Resource icon

Microphone DSP plugin 1.1

kballen

kballen submitted a new resource:

Microphone DSP plugin - Enhances the quality of the microphone input with voice capture DSP.

This plugin adds voice capture processing to the microphone input, which hopefully will make low-end mics sound better. It replaces the default OBS microphone audio source, which provides unprocessed mic input, with an auxiliary source that provides audio from the Windows voice capture DMO, the component used for voice preprocessing in Skype. The effects it provides include echo cancellation, automatic gain control, and noise removal. No setup or configuration is currently required, just put...

Read more about this resource...

belboz

This sounds interesting. Would be nice if push to talk worked. But I guess you could use one of those global push to talk programs.

kballen

kballen updated Microphone DSP plugin with a new update entry:

Added support for OBS audio devices and microphone gain settings

The plugin now reads OBS configuration to select the audio devices to use for the voice capture DMO. The microphone device is obviously used for voice capture, and the desktop audio device is used as the speaker feedback input for echo cancellation. In addition, the OBS microphone gain value will be applied to the audio data. Note: if your microphone gain setting is greater than 1, I strongly recommend setting it back to 1, seeing how it sounds, and going from there. Because the audio...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Jack0r

The Helping Squad
Hmm, wanted to test the plugin, but as soon as I use it, it affects my mic volume in windows, it goes from 0 to 15.3 db and if I try to turn it down it goes back up until I stop recording in OBS.

kballen

Disable Windows microphone auto-calibration and fix default endpoint lookup

Previously the voice capture DMO would perform the same microphone volume and gain auto-tuning that Skype does. This behavior has been disabled, so the Windows microphone settings will not be affected while OBS is active. Please note that when using any software that performs auto-gain control, it is desirable to set the input level (the Windows mic settings) to as loud as possible without distortion, so that AGC is free to calibrate to a good volume level while maintaining SNR.

The DMO seems...

itsRyansKi

Is there going to be 64bit support for this? Wanted to give it ago as Microphone Noise Gate has been bugging out a lot recently for me.

Nevermind, seen the files name now. Cheers for this!

ImJoeYouKnow

Bug report: While doing a local recording to test levels and sound, I adjusted my microphone volume. After doing this the microphone was out of sync from the webcam input by quite a lot. If this gets fixed I would be sure to use this plugin.

kballen

Can you verify that you don't have desynced audio without the plugin? I wasn't able to reproduce the issue but I did notice upon closer inspection that, with or without plugin, my desktop audio doesn't sync with my video without a time offset. If your audio is synced without the plugin, can you upload the OBS log and perhaps your global/profile config (without your stream key, of course). Thanks.

kballen

Added second noise removal stage after microphone gain [version 1.0]

Using the Speex preprocessor library, a second pass of noise removal is performed after microphone gain is applied. This will eliminate audible noise that's present when a high mic boost value is used.

The plugin also now checks for an existing audio source with the same name, in case you have two copies of the dll in your plugins folder by mistake.

DaRa

Hello,

Was patiently waiting for a new update, hoping it would resolve my bug. But since it does still occurs with last version, I feel like I should share it :
http://i.imgur.com/TAGwUqd.png
This happens every time (streaming,previewing, scene empty,...) I fullscreen preview mode and press ESC to Escape it.
Any idea ?
(After removing the plugin DLL then no more bug)

Regards

kballen

Hello,

Was patiently waiting for a new update, hoping it would resolve my bug. But since it does still occurs with last version, I feel like I should share it :
http://i.imgur.com/TAGwUqd.png
This happens every time (streaming,previewing, scene empty,...) I fullscreen preview mode and press ESC to Escape it.
Any idea ?
(After removing the plugin DLL then no more bug)

Regards

Thanks for reporting this issue. Can you attach or PM me an OBS log file? Thanks.

VinnyJ

This only happens to me if I resize the OBS window, while previewing or streaming.
Otherwise, it's fine.

AROAH

So is the insane jump in CPU usage just due to how intensive the realtime audio processing is? I'm seriously getting around a 15-20% increase in CPU usage from OBS because of this plugin.

DaRa

Thanks for reporting this issue. Can you attach or PM me an OBS log file? Thanks.
I tried to re produce the bug, but weirdly enough, now it occurs but I have to alt tab to focus on the message, and once clicked Ok, OBS straight close and so I can't have a crash report. All I can have is the last log :
https://gist.github.com/anonymous/47377bfba745b06d7de3

But a couple of weeks ago, I asked Jim about this bug and sent him this crash log :
http://pastebin.com/nqghxJjW

As VinnyJ stated, it also happens when you try to resize OBS while streaming/previewing.

kballen

So is the insane jump in CPU usage just due to how intensive the realtime audio processing is? I'm seriously getting around a 15-20% increase in CPU usage from OBS because of this plugin.
Nope, there was a bug due in part to some poor documentation from Microsoft and a careless mistake on my part. The latest update should fix the excessive CPU usage. Thanks for the report!

I tried to re produce the bug, but weirdly enough, now it occurs but I have to alt tab to focus on the message, and once clicked Ok, OBS straight close and so I can't have a crash report. All I can have is the last log :
https://gist.github.com/anonymous/47377bfba745b06d7de3

But a couple of weeks ago, I asked Jim about this bug and sent him this crash log :
http://pastebin.com/nqghxJjW

As VinnyJ stated, it also happens when you try to resize OBS while streaming/previewing.
I can't reproduce this issue but I made a change that hopefully will work around the crash. I suspect it may be a conflicting plugin that isn't behaving. Please let me know if the crash persists after the update.

Edgard Castro

wow, this is an amazing plugin! thanks a lot! this fixed my whole background noise issue. even better than my setup with audition.

any chance to make it a VST?