was playing around, in amd vce options (gop/idr value 0) . Stream looks great, but there is frame drop problem, time to time, when I change gop/idr manualy, its "grain" party allover the screen. Changing bitrate wont fix drops etc, i was wondering if there is any fix.
Bitrate - 3500 everything else(except gop/idr) acording to "manual"
Here is the VOD - http://www.twitch.tv/rooster1991/v/9784155

dping

Was playing around, in amd vce options (gop/idr value 0) . Stream looks great, but there is frame drop problem, time to time, when I change gop/idr manualy, its "grain" party allover the screen. Changing bitrate wont fix drops etc, i was wondering if there is any fix.
Bitrate - 3500 everything else(except gop/idr) acording to "manual"
Here is the VOD - http://www.twitch.tv/rooster1991/v/9784155
you never set the GOP to 0, I dont believe that is a proper value. re-read the original post on page 1 about these options then post your logfile.

mecon

Hi guys, Im sorry if this type of problem has been covered already, but i really didnt feel like reading through 100 pages.

I'm trying to use VCE to stream on twitch, and it seems like no matter what settings I mess with the result is so pixelated it is basically unwatchable. Even at 3500kbps bitrate it is unwatchable. Just for the hell of it I tried at 5000kbps and even then it is unacceptable. I'm streaming at 1280x720 with no downscale, 30 fps. I've tried other combinations like 1920x1080 with downscale to 1280x720, and different filter settings, nothing improves the quality.

I havent messed with any of the advanced settings yet, only bitrate and resolution. I tried all three preset parameters in VCE (Speed, Balanced, Quality), with no change.

This is with a 7850 2GB GPU, and 6350 CPU.

I'm hoping someone here can help. Thanks.

dping

Hi guys, Im sorry if this type of problem has been covered already, but i really didnt feel like reading through 100 pages.

I'm trying to use VCE to stream on twitch, and it seems like no matter what settings I mess with the result is so pixelated it is basically unwatchable. Even at 3500kbps bitrate it is unwatchable. Just for the hell of it I tried at 5000kbps and even then it is unacceptable. I'm streaming at 1280x720 with no downscale, 30 fps. I've tried other combinations like 1920x1080 with downscale to 1280x720, and different filter settings, nothing improves the quality.

I havent messed with any of the advanced settings yet, only bitrate and resolution. I tried all three preset parameters in VCE (Speed, Balanced, Quality), with no change.

This is with a 7850 2GB GPU, and 6350 CPU.

I'm hoping someone here can help. Thanks.
Read the first post on page 1. 720@30 use quality preset always. 3000 bitrate should be enough for that. set GOP to 60 and IDR to 0 and dont touch anything else. post a video of what you mean quality. I will tell you if its about the expected quality.

Second, 1080 to 720 downscale is fine. do that with bilinear filter which should be the sharpest.

mecon

Read the first post on page 1. 720@30 use quality preset always. 3000 bitrate should be enough for that. set GOP to 60 and IDR to 0 and dont touch anything else. post a video of what you mean quality. I will tell you if its about the expected quality.

Second, 1080 to 720 downscale is fine. do that with bilinear filter which should be the sharpest.

Ill try the GOP and IDR tweaks and get a vod up. Honestly the way it is now, if that's what i should expect from VCE, then I might as well not stream at all, I wasnt exaggerating when I said it was unwatchable. But ill record something and post it so you guys can be the judge. Thanks.

Gonanda

Oh my God, @mecon! You can't read! I understand this when read your post! :facepalm:! Read CAREFULLY first post in this thread! Please! And do not enter other users in delusion! All works FINE! Just need play some options in AMD VCE Encoder! That's it!

mecon

Alright calm down dude, I admit I missed the part about IDR and GOP, and fixing that did improve the quality to something passable. I'm still gonna try to get a recording uploaded and see if i can get any improvements.

EDIT: Made a short recording. Keep in mind this is MUCH better than before I changed the GOP setting. This quality is somewhat acceptable to me. However I do notice in the video that the quality seems to pulse almost. Like it looks great for a second and then gets very blurry/pixelated, this is more noticeable in the last minute of the vid. Could this be a buffering issue?

Also, please don't judge my shitty gameplay. :)

https://youtu.be/8ySzixlY_oc

Last edited:
I couldn't understand why I get 80 fps in dota 2 on max settings when not streaming, and 30 fps in-game when streaming. It turned out to be running my webcam at the default resolution of 1280x960 even though it's scaled down on the preview. Using 320x240 and scaling it down increased performance significantly. I was getting about 8 fps in dirty bomb making it unplayable, now I get approx 40.

dping

Alright calm down dude, I admit I missed the part about IDR and GOP, and fixing that did improve the quality to something passable. I'm still gonna try to get a recording uploaded and see if i can get any improvements.

EDIT: Made a short recording. Keep in mind this is MUCH better than before I changed the GOP setting. This quality is somewhat acceptable to me. However I do notice in the video that the quality seems to pulse almost. Like it looks great for a second and then gets very blurry/pixelated, this is more noticeable in the last minute of the vid. Could this be a buffering issue?

Also, please don't judge my shitty gameplay. :)

https://youtu.be/8ySzixlY_oc
are you local recording or streaming?

either way, set max qp under advanced to 41 instead of 51

mecon

are you local recording or streaming?

either way, set max qp under advanced to 41 instead of 51

Normally I would just be streaming, I did local recording+streaming to make that video. I'll try your suggestion when I get home from work. Thanks.

adam27

crashed the instant i clicked stop streaming,crash log and dump file is attached. when recording i got a steady 30fps with everything running smooth, but had major KB/Mouse input delay issues

Attachments

• OBSCrashLog2015-08-07_1.txt
    5.8 KB · Views: 13
  • OBSCrashDump2015-08-07_1.dmp
    468.7 KB · Views: 10

mecon

Alright so I set the max qp to 41, but that didnt really change anything, I also tried setting it to 31, but I still get this weird elastic-banding of video quality. The stream looks great every two seconds or so, but the rest of the time it's super grainy and blurry. Should I keep messing with GOP values?

Sorry if you guys feel like you're spoon feeding me here, I'm totally new to OBS and streaming in general.

EDIT: So after messing with GOP settings it seems like the lower the GOP the quicker the pulses in quality. With the GOP set to 15 @30fps, the quality seemed to improve.

https://youtu.be/YDA0twIco5o

Last edited:
For me it's worse than before XD
I think that the previous video was good enough, even x264 wouldn't look much better with the same bitrate.