New to OBS looking for some help in resolving render lag/skipping frames

wolf1e

Thanks for taking a minute to look at my post.

I recently moved to OBS from Radeon Adrenalin and i cant stress how much better it is. However for the last week i've been getting a problem that's new. I'll get some stuttering in clips. Here's an example of one i took yesterday: https://streamable.com/29s73i (this recording timestamp is 2020-06-01 17-53-01 you can find that in the log below)

The main reason i use obs is for recording, i don't stream. I like to use the replay buffer as recording full games isn't something i need. I'd ideally like to keep the aspect resolution, and recording at 60fps and 1920x1080 if possible, but if that's the problem than so be it, it'll have to be changed.

I was using AVC for encoding but i noticed it was putting a lot of strain/ load on my GPU you can see this on the attachment "obs1_AVC.PNG ", i had always used AVC and the recording lad/stuttering only started last week.
I switched to HVEC and it's doing a better job at keeping the GPU Load down (plus the recording looks better), but i'm still getting a stutter/lag in recordings. You can see this in the attachment "obs1.PNG "

Here's my settings: Labeled attachments "obs2.PNG" and "obs3.PNG "
My Log file can be read here: 2020-06-01 17-53-01.txt

Any advice or information would be appreciated, i'm afraid i'm too new to obs and i've exhausted any knowledge i have on the subject as to why it's stuttering and lagging.

Attachments

• obs1_AVC.PNG
    obs1_AVC.PNG
    4.8 KB · Views: 77
  • obs1.PNG
    obs1.PNG
    8.9 KB · Views: 108
  • obs2.PNG
    obs2.PNG
    48.4 KB · Views: 105
  • obs3.PNG
    obs3.PNG
    27.9 KB · Views: 96
  • 2020-06-01 17-53-01.txt
    10.8 KB · Views: 43

qhobbes

1. Update your Windows per https://obsproject.com/blog/five-simple-tips-for-new-streamers
2. Run OBS as Admin
3. Your GPU is maxed out and OBS can't render scenes fast enough. Running a game without vertical sync or a frame rate limiter will frequently cause performance issues with OBS because your GPU will be maxed out. OBS requires a little GPU to render your scene.

Enable Vsync or set a reasonable frame rate limit that your GPU can handle without hitting 100% usage.

If that's not enough you may also need to turn down some of the video quality options in the game. If you are experiencing issues in general while using OBS, your GPU may be overloaded for the settings you are trying to use.

Please check our guide for ideas why this may be happening, and steps you can take to correct it at https://obsproject.com/wiki/GPU-overload-issues
4. The encoder is skipping frames because of CPU overload. Read about it at https://obsproject.com/wiki/General-Performance-and-Encoding-Issues
5. In Windows 10 versions 1809 and newer, we recommend that "Game Mode" be enabled for maximum gaming performance. Game Mode can be enabled via the Windows 10 "Settings" app, under Gaming > Game Mode
6. Your log contains no recording or streaming session. Results of this log analysis are limited. Please post a link to a clean log file.
To make a clean log file, please follow these steps:

1) Restart OBS.
2) Start your stream/recording for about 30 seconds. Make sure you replicate any issues as best you can, which means having any games/apps open and captured, etc.
3) Stop your stream/recording.
4) Select Help > Log Files > Upload Current Log File. Send that link via this troubleshooting tool or whichever support chat you are using.

wolf1e

So i took on advice you gave me and did the following.
  1. My windows was already up to date and so was the version of OBS i was using.
  2. Ran OBS as Admin (this is one step i took)
  3. Enabled Game Mode
  4. I did not enable VSYNC however
This didn't make much of a difference but after enabling Game Mode i noticed in my task manager the statistics for my GPU did lower slightly.

After 3 days of testing my GPU was still maxed out so the steps i took to counter this was
  • I figured it could be my quality preset so i changed this from quality to balanced and it instantly made a significant difference. I'm also using CQP as the rate control method. (This eliminated any stuttering/render lag in my recordings, there isn't even any difference visually from my clips but going from quality to balanced is what seemed to be the issue originally)
  • I Lowered the recording frame rate to 30 and raised it to 50 again this made an even more drastic difference at 30 but sacrificed some extra juice to up it to 50, again still no render lag or stuttering. after a couple of days i upped it to 59.94 and recording continued to be good, i'm still currently getting no stuttering/render lag.
The main culprit seems to be how demanding i was of my GPU. My output settings were too much for the gpu so lowering the quality preset and frame rate which did the trick.

Thank you qhobbes for your suggestions and help i really appreciate it.