Question / Help How to connect gopro hero 8 to obs

JimboG

Hey,

So I came across this solution last week using MonaServer. Maybe I can help here.

I can confirm that not only can I wirelessly stream my GoPro Hero 8 Back to MonaServer, which is then captured on my OBS scene, I can also create a second feed with a 2nd GoPro Hero 8 Black and have that in a separate scene in OBS.

Basically I wanted to have two camera angles for my livestream as it is more interesting to occasionally switch views for the audience. So I did some experimentation and after about 30 minutes had something working great.

Here's how you do it:

1.) Unpack two separate copies of MonaServer, keep one as default called "Camera One - 1395" and rename the second folder "Camera Two - 1396"
2.) Go into the Camera two folder and edit the default ports used for RTMP from 1395 to 1396 (which will be the next free port on your machine)
3.) Launch the GoPro app on your phone, connect to Live as normal, but make sure you stipulate rtmp://yourmachineip/live:1395 (append :1395 to the end)
4.) When the stream is running, see it in MonaServer as a connected client and then connect to it in OBS as a VLC Source, using the exact same URL with :1395 appended to the end.
5.) Force Quit the GoPro app on your phone, the stream will continue from the camera - it doesn't care about your phone.
6.) Re-launch the GoPro app on your phone and repeat step 3 but use :1396 instead of :1395
7.) Repeat step 4 in the same fashion.
8.) Force Quit the GoPro app on your phone.

Et voila!

Two GoPro Hero 8 Black cameras connected using 2 x MonaServer(s) listening on two separate ports connected over Wi-Fi independently of your phone app.

As for the comments about the 3000ms delay, this isn't a problem for me as I need to sync audio from another source for my live streams anyway.

PS: If anyone struggles with the changes needed to the MonaServer config file let me know and I'll share the changes I made, but it was pretty simple, just look for RTMP and 1395.

Good luck!

Kind regards,

James

Last edited:
I am baffled that one cannot just plug and play a GoPro as a "webcam" - any ideas? I am investigating OBS as a possibilty of running a live stream by having dual displays and inputting the GoPro into one display and using OBS on the other as a mixer to select that screen "record from screen" - audio obviously dealt with separately. Anyone know if this could or DOES work??
GoPro released a beta webcam feature, but it is extremely buggy. Depending on your OS you may get it to work. But many people still can not make it work. Just look at their forums!

7.) Repeat step 4 in the same fashion.
8.) Force Quit the GoPro app on your phone.
James

What happens when you shut everything down and come back the next day? Do you have to go through your whole procedure again, or do the settings stick on the GoPro?

JimboG

What happens when you shut everything down and come back the next day? Do you have to go through your whole procedure again, or do the settings stick on the GoPro?
You’ll need to go through the entire procedure again.

The reason-being that the GoPro camera is being configured by the App, so all settings are reset at the end of the “Live” session.

That said, it takes less than three minutes to set up, the MonaServer and OBS settings are retained in the scene setup.

I hope this helps.

JimboG

Just following up on this one, not sure if anyone had a chance to try it out. I've now had this working with three GoPros over normal AC 5Ghz Wi-Fi.

Here's the changes you need to make to the MonaServer.ini file when you copy the (MonaServer) directory:

Section [SRT]
port=9710 (change to 9711 or 9712)
publicPort=9710 (change to 9711 or 9712)

Section [RTMP]
port=1935 (change to 1936 or 1937)
publicPort=1935 (change to 1936 or 1937)

Section [RTMFP]
port=1935 (change to 1936 or 1937)
publicPort=1935 (change to 1936 or 1937)

Once done, just run the MonaServer.exe from each of the two (or three directories) and a bind will be created against a different port for each MonaServer instance running. Then simply create your OBS scene with VLC connections to the given instance such as:

rtmp://192.168.1.103:1936 (where the IP address is your PC running MonaServer)

I was able to record one hour of FHD video with SDPIF audio provided separately (DJ mix) with three cameras switching scenes every 30 seconds. The recording was perfect, no dropouts or performance issues.

Works well enough for me, so I'll use this method for my live streams no problem.

Cheers, James.