How to play a game and automatically switch on the navigator capture while alt-tabing

DestrockQc

Hi, as you guys know these days we have a wiki for many games and I would like my audience to see what I see when I alt-tab to check a wiki cause if they can't, all they see is my character afk in game.

I'm searching a way to add my game + webcam + firefox at the same time, BUT show only my game + webcam and never firefox, except when I alt-tab which would then show ONLY firefox. How can I do that ? Surely there is a way ???

I could just record my whole monitor + webcam but I would prefer keeping my desktop/explorer anonymous...

I tried adding firefox as a normal window and did not find how to achieve what I want. I also tried a "real" navigator window but we are forced to add a specific link. That's not what I want, when I go on the wiki I open many links/tabs so I have to show my whole navigator.

DestrockQc

You guys receive 3 questions per hours so I guess if I have no answer after 24 hours that's because nobody saw it ?

koala

You can use the automatic scene switcher for this: Tools->Automatic scene switcher. The switcher is designed to make OBS "follow" your active window if there is a scene for it.
Make one scene for the game, and one scene for the browser, then configure the switching accordingly.

DestrockQc

You can use the automatic scene switcher for this: Tools->Automatic scene switcher. The switcher is designed to make OBS "follow" your active window if there is a scene for it.
Make one scene for the game, and one scene for the browser, then configure the switching accordingly.

I found the option you were talking about. I added my firefox on the wiki page, it detected it immediately, same for my game after launching it. I started the automatic scene switcher but it doesn't work, I verified on twitch. I also tried the other option in case it doesn't detect one of the windows and it didn't help either.

I then tried to put everything from my sources to off, restart OBS with only the automatic scene switcher and I only have a black screen.

koala

Keep in mind, the automated scene switcher looks at the window title. Not at the *.exe. If the title changes, even slightly, it doesn't match any more. If the title of your app changes dynamically, for example Wikipedia always has the article name as window title, you need to identify a part of the title that doesn't change and enter only this part in the scene switcher configuration instead of the full title.

In case of Wikipedia, the title is "Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - Google Chrome" and "<Article name> - Wikipedia - Google Chome". So just enter "Wikipedia" as title match, or "Google Chrome" if you want to show your browser in general, regardless of the page it is showing. You can edit the text, you're not limited to the text the dropdown list offers. With Firefox, the unchanging name part is "Mozilla Firefox".

DestrockQc

Is there something I do wrong ? Cause it's not working.

Edit : It detected Mozilla Firefox and the rest of the page name but in win10 at t he bottom when I read my opened tabs, it doesn't specify Mozilla Firefox.

Y4IgmOt.png

koala

The scene switcher cannot work, because you only have one scene in OBS, the one named "Scene" (with an accent on the first e). Keep in mind: the scene switcher is called SCENE switcher, not source switcher.
To make it work, create an additional scene. Rename the new scene to "Firefox", and rename your existing scene to "DnD online" or just "Game".
Move the Firefox source to the Firefox scene, so if you manually change to the Firefox scene, Firefox is shown on the preview.

Now you can configure the scene switcher to switch to the Firefox scene if "Mozilla Firefox" is detected as window title. Make this the only rule. To make OBS always change to your game scene if it doesn't detect something special, change the setting in the center of the scene you currently set to "Don't switch". Change that and specify the game scene.

If it works correctly, OBS magically changes the scene if you bring Firefox to the front, and magically changes back, as soon as Firefox lose focus.

DestrockQc

I don't understand how to do what you say a video would save time. I think I found what you said about scene switcher vs source switcher (you told me to go in "Tools->Automatic scene switcher" that's what I did)

"Move the Firefox source to the Firefox scene"

I have no firefox source. I can add Mozilla Firefox from the "Tools->Automatic scene switcher" but not in the bottom of OBS in the sources area. If I add a navigator source it become a real navigator inside OBS. I wont use OBS to navigate on the wiki, I will use my real navigator Firefox. And I can't add a normal window in source for firefox.exe because OBS don't list it and we cannot manually add a .exe

"Now you can configure the scene switcher to switch to the Firefox scene if "Mozilla Firefox" is detected as window title. Make this the only rule. To make OBS always change to your game scene if it doesn't detect something special, change the setting in the center of the scene you currently set to "Don't switch". Change that and specify the game scene."

I don't understand this at all and I switched my OBS in english trying to understand better. What do you mean "change the setting in the center of the scene you currently set to" If I click on my scene DDO or Firefox or Normal and open the settings, they all go to the same place. And if instead of doing this I go to "Tools->Automatic scene switcher" and try changing anything to don't switch or switch, it change it for my 3 added things at once.

Plus, my webcam is a playstation 3 webcam with a driver working in windows 10 but not working in OBS as a real webcam source. My workaround is to add a specific window with the "test" coming with these drivers. Except the ugly white line under my webcam window on twitch people can't know this, it look just as any other webcam. But for doing what you want me to do, I think I will have a problem because this work only when that webcam window is in front (in "first"), I mean in window 10 not in OBS. Every time I alt tab I have to click on my webcam window so I can see it, then click on my game window, if not the webcam image freeze (not the .exe, just the image people don't see me moving). I don't know how it work in windows 10, why it still work in OBS when I alt-tab back in my games because their .exe are supposed to become the "front" the "first" window but it work lol... Do you think there is a way to not show the webcam while I'm on the wiki, and make it work perfectly once back in the game ? That's probably with these switch and don't switch options ?

Note : In that picture we see the empty sources inside the scene Firefox but I added my game and my webcam in the scene DDO. The normal scene is all my other games and my webcam locked in the right place in the screen for these games.

RKceIm5.png

koala

Sigh....
If you don't have a source for Firefox yet, then create one. Window capture source. I thought it is clear you need a source for Firefox, if you want to show Firefox on the recording.

Try to get the meaning of the 2 scenes. Build your gaming scene how you want to look your stream or your recording while you're playing your game. It will probably contain the game and the webcam.
Build your Firefox scene how you want to look your stream or recording while you're researching the wiki. Add the capture of Firefox, and if you don't want to include the webcam in that scene, don't include the webcam.
You can switch between these two scenes manually, and the recording changes accordingly. It's what scenes are made for. To change the visible content of your stream or recording on the fly with one click, without messing with the sources directly.

The scene switcher is a tool that just automates the switching. A firefox entry is available in the scene switcher configuration, because this is a list of every window title on your system. You choose one in the scene switcher configuration, then assign a scene you want to become active if you ALT-Tab in Windows to that window title.

Please... you really should be able to work that out yourself. I will not tell every click. Please make yourself familiar with the basic working of OBS.
Look here:
and here: