iOS Camera for OBS Studio

iOS Camera for OBS Studio v2.5.0

Robertsmania

I'm really excited to have found this, and hope it will work in the system I've put together for live streaming motorsports. I've been looking for a better forward facing camera (been using a standard webcam). My goal has been to find something that supports tethered Live View or RTSP over USB to OBS. Most action cameras do not support that kind of connection and I'm not enthusiastic about WiFi video and I already know the iPhone does a good job.

Here's how things are looking now. The webcam keeps trying to auto focus (even though I turn that off in its settings) and doesn't handle motion and drastic changes in lighting well.

For offline videos I strap an iPhone to the rearview mirror and use an app called TrackAddict to record video and telemetry data. This is what those videos look like with the fancy overlays.

I am already using an iPhone with an old unlimited data plan as a USB modem and could mount that phone to also be the forward facing camera.

Do you know if your app will work when the phone is also using the USB connection as a tethered network hotspot?

pigtigg

Hi. This is my second attempt to install and run the IOS camera for OBS. Regardless of what I do I can't get OBS to see my iphone 7 plus. I have restarted my computer, OBS, my iphone, the OBS app, disconnected leads, started new sources up every time, checked USB is checked, etc etc. Still no joy. Some help please. I'm running on Windows 10.

EricP

I'm loving the app so far! It's great to use my old phone as a high quality webcam. I only have one issue that I cant seem to figure out.

When I change scenes in OBS (I set up for different two camera perspectives) the iphone freezes up. If i switch back to the original scene, its still working there. Even if I refresh the phone in settings, it will work for on the preview screen but when I click "ok" it freezes again. Is there an issue with switching scenes or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!

EricP

Question before I buy: does this allow for both video+audio from the iPhone as well? I've been able to use a different app that brings in a clean full-screen view of my iPhone's camera to OBS, but OBS doesn't see it as an audio source, and using Apple's Audio MIDI Setup on my Mac to utilize my iPhone's audio shuts off it's use of video. Thanks in advance for your help on this!

Yep! Sure does! Using OBS make sure you mute one of the mics (wither phone or camera) or you'll get a video with double echo sound.

justinr424

Hi. This is my second attempt to install and run the IOS camera for OBS. Regardless of what I do I can't get OBS to see my iphone 7 plus. I have restarted my computer, OBS, my iphone, the OBS app, disconnected leads, started new sources up every time, checked USB is checked, etc etc. Still no joy. Some help please. I'm running on Windows 10.
I'm on the same boat. I just paid for this app and ill be pretty bummed out if this doesn't work out. Has anyone figured this out yet?

wtsnz

Is the developer still supporting this app?

@wtsnz

Yes, when I have the time! I've been away for December, but now I'm back in the flow of things.

Is there anyway to have the video in OBS to show landscape mode?

Yes, this is automatic depending on the orientation of the device. Make sure that the orientation lock is disabled on your iOS Device and then rotate the phone while running the app.

As for everyone else experiencing connection issues. I don't know what to say other than make to follow the connections steps exactly. It can be a little fiddly sometimes - something I'm looking at improving. Also if you're on Windows, make sure to have installed iTunes (and have restarted afterwards).

If you're using the USB connection method, I would try
1. unplug the iOS device,
2. force quit the OBS Camera App on the iOS Device,
3. open the OBS Camera App again,
4. and then plug the device back in.

pt21

I bought the ios studio app. I'm using a iphone X , when I plug it into my computer and run the apps the starting picture is turned on it side. I'm trying to record in landscape mode / the phone is horizontal on a stand. I'm assuming this would be the best recording mode for youtube not vertical, correct?

2. Whenever I rotate the video to be the correct side up under transform - rotate 90 ccw, and then record its not full screen and there are black bars all around the video. If i click Control + F to make it full screen it unrotates the video back to the original which the video is turned on its side. How do I get it to record in full screen in portrait mode? - EDIT I belive I fixed the orientation issue by just rotating the iphone and then the obs studio software figured it out. If its in landscape mode is the picture zoomed in by default? If so is there a way to unzoom it?

3. I'm not doing any streaming just recording for youtube. Should the encoder be hardware (qsv) or software x264, or software x264 low cpu usage increases file size? I'm just wanting the best picture possible. What should the bitrate be for an iphone X I have it at 10,000

4. are there any recommended obs settings for iphone 10 or higher somewhere I can look at? I'm on a pc computer.

Thank you!

Last edited:

MaxTrev

Hi Will (or anyone else who can help!),
Any suggestions...
I have a Win10 HP Elitebook with i5 processor & 8Gb RAM. At no point do I go over about 30% CPU utilisation. I want to LIVE stream to facebook and youtube (but not at the same time!).
I've been using OBS with OBScamera for about a month now. I've had excellent success with iPhone 6&7 (720 resolution with 10Mb/s, but if I use 1080 I have to drop to 4Mb/s).
I've had limited success with iphone 5 (until I updated to 2.4.0 I could get it to work at 720 and 1Mb/s, but now with 2.4.0 I'm struggling to get anything). I either get nothing, a static image or occasionally a live feed when setting up the source, but once I save the settings it stops updating.
I've had no success with iphone 4S - just lines on the top half of the display and a really distorted image in the bottom half.

I've tried a fresh install, loads of different resolutions / frame rate / bitrate combinations but am struggling.

I really don't want to rely on the iphone 7 (as its my phone and I want to leave 2 phones permanently setup in the venue).

I get these errors in the OBS log when it starts (but I don't *think* any of them relate to the iOS camera:
Code:
20:59:59.151: [AMF] AMF Test failed due to one or more errors.
20:59:59.151: Failed to initialize module 'enc-amf.dll'
20:59:59.176: Required module function 'obs_module_load' in module '../../obs-plugins/64bit/libcef.dll' not found, loading of module failed
20:59:59.176: LoadLibrary failed for '../../obs-plugins/64bit/libEGL.dll': The specified procedure could not be found.
20:59:59.176:  (127)
20:59:59.176: Module '../../obs-plugins/64bit/libEGL.dll' not loaded
20:59:59.179: Required module function 'obs_module_load' in module '../../obs-plugins/64bit/libGLESv2.dll' not found, loading of module failed
20:59:59.181: [obs-browser]: Version 2.1.5
20:59:59.182: [obs-browser]: Blacklisted device detected, disabling browser source hardware acceleration.
20:59:59.187: LoadLibrary failed for 'nvEncodeAPI64.dll': The specified module could not be found.
20:59:59.187:  (126)
20:59:59.190: Loading iOS Camera Plugin (version 2.4.0)
20:59:59.214: Couldn't find VLC installation, VLC video source disabled
20:59:59.219: No blackmagic support

And these are the errors I get in the log when I try to connect to the iphone 5:

Code:
21:00:20.502: error:   non-existing PPS 0 referenced
21:00:20.502: error:   decode_slice_header error
21:00:20.504: error:   non-existing PPS 0 referenced
21:00:20.504: error:   decode_slice_header error
21:00:20.540: error:   non-existing PPS 0 referenced
21:00:20.540: error:   decode_slice_header error
21:00:20.555: error:   non-existing PPS 0 referenced
21:00:20.555: error:   decode_slice_header error
21:00:21.667: [obs-ios-camera-plugin] Video Decoding queue overloaded. 26 frames behind. Please use a lower quality setting.
21:00:21.667: error:   Frame num change from 13 to 24
21:00:21.667: error:   decode_slice_header error
21:00:21.678: error:   Frame num change from 13 to 24
21:00:21.678: error:   decode_slice_header error

etc etc repeat repeat... until then periodically I get this:

21:00:22.328: error:   Frame num change from 13 to 12
21:00:22.329: error:   decode_slice_header error
21:00:22.344: error:   Frame num change from 13 to 12
21:00:22.344: error:   decode_slice_header error
21:00:22.368: error:   decode_slice_header error
21:00:22.386: error:   Missing reference picture, default is 0
21:00:22.386: error:   decode_slice_header error
21:00:22.415: error:   Frame num change from 13 to 14
21:00:22.415: error:   decode_slice_header error
21:00:22.436: error:   Frame num change from 13 to 14
21:00:22.436: error:   decode_slice_header error

That goes on for nearly 2Mb...

I love the concept, and have had great successes - would just love to understand what I need to do for a little more robustness...

PLEASEEEEEEE help!

Thank you guys!

Trev

pt21

@MaxTrev , an iPhone 5 is over 6 years old technology at this point. I wouldn’t use that and expect good results or good quality video.

MaxTrev

Yeah. I know! But I’ve got one spare!!!! *grin*

Perhaps it would be helpful if there was a ‘minimum spec’ information for the iOS app. At the moment it is listed as needing minimum of iPhone 4S. If thats the issue then at least I know and can buy better (but how better?) - It would be really helpful to know for sure if thats the problem. I know an iphone 5 is old - but the camera in there is still amazing and the processor is still pretty impressive.

Thanks for the reply...

La_Verte

Worked once, tried your trouble shooting it does not work anymore on :
iphone 6s
iphone 8

I understand that Dev need money and resources that's why i purchased this app but are you still supporting it ?