Question / Help How to use OBS to live stream on Zoom?

deskrig

Whenever I use OBS virtual cam with Zoom it's really low resolution can someone help me to understand why?
Unfortunately, Zoom caps their free user resolution at 720. Have you ever heard of lifesize.com? They allow 1080 for free users and the difference is vastly noticeable.

Deep Trekker

Dudes / Dudettes,

This has now become very topical. Zoom has become the de facto standard business tool for video conferencing in the post Covid -19 era. Every business meeting is through Zoom.

It would be great to turn OBS's output into a virtual webcam that could be seen by Zoom / Google Meets / Skype / etc.

To that end, I installed the OBS-VirtualCam 2.0.4 extension. Zoom now detects OBS as a webcam, but it gives me an error message saying "the camera could not start" (or something similar) when I pick OBS as a webcam. Skype doesn't even recognize OBS as a webcam.

What's the solution? It would be great to make this a standard function of OBS, without the need for extensions.

My goal actually is to use my Canon 6D / 5D IV / Sony A7R III's Live View as a webcam. It would be far superior to the crappy webcam my laptop comes with. I want to do this without a $200-300 capture card that i will sure misplace. If I could do this through OBS, I could also use the functionality of OBS and the functionality of Canon's / Sony's Live View / Remote Shooting utility: set my own white balance, shutter speed, ISO, aperture.

What's the solution?

Thanks Guys / Girls!

https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/obs-virtualcam.539/download

I set up a broadcast system exactly like this and settled on OBS as the solution a few week ago. My company bought an expensive video switching board as a capture card, so I can’t help you with that end, but I have experienced exactly the issue you described with zoom last week.

The problem is with Zoom’s new video client. You need to revert to the previous version. It auto updates when you launch it. We ran a set of tests and a full dry run of a live broadcast the day of a scheduled event and then when I reopened zoom for that event it autoupdated and the system no longer worked. Thankfully we ended up cancelling the event because we didn’t have enough registrations.

The solution is simple and it lives in a thread somewhere in this forum. There is a fellow who actually wrote a script to uninstall zoom, reinstall the previous version and to kill the auto update. I’ll see if I can find it and post the link here.

Found it!

Best of luck!

P.s. I found a weird workaround for audio, if you have trouble with that, try using virtual audio cable. This works for me but only if I set OBS’s audio monitoring channel to the virtual cable input and then zoom mic to the virtual audio cable output.

TurtleDynasty

I got OBS virtual camera working well as a video source in Zoom with help from these comments. But I am DEVASTATED that this plugin doesn't also handle audio. I am finding the plethora of freewares and plugins dizzying. Has anyone found a reliable way to get live audio from OBS into Zoom? I had videos, music, sound effects that I have been using OBS to manage, so they sync with scene transitions and so on. And I can't just use a virtual audio cable to connect desktop audio to the default sound source because my web cam forces its internal microphone into the default sound source no matter what.

It would be so lovely if zoom and obs got along better.

bantboy

I got OBS virtual camera working well as a video source in Zoom with help from these comments. But I am DEVASTATED that this plugin doesn't also handle audio. I am finding the plethora of freewares and plugins dizzying. Has anyone found a reliable way to get live audio from OBS into Zoom?

Same here. I never bothered with Zoom or MS Teams until now, and all I'm looking for is a simple way to patch the OBS Studio audio output to a virtual microphone that I can then select as the audio source in Zoom/Teams.

Singinsammy

Same here. I never bothered with Zoom or MS Teams until now, and all I'm looking for is a simple way to patch the OBS Studio audio output to a virtual microphone that I can then select as the audio source in Zoom/Teams.
I am so totally new and lost. I'm grateful that I can stream to FaceBook using OBS, but I have a few clients that really want to use zoom. For me the audio quality is way more important than the video

Voidscream

Hey there,

I have a quite similar problem. I have to use Zoom and want to share my screen with different scenes. One scene is an image, one scene just my normal webcam input and one scene my webbrowser content with a facecam.

I installed virtualcam and that program was also detected as webcam and is also useable, but only with low resolution and a pretty strong latency. When it comes to sound, my mic is working, but because of the latency very off.

When I share a preview screen of obs while using zoom, it works for the image and the facecam but not for the shared view with my facecam. But latency and quality seems to be good.

So is there also a solution with virutalcam without the problem of low resolution and high latency? I read all the threads and the shared preview might work for me as well, but right now I can't find the right setting.

Thanks for the help

ldjones3

Dudes / Dudettes,

This has now become very topical. Zoom has become the de facto standard business tool for video conferencing in the post Covid -19 era. Every business meeting is through Zoom.

It would be great to turn OBS's output into a virtual webcam that could be seen by Zoom / Google Meets / Skype / etc.

To that end, I installed the OBS-VirtualCam 2.0.4 extension. Zoom now detects OBS as a webcam, but it gives me an error message saying "the camera could not start" (or something similar) when I pick OBS as a webcam. Skype doesn't even recognize OBS as a webcam.

What's the solution? It would be great to make this a standard function of OBS, without the need for extensions.

My goal actually is to use my Canon 6D / 5D IV / Sony A7R III's Live View as a webcam. It would be far superior to the crappy webcam my laptop comes with. I want to do this without a $200-300 capture card that i will sure misplace. If I could do this through OBS, I could also use the functionality of OBS and the functionality of Canon's / Sony's Live View / Remote Shooting utility: set my own white balance, shutter speed, ISO, aperture.

What's the solution?

Thanks Guys / Girls!

https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/obs-virtualcam.539/download
I believe you can go to canons website and download the canon utility software. You wont need a capture card but you will need a mini usb to usb to commect your camera to your computer.

The camera will pick up what is essentially your screen viewer. You can then use windows capture to put that in obs and crop it so only that window shows.

pillarsoffranch

I got OBS virtual camera working well as a video source in Zoom with help from these comments. But I am DEVASTATED that this plugin doesn't also handle audio. I am finding the plethora of freewares and plugins dizzying. Has anyone found a reliable way to get live audio from OBS into Zoom? I had videos, music, sound effects that I have been using OBS to manage, so they sync with scene transitions and so on. And I can't just use a virtual audio cable to connect desktop audio to the default sound source because my web cam forces its internal microphone into the default sound source no matter what.

I use Voicemeeter Potato. I'm able to merge Zoom audio, a Google Voice phone connection to Blogtalkradio and OBS. It took a bit to merge but it works well as long as Zoom doesn't change their client too much. Message me if you want my config file.

Widyadrianto

Hy

i have a problem too with connecting audio input to zoom.

but i fixing by using zoom in web browser than using zoom app, it run flawlessly using my focusrite with wireless mic as an input.

sorry my english not very well. hope it can help you guys.

fycfung

I figured out a way to do this on Windows using VB-Virtual Audio Cable. You can set your audio input capture in OBS to your mic, then in the advanced audio settings for that input, set it to be monitored. Then set the monitor in the OBS settings to be the Virtual Audio Cable input. Then set the mic in Zoom to be the virtual audio cable output.

The only issue I haven't figured out yet is how to set a sync delay....the sync delay in OBS Advanced Audio Settings apparently does not apply to the monitor output. Also, attempting to use VoiceMeeter instead of Virtual Audio Cable seems to cause my Zoom install to stutter.

liusjose5

This is how I got it working with Mac and Catalina 10.15.4 (this post was very helpful: https://medium.com/@dkiesow/how-to-fix-the-virtual-camera-function-in-zoom-mac-only-9872a6d9ea5 )
You need Xcode installed.
Latest Zoom version will hide virtual cams so you need to use an earlier version (no security on those tho) here is a link to an late march working version:
4.6.8 (March 23, 2020) https://zoom.us/client/4.6.19178.0323/ZoomInstaller.pkg
That worked.

If you want to try with the new version there's also this:

An advanced solution sourced from a Reddit thread by Scotty588 and provided by Patrick Wardle:

Install the latest Zoom, install XCode and run this in Terminal:

$ codesign --remove-signature /Applications/zoom.us.app/

Steve1000

Hi folks

Wondering if I can pick up in this thread and get some clarity on audio settings. I have used VB-Virtual Audio cables to connect Zoom and OBS.

In OBS
  • laptop microphone as an audio source in OBS.
  • laptop camera as a video source in OBS
  • A number of other combined audio/video sources
  • Audio that I want to send to Zoom is configured in Advance Audio Properties to be Monitor and Output
  • in OBS global Settings-Audio-Advanced-Monitoring Device I have VB-Audio Cable A

In Zoom
  • Speaker is set to VB-Audio Cable B
  • Microphone is set to VB-Audio Cable A
  • Camera is set to OBS Virtual Camera
All seems to work fine.

The problem is, how do I hear the Zoom call participants from the far end?
I have no reason to presume it is not sending all audio to the livestream. But if the Monitoring Device is sending back to Zoom, how to I hear the call as well?

Sorry if this is a dumb question..........

Steve

Gerbs

Hi folks

Wondering if I can pick up in this thread and get some clarity on audio settings. I have used VB-Virtual Audio cables to connect Zoom and OBS.

In OBS
  • laptop microphone as an audio source in OBS.
  • laptop camera as a video source in OBS
  • A number of other combined audio/video sources
  • Audio that I want to send to Zoom is configured in Advance Audio Properties to be Monitor and Output
  • in OBS global Settings-Audio-Advanced-Monitoring Device I have VB-Audio Cable A

In Zoom
  • Speaker is set to VB-Audio Cable B
  • Microphone is set to VB-Audio Cable A
  • Camera is set to OBS Virtual Camera
All seems to work fine.

The problem is, how do I hear the Zoom call participants from the far end?
I have no reason to presume it is not sending all audio to the livestream. But if the Monitoring Device is sending back to Zoom, how to I hear the call as well?

Sorry if this is a dumb question..........

Steve
Good question, and thanks for sharing your setup. Is there a particular reason you want to send the zoom participant audio back to OBS? If not and you just need to hear the participants, change the audio settings in Zoom and set your speakers to your device speaker or headset (reducing potential feedback).

eno_q

I am in same situation, need to monitor the audio of the video meeting and listen and interact with costumer. The setup is fine , I can record and both audios are recorded, mine and participants but I can't here them in my computer audio output . Please anyone sorted out this issue and how ro fix it?? Thanks :)

eno_q

Actually trying and trying again I think solved the problem of ZOOM monitoring with VoiceMetter, Just setup my Input hardware to Virtula Cabel B that is the one bringing the audio from ZOOM and output I Setup my computer Audio and Bluetooth Headphone device, We can choose two devices to output , or just one what fit better.
The last think to sort out is some little audio delay to my voice in Zoom that doesn't match with video.
Thanks
Ciaoo

Gtlgtl

There’s something strange with my setup. Sending OBS Program to Zoom and it’s working with both NDI as virtualcam. To get the OBS audio to Zoom I can also use the Line in NDI audio or Virtual Audio cable. So far so good!

But when I’m doing some tests by starting a Zoom meeting with extra clients (Ipad/Iphone)....I noticed that I’m losing my microphone sound from the OBS/Zoom machine when the other participants have their mic open.
When they mute, my mic is back instantly and crystal clear.

For me this is weird. I tries this from several machines....same issues. Same issues on different mic inputs.......even internal mic.

The only time it was normal when only 2 desktop clients were connected in the Zoom Meeting and no mobile Zoom App users.

Am I missing something?

mattcebc

I figured out a way to do this on Windows using VB-Virtual Audio Cable. You can set your audio input capture in OBS to your mic, then in the advanced audio settings for that input, set it to be monitored. Then set the monitor in the OBS settings to be the Virtual Audio Cable input. Then set the mic in Zoom to be the virtual audio cable output.

The only issue I haven't figured out yet is how to set a sync delay....the sync delay in OBS Advanced Audio Settings apparently does not apply to the monitor output. Also, attempting to use VoiceMeeter instead of Virtual Audio Cable seems to cause my Zoom install to stutter.
Hi Fycfung, I'm going this and Zoom and OBS work well. The only problem i have is that i can't hear any audio because the OBS monitor goes to zoom instead of my desktop so the Zoom Participants can hear the video sources etc. Do you know any way I can both hear the audio myself and send it to zoom. Thanks