Is it possible to place, frame and make ready newly imported video sources in Preview?

Maggers

Hello world,
Is there a way to setup a Scene in the preview panel? I ask because if I'm running a Live Stream and I'm given a video to play out when I bring in the video as a new Source the only way I can currently see how to frame it/centre whatever is by hitting Transition and then I have to rapidly go into it's options on the Audio Mixer, hit Output and Monitor then go back and frame/position the video which is an utter mess.
There has to be a way I can buiild/prep it all under Preview so when I Transition its all ready to go and looks great.

Thanks in advance for either "sorry no, thats a known limitation of OBS" or "yes you need to do......" .

Cheers,
Lu

koala

That's what studio mode is for. Activate studio mode, and you have 2 previews. You can work with your scenes and sources and see what you will get on the preview on the left. This work isn't active yet. Actually life is the preview on the right, and you make the prepared scenes and sources life by clicking the "transition" button in the center between the two previews.

By the way, you don't need to activate monitoring for media sources. That's only for the local machine so you can hear it as well. Audio of any media will go out to the stream as default. Your viewers will hear it as soon as you play the media. It's silent only for you.

Last edited:

JohnPee

Maggers, in Studio Mode, you have two "windows", the right hand "window" is what is going out Live to the internet if you are streaming. The left hand "window" is the Preview where you can build the next set of scenes/content that you want to stream to the internet. You would load your new video content here ready to broadcast. To "go live" you would transition from preview to live. There are a number of "How Toos" on this forum to help you learn about OBS.

Maggers

That's what studio mode is for. Activate studio mode, and you have 2 previews. You can work with your scenes and sources and see what you will get on the preview on the left. This work isn't active yet. Actually life is the preview on the right, and you make the prepared scenes and sources life by clicking the "transition" button in the center between the two previews.

By the way, you don't need to activate monitoring for media sources. That's only for the local machine so you can hear it as well. Audio of any media will go out to the stream as default. Your viewers will hear it as soon as you play the media. It's silent only for you.
Are you telling me that after x years of using the software the audio will go out and the "mute and output" is only for my own use benefit? I'm not convinced because I've had it when I've run streams and upon transition theres been no audio output to the world because I'd not set "monitor and output" on.

Maggers

Maggers, in Studio Mode, you have two "windows", the right hand "window" is what is going out Live to the internet if you are streaming. The left hand "window" is the Preview where you can build the next set of scenes/content that you want to stream to the internet. You would load your new video content here ready to broadcast. To "go live" you would transition from preview to live. There are a number of "How Toos" on this forum to help you learn about OBS.

Hi Koala,
Thanks for the reply. Could you tell me what I'm doing wrong here please? I've been using the software for years and , to date, if I want the PGM to look great I have to build and transition my entire broadcast all in advance.
I'm in Studio mode, of course, and when I bring in a new video source (this sdsdsds.mp4 is 1280x720 for example) onto a 1920x1080 Canvas and Output I just get a red marker;
1713886818147.png

If I then hit Transition it looks like this;
1713887025505.png

And its only now that I can see in the Preview the Source and can move/stretch the bounding box around to make it fit, then transition a second time to take effect. Furthermore, I cant do anything with Audio settings until I transition across as it doesnt show until that point.

How do you prep and build in Preview on-the-fly for a broadcast?

Thank you

Maggers

Hi John, as above with the screenshots, what do you think I'm doing wrong here please? Thank you

koala

Are you telling me that after x years of using the software the audio will go out and the "mute and output" is only for my own use benefit?
Well, yes, that's the case. Everything that's monitored is primarily for your own benefit. "Monitor" means the audio is played back on the monitoring device you set in Settings > Audio > Advanced > Monitoring device. "Output" means the audio is played back on the output that goes to the stream or to your recording. Some people misuse the monitoring feature to capture the monitoring device back with OBS and send this capture to the output. If they also directly output such audio ("monitor and output"), they create interesting sound effects such as echo and reverb only perceived by the audience but not by yourself, because the audio is sent 2 times. 1 from "output" and 1 from the looped back captured monitoring device with a tiny delay, so the result is slightly distorted.

You see the audio of a non monitored media source in the audio mixer of OBS. The meter will actively display this audio and your audience will hear it, even if it isn't audible on the local system.

Maggers

Good Afternoon,
Well, whaddaya know! The audio on a new source DOES indeed go out even if you dont do monitor and output. Not sure what happened on a broadcast I did ages back where it went out with no audio but never mind.
Brought in some Sources today, still got that tiny red dot but did (blind) Ctrl D and Ctrl F and that looked ok when Transitioned. Still not seeing any change in Preview though until after I've transitioned and this happens on various machines I use.
Is this expected behaviour or do you get the facility to position etc your newly imported Sources in Preview?
Cheers,
Lu

Suslik V

As for the Audio Mixer pane - it shows Program sources when OBS is in Studio mode. I think, at some point there will be decision to add single word to the dock pane title, like: Audio Mixer (Program) while user using Studio mode. Or maybe I'm wrong.

As for the Media sources in Studio Mode - try to click Stop button, then Restart, then Pause (will appear instead of Restart) in the Source Toolbar, at least you'll see the source in the Preview and be able to position it before the full transition to the Program.

Edit:
probably, some users don't like to start Media from the start, thus they make unckecked the Restart playback when the source becomes active property and closing media source properties window by clicking OK button. This effectively starts playback of the source in Preview. So, as soon as video already started by itself, user just seeks to point were most interesting part of the video should start and making full transition to the Program (to show to the viewers only most interesting part).

Last edited: