How to Uninstall OBS Virtual Camera? This is messing with other apps

mark_b

hmm. I had previously uninstalled OBS not realizing that the virtual camera would remain. got the error message in the camera app that no camera is detected so it's not finding the built in. ran trouble shooter, uninstalled, reinstalled camera app. went to update drivers in Device Manager only to discover that there's no camera listed at all. re-installed to run the uninstaller but no joy. thought maybe I didn't run it as Admin. tried again, rebooted. no joy. installed and ran ccleaner to clear any junk reg entries. still no good. when I ran as admin, it did ask permission but the window didn't show the admin in the top left like it normally does. opened as admin first, copied path and re-ran and rebooted. still no. not in safe mode and confirmed Server service is running. I'm able to use external USB camera but a little annoying that it won't re-detect the onboard nor remove the virtual. wondering if I Borked it once I removed the original camera so the uninstaller isn't seeing it or something like that. really don't want to do a reset on the machine as it's my work machine and re-installing all the apps would be a pita. thoughts/ideas/suggestions?

Attachments

• no_camera.jpg
    no_camera.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 79

bugeekman

You probably don't need to do the uninstall steps using REVO, but I wanted to be thorough

1. Re-installed the old classic version of OBS. https://codecpack.co/download/OBS-Classic.html
2. Installed the old version of the OBS camera plugin. https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/obs-virtualcam.539/
3. Uninstalled the plugin using REVO uninstaller free, advanced scan and delete everything
4. Uninstalled OBS classic using REVO uninstaller free, advanced scan and delete everything
5. Restart the computer

OBS-Camera finally went away and I breathed a sigh of relief at not having to wipe my hard drive to get rid of it. For me, I think I installed this plugin years ago and forgot about it, then updated to the newer obs studio without uninstalling the old obs-camera plugin.

wcndave

• I have tried using the "uninstall" batch file, however that uninstalls the new built in virtual camera, not this plugin.
  • I have tried removing all registry entries that have any reference to obs-cam in them.
  • I have removed the application obs-camera
Agreed - this is an issue with both the User's chosen software, and the users (lack of) understanding of how Windows OS handles cameras, and then blaming OBS.. sigh... PEBKAC
This is pretty insulting and unnecessary tbh. The added cameras are coming up in all applications, and prevent selecting the real cameras. As an IT professional since windows 3.1, I have tried everything I can think of, from the above steps, to confirming another poster's findings that...
  • There are no services that either the program name or description start with OBS or Virtual Camera
  • There are no startup apps that have OBS or virtual camera in the name
  • There are no processes that the name starts with OBS or virtual camera
  • device manager -> Imaging devices only shows my camera(s)
And yet I am unable to use various services and applications...

I don't really want to resort to any 3rd party so called "clean your system" apps, and am therefore completely stuck at the moment.

augustoODS

Hi, Was having issue with the Virtual Camera after unistalling Streamlabs OBS, know it may not be the same thing but hopefully it helps someone. ( I was eliminated from a job interview because of a glitch on camera selection caused by the virtual camera, so you can only imagine how frustrated I was not finding any fixes anywhere.)

1. Reinstalled Stream labs
2. Opened up the Stream Labs app
3. Went into Settings
4. Virtual Webcam
5. Uninstall Virtual Webcam
6. Restart PC

You can only imagine how frustrated I was, after figuring out how simple this was to solve, and there's just nothing anywhere about it.
(I had Uninstalled months prior, so I never imagined there´d be that option built into the app, nor that after uninstalling an app there would be LEFTOVERS)