churchiee

Greetings OBS family,

This is my first time actually posting on a forum anywhere for help. I usually am able to find out on my own through the many resources people post online but this one is got me stumped.

Story: About a couple of months ago I noticed OBS disconnecting and reconnecting and thought nothing of it as I typically stream to multiple platforms(kick,twitch,dlive etc...) however this actually started getting worse and now just connecting via OBS you can sometimes see it almost instantly disconnect and reconnect sometimes it'll do it in 10 minutes or 3 or 2...

What I've done:
I started with the small stuff
Adjusting bit rates from as low as 2500 to up to 6000 KBPS and testing each run - FAIL
Adjusting audio bit rates from 96 - 160 - FAIL
Ran OBS in safe mode without any plugins(only using multi-rmpt) - FAIL
Did a network reset via windows(assuming DNS renewal) - FAIL
Reinstalled video card drivers(NVIDIA) - FAIL
Did a complete reset from windows(not saving personal or apps) complete wipe and reinstalled clean OBS - FAIL
Tried different platforms (DLive, Kick, Trovo, Twitch) seperately and NOT with the plugin multi-rmpt - FAIL
Tried different eithernet ports(NOT USING WIFI FOR STREAMING) on the router - FAIL
Made sure my motherboard drivers and network drivers were up to date - FAIL
Tried the OBS > ADVANCED > NETWORK options to force OBS to a specific IP(also check boxed adjust for bit rates) - FAIL
Tried the OBS > ADVANCED > NETWORK options for IP4 and IP6 - FAIL
Tried manually connecting to twitch via RMPT instead of connecting to account and using stream keys - FAIL
Tried running OBS as admin - FAIL
Made sure that my wifi card is disabled and bluetooth is disabled - FAIL
***Did an CMD ping to google.com -n 1000 test and the test came back with no red flags saying that my internet is the problem.***

Then we went with more serious stuff:
Had ISP do a stress test with the router and various at home trouble shooting steps - FAIL
Had ISP send out tech for complete hardware swap - FAIL
Had tech revert firmware on router to a previous build from a couple of months ago - FAIL
Had tech rewire from the box to my house to make sure the line was secured - FAIL

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have fiber optic as an ISP that has 1GB up and 1GB down. The tech made sure there were no kinks in the line from the box so its not a "light loss" issue and my computer is next to the router/modem connected hard lined(2in1)

I know in the pictures there are no sources thats because I am working off a clean OBS and using the twitch analyzer but regardless of whatever Im putting out either with scenes and sources(game capture,audio device) or not it still disconnects this shows that I am using the BARE basic OBS with nothing on it and still getting this issue.

Other screenshots include both non-safe mode and safe mode.

The internet is consistent because I am on it while streaming and DO NOT notice any interruption for example I was playing Star Citizen(the most sensitive game to connection interruption I have) and I was still in the game performing online but the OBS was reconnecting and disconnecting constantly so its not like I am getting disrupted when the issue happens.

I am also not noticing a problem when I upload documents or files while working like to Dropbox(webbased).

From all the things we have ruled out the 2 sources I have come to the conclusion is that its OBS(which is why im here) or its my network card on my motherboard(but I have no other issues playing games, uploading documents, or having a constant connection to the internet watching netflix or youtube no buffering that would be a red flag).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my PC specs are this:

CPU Brand: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz
Windows 11 (64 bit)
Driver: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080
RAM: 32665 Mb

https://obsproject.com/logs/o938d4Ja2FBR1Mjx (non-safemode)
https://obsproject.com/logs/NrSh2Bj1BW4Cf0MG (safemode)

This is my first time asking for help on any forum so anything would be great. Thank you!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-04 125136.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-04 125136.png
    214.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot 2024-05-04 125829.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-04 125829.png
    53.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot 2024-05-04 125754.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-04 125754.png
    52.2 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot 2024-05-04 125708.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-04 125708.png
    227.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 2024-05-04 12-55-21.txt
    10 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot 2024-05-04 125606.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-04 125606.png
    161.4 KB · Views: 6

Lawrence_SoCal

I'm jealous of the 1GbE fiber link...

Beware using "FAIL" on a test... as to me that means, things doesn't work and needed to be replaced/fixed (vs, test was fine, and not the cause of your problem, which it tech testing would be a test = PASS)

And nowhere did I see you reference doing real-time bandwidth monitoring of your LAN, and WAN link... which means doing the equivalent of driving blind-folded.

That OBS Studio log does NOT include a Streaming and/or Recording session, with important details only put into log once you do that
Though the log does show a plugin... for troubleshooting purposes, I'd setup a OBS Studio portable mode, NOTHING added, other than a single Window/Display capture and test with that.

Also, there are plenty of known NIC driver issues, as well as security software settings that can interfere with traffic. So if you rebuilt the OS, and put same back into place, you may have inadvertently carried issue forward. Have you removed/disconnected/powered off ALL other devices on LAN (including smart WiFi devices).. i do mean EVERYTHING? do you have another computer you can test with?

churchiee

I'm jealous of the 1GbE fiber link...

Beware using "FAIL" on a test... as to me that means, things doesn't work and needed to be replaced/fixed (vs, test was fine, and not the cause of your problem, which it tech testing would be a test = PASS)

And nowhere did I see you reference doing real-time bandwidth monitoring of your LAN, and WAN link... which means doing the equivalent of driving blind-folded.

That OBS Studio log does NOT include a Streaming and/or Recording session, with important details only put into log once you do that
Though the log does show a plugin... for troubleshooting purposes, I'd setup a OBS Studio portable mode, NOTHING added, other than a single Window/Display capture and test with that.

Also, there are plenty of known NIC driver issues, as well as security software settings that can interfere with traffic. So if you rebuilt the OS, and put same back into place, you may have inadvertently carried issue forward. Have you removed/disconnected/powered off ALL other devices on LAN (including smart WiFi devices).. i do mean EVERYTHING? do you have another computer you can test with?
Thank you for the reply!

--Apologies I'll be careful! :)

--When you say real-time bandwidth monitoring are you referring to using like an internet speed tester?(open to suggestions or recommendations)

Though the log does show a plugin... for troubleshooting purposes,

--I'll create a log with my normal setup as to give more data.

I'd setup a OBS Studio portable mode, NOTHING added, other than a single Window/Display capture and test with that.

-- Is OBS Studio Portable mode the same as OBS Studio safe mode? I'll set up one with that and test with a log for it.

I haven't tried that but I can do that tonight when I finish with my workload for the day.

-- I can do that test later this evening when I finish my workload for the day and see if I get results.

churchiee

Attachments

• 2024-05-04 14-44-34.txt
    24.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 2024-05-04 14-55-28.txt
    26.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot 2024-05-04 150233.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-04 150233.png
    34.7 KB · Views: 3

Lawrence_SoCal

--When you say real-time bandwidth monitoring are you referring to using like an internet speed tester?(open to suggestions or recommendations)
Internet speed tests can be misleading... such tests drop off the low-end (consider them outliers) BUT for streaming those bottom end numbers are actually the most important.
As for what to use... LOTS of options, and depends in part on what you have ... some routes/switches, etc have such monitoring built-in... though I'd be cautious with any consumer models.
-- Is OBS Studio Portable mode the same as OBS Studio safe mode? I'll set up one with that and test with a log for it.
No... Safe Mode means not enabling certain things, and plugins. Portable mode is a separate 'installation' that doesn't need local admin (ie, can create the 'install' on a USB flash drive (or wherever) and it will run stand-alone. You could install plugins, etc. in Portable Mode... but the idea is a separate, clean install, with NOTHING else configured.
I haven't tried that but I can do that tonight when I finish with my workload for the day.

-- I can do that test later this evening when I finish my workload for the day and see if I get results.

Personally, I'd set up real-time network monitoring first. Start with your router/firewall... just be aware that by default, basic consumer models often aggregate data and it may not be granular/accurate enough... but still a good starting point regardless.

If your router shows using UPLOAD bandwidth of only a small fraction of available UPLOAD bandwidth (let's say, 50%), then you can probably dispense with the disconnect everything else test. But it is always a good idea to have a documented baseline of traffic... ie have metrics of what happens when someone else in house streaming a movie, participating in a video conference, etc. And not to mention using certain popular privacy invading ill-behaved mobile apps. You might be surprised at the traffic in play on your LAN (or not, hard to say).
One thing many people don't realize is what role DNS plays with Internet traffic. My ISP (Cox cable) had 'outages' last year, that were really just DNS Server response failures (Internet ... ie TCP/IP & UDP was fine). Most folks don't know how to diagnose/troubleshoot that (including my ISPs level 1 & 2 techs)
Another possibility is your ISP and LAN is fine, BUT you have somethign running in your PC's 'background' that is causing conflict/contention/delayed response times for certain traffic. I had issues with my employer's laptop workstation (nice beast) with OBS Studio due to security software configuration ... that was not easy to isolate/diagnose. And it doesn't need to be 'employer' ... there are plenty of security software applications that will interfere with streaming, if one isn't careful. Or I read a recent article on Game optimizing Windows 11... many of the suggestions would cause issues with streaming. Or were just bad ideas, generally.

You should NOT need Dynamic bitrate, so I'd turn it off.

If you looked through threads on this forum over recent years, lots of people have had issues, and often it is either 3rd party plugin (streamelements being highly correlated with trouble systems), certain NIC driver/software (ex Killer networks), or something within Operating System. The quick test for a given OBS Studio install is using a clean Portable Mode setup. Next step is a known clean separate computer (for a quick test, doesn't need to be powerful). I can't tell you how many times people were SURE it was their ISP, or {fill in the blank} until they tested with a known clean computer and all was well. The other test is to connect your OBS Studio computer to another ISP to test (take computer elsewhere, cellular network during off hours, etc)

Have you researched your specific NIC? there have been some Intel NICs with known issues (not sure if yours is one of them)

churchiee

Alright so did a few more tests and still having the same issue.

I tried using NVIDIA SHIELD and connected my Twitch Account - Still Disconnecting
I updated the firmware to my intel card LAN(motherboard) - Still Disconnecting
I switched over to Wifi and disabled the motherboard LAN card - Still Disconnecting
Uninstalled the LAN card and tried wifi again - Still Disconnecting
I swapped out Eithernet cables and tried different eithernet ports on the router(though it literally just got replaced and was brand new) - Still Disconnecting
I tried using RESTREAM.io with a completely different key to connect to twitch using their platform - Still Disconnecting

So seeing is how I am able to duplicate the issue with a completely different internet connection(wifi) and a completely different system(NVIDIA SHIELD) to connect to stream with it still having the same issue this has lead me to believe its either an OS problem or possibly the router software.

Made sure metered mode(windows 11 network settings) was disabled
Made sure all the game mode optimizations from windows were disabled
Made sure permissions from the firewall were allowing OBS to function fully(including manually adding the .exe to the rules allowed section)
Made sure to enable read and write options from Windows(right click > properties > security > privileges > read and write and modify)

I just feel like the uploads keep hitting some sort of permissions wall at some point and that it resets the connection from upload its so weird though that I am not noticing any interruption in connection while doing these tests. I feel like with all the OS permissions and functions I've made sure were not impeding the flow that it might be the router software like something inside the 192.168 settings has to be preventing a consistent stream of upload.

Last edited:

churchiee

UPDATE:

I found the culprit. It was my Elgato HD60S causing my OBS to disconnect constantly.. After going through the router settings(192.168) and going through common ports used by OBS and security setting filters. I found that my Macbook air when running OBS twitch analyzer didn't disconnect so it lead me back to my computer so i started disconnecting peripherals and with each disconnect I tested and tested til I got to the Elgato HD60 S and ran a 30 minute test with NO issues. I will now be replacing that device if I am unable to fix it through software/cable/firmware updates/replacement.

Thanks for the help.