Question / Help Live streaming multicam with more than 5 cameras using Atem mini pro with Obs

Hello everyone. I am new to streaming in general. I own a music Studio in Greece and we wont to get into live streaming music concerts that they will take place here in our studio. So we are speaking with a very well known musician here in Greece and we are planing to do a very ambitious stream of his performance. They will be around 8 musicians in total and since i am the only one who knows about video here i want to use stationary cameras on tripods and i will do the live switching. I bought the new atem mini pro from Blackmagic and want to use it in combination with Obs. The ideal setup for 8 musicians would be to have at least 7 cameras so i can have great coverage. I own 5 cameras and The only way that i thought to do it without buying expensive equipment was the following.
I want to connect 4 cameras to my atem mini and send the feed via usb in my computer running Obs so i can create one scene with this. Then i will connect directly to this computer my sony camera that has an 4k output over hdmi via a capture card like elgato camlink 4k sending 4k signal. From this camera i will create 3 more scenes one the full shot and two more just zoomed in to more closeup shots and since the input will be 4k i will not loose any resolution. So theoretically i will have something like 7 shots to play with. I know that the switching will be awkward since i will have to switch 4 from the atem switcher and 3 from the obs streaming in full HD. I want to know if my thinking stupid or possible . I dont have the switcher yet so its all based in my understanding about that matter witch is not a lot since i never had a stream before. Also one way i am thinking to overcome the awkward switching thing i am thinking to use elgato streamdeck app for ipad and the companion app to try to setup there shortcuts for all 7 cameras and switch from there. Sorry if i confused you. Glad to be part of this comunity. If you have any suggestion feel free to tell me. Thanks

FabriA

Not sure I understood 100% of it, but I'll give it a try. Unless you can't make without lowering your camera quantity or expectations, you might be better off getting a second ATEM Mini and connecting the HDMI OUT to one input on the Mini Pro, this will give you 7 inputs, easy switching (sort of) and most importantly no USB headaches. A common PC only handles two 1080p capture cards at once, and even then sometimes there are problems.

Not sure I understood 100% of it, but I'll give it a try. Unless you can't make without lowering your camera quantity or expectations, you might be better off getting a second ATEM Mini and connecting the HDMI OUT to one input on the Mini Pro, this will give you 7 inputs, easy switching (sort of) and most importantly no USB headaches. A common PC only handles two 1080p capture cards at once, and even then sometimes there are problems.
Thank you very much for your fast response. That's a great idea and i really never think of. I dont know if my budget allows me to buy a second atem right now but for sure it will be a great idea for the future. My computer is an intel i7 8700k 6 cores 12 threads ,32gb ram and an nvidia 1080 for Graphics. Do you believe that is not enough for this task? Ether way thank you for the great advise.

FabriA

It depends on the USB controller number and configuration. I have a pretty fast laptop for my streaming setup and it has only one USB controller, never got more than two capture cards at once.
The AATEM Mini is around 250 dollars but you may be able to pick one up cheaper since BMD just announced the Pro.

It depends on the USB controller number and configuration. I have a pretty fast laptop for my streaming setup and it has only one USB controller, never got more than two capture cards at once.
The AATEM Mini is around 250 dollars but you may be able to pick one up cheaper since BMD just announced the Pro.
Thank you a lot again. You gave me food for thought.