Question / Help HD60s crackling/dropping audio in OBS? (Mac using OBS Link)

Rockettman

Update: I contacted Elgato, they responded with questions, I answered those questions, they never responded back. So here's what I did. I started using Game Capture instead, the software was not detecting my microphone.

Today, this morning, I went ahead and purchased a Avermedia 2 Plus. I plugged it in, opened Streamlabs OBS, put source as video capture device for avermedia (yes it detected it even on the box it says windows only but that's not true). I put source for audio input source using IshowU Audio capture, it detected the Avermedia 2 Plus. Guess what? No issues at all. No audio drops, nothing. It worked seamlessly. Moral of the story: DO NOT PURCHASE AN ELGATO FOR MAC. I've owned two Elgato products one had video lag, this one: the same audio issues that no one can solve. Avermedia: no issues and I'm sure it would be the same for other capture devices.

ISOTaco

Update: I contacted Elgato, they responded with questions, I answered those questions, they never responded back. So here's what I did. I started using Game Capture instead, the software was not detecting my microphone.

Today, this morning, I went ahead and purchased a Avermedia 2 Plus. I plugged it in, opened Streamlabs OBS, put source as video capture device for avermedia (yes it detected it even on the box it says windows only but that's not true). I put source for audio input source using IshowU Audio capture, it detected the Avermedia 2 Plus. Guess what? No issues at all. No audio drops, nothing. It worked seamlessly. Moral of the story: DO NOT PURCHASE AN ELGATO FOR MAC. I've owned two Elgato products one had video lag, this one: the same audio issues that no one can solve. Avermedia: no issues and I'm sure it would be the same for other capture devices.

Same issues as all of you guys. El Gato HD60S, iMac, OBS Studio, audio dropping.

Are you saying to buy the Avermedia device instead of the el gato? It works better on Mac?

Rockettman

Same issues as all of you guys. El Gato HD60S, iMac, OBS Studio, audio dropping.

Are you saying to buy the Avermedia device instead of the el gato? It works better on Mac?

Yes, its very simple for streamlabs obs on mac. I made two videos demonstrating the issue with Elgato and how Avermedia doesn't have this issue. I sent these videos to Elgato support so they can fix OBS Link. You can download it here. https://wetransfer.com/downloads/33...9c034ae9afa58405f6d87b9720200801020154/1c1a06

fornatron

I have the answer for this problem!

The Elgato HD60s is NOT compatible with Mac and OBS. You can use it with their recording software with no audio issues, but for live streaming its no good. You need to upgrade to the HD60S+ so you get the native UVC support. I troubleshooted with Elgato for over a month and got nowhere (update your OS. Update OBS, try a new user etc etc). As SOON as I started using the HD60s+ the issue was gone and everything just ...works! And I tried everything with my HD60S a SS USB C cable (my mac has 4 Thunderbolt ports) and nothing.

Sell your HD60S and get an HD60S+ or anything with UVC support. I made a whole video explaining it here

earthworm_gym

Member no. 454038 here with the EXACT same problem!

I like some of the solutions mentioned above as it seems like there's nothing to fix audio issues. (Unless OBS link runs update...which they might...but doubtful).

Questions though- since I use Elgato's chat link cable to capture the game chat, would this cable work with the Avermedia 2 device? If not, how do I go about capturing game chat with a different capture card? (I'm assuming it would work fine with Elgato HD60S+ ...)

I may end up just biting the bullet and buying a windows PC. Can use it for other things too. Let me know if there's some reasonably prices ones for just running stream.

LIAMR0Y

I have the exact same problem. Macbook Pro 2019 and an Elgato HD60S. The audio cuts out for me whenever I'm trying to use OBS, but it seems to work fine when I run it with GameCapture HD. Leads me to believe its also an issue with OBS Link. How do we submit a bug report to OBS Link?

Amos7403

I have been having the same problem. Came here to find a solution. Unfortunately it seems that the issue is with OBS Link. However, I think I have a possible cheap workaround. I have not tried this, but please bare with me for a sec. Most modern Mac's and some MacBooks have a duel use headphone jack, otherwise known as a switch jack. This means it accepts both audio outputs and audio inputs. All you need to do is go into your sound setting and change the audio to an input rather than an output. Traditionally this would be used for a microphone or maybe an instrument, but why not use it to for your game audio? Simply get a 3.5mm audio cord with two male ends. This only costs around $10-$15. Plug one end into your PC audio out/Console (Nintendo Switch for example)/TV/Monitor or where ever you can get the game audio from and then plug the other end into your Mac. Ensure you have the audio input settings changed in the Mac's sound setting. Then, in OBS you should be able to select this audio input from the global audio setting. It may read as audio line in/microphone/ whatever, but it should still be selectable. This, in theory, should be a viable workaround to get audio without going through OBS Link (you'll probably have to disable/change/remove OBS Link audio too) and still be able to use OBS Link for the video, thus, allowing you to use OBS on your Mac with the Elgato HD60 S.

I will be trying out this solution tomorrow after I buy one of these cables from BestBuy. I'll post afterwards with my results. Fingers crossed.

thatsallfred

I have been having the same problem. Came here to find a solution. Unfortunately it seems that the issue is with OBS Link. However, I think I have a possible cheap workaround. I have not tried this, but please bare with me for a sec. Most modern Mac's and some MacBooks have a duel use headphone jack, otherwise known as a switch jack. This means it accepts both audio outputs and audio inputs. All you need to do is go into your sound setting and change the audio to an input rather than an output. Traditionally this would be used for a microphone or maybe an instrument, but why not use it to for your game audio? Simply get a 3.5mm audio cord with two male ends. This only costs around $10-$15. Plug one end into your PC audio out/Console (Nintendo Switch for example)/TV/Monitor or where ever you can get the game audio from and then plug the other end into your Mac. Ensure you have the audio input settings changed in the Mac's sound setting. Then, in OBS you should be able to select this audio input from the global audio setting. It may read as audio line in/microphone/ whatever, but it should still be selectable. This, in theory, should be a viable workaround to get audio without going through OBS Link (you'll probably have to disable/change/remove OBS Link audio too) and still be able to use OBS Link for the video, thus, allowing you to use OBS on your Mac with the Elgato HD60 S.

I will be trying out this solution tomorrow after I buy one of these cables from BestBuy. I'll post afterwards with my results. Fingers crossed.

Have you tried it? Also running into the same problem, unfortunately.

Amos7403

Hey, sorry for the late reply. Yes, I did try this solution. However, it did not work. Now I'm off trying other solutions. I've contacted Elgato but they have not gotten back to me as of yet.

Douglascoffee

Hi,
I have been following this thread for a couple weeks trying to find a solution to this issue. I found a solution that worked for me and I just wanted to share my experience in hopes to help others.

I had been trying to stream with an elgato HD60s with 2019 macbook pro (intel i9) and my game sound was constantly cutting out. Very frustrating indeed.

I tried a number of different rendering/streaming softwares and the only one that seemed to work was the elgato capture HD, which i didnt want to use long term. This led me to believe it was a problem with the NDI link required for streamlabs/obs (which to my understanding is relatively new so it very well may be buggy). Monitoring my cpu i was at 40-50% and my macbook was HOT.

I think it may be a problem not only with the NDI link but the macbook choking CPU in order to not overheat.

So i bought a PC, nothing fancy - but a 300$US Lenovo with intel i7 16g ram. Now my stream works perfectly and even looks better even though the processor is less. My first stream with the PC my cpu was running anywhere from 80-90% which is high, I know... but after the 4.5 hour session the computer was barely warm.
I really was apprehensive about buying a new machine especially since i have been a mac user for over a decade.

I really suggest biting the bullet and getting a PC, it doesnt have to be expensive just enough to meet streaming requirements. Seems like every mac user i have followed to fix this issue has a bunch of work-arounds but thats exactly what they are...work-arounds. The software compatibility for Mac OS is just not where it needs to be yet for streamers and who knows when it will be.
Hi, by any chance do you have link to this pc? As everyone else in this thread I’m having the same issue and elgato doesn’t seem to provide a solution, so I’m biting the bullet and getting a pc, thanks in advance

Hey,

I recently got the HD60s to take my gameplay from my gaming pc to my imac which i am using as the streaming pc. Everything works fine except the audio has the same issues you have described above, its only the game audio, the video never stutters and my microphone audio comes through fine. I am also using OBS Link and was wondering if anyone had had anymore success fixing this isuue? I was starting to think that my HD60s was broken until I found this thread.

Did you ever get this fixed?

b0ses

For anyone who stumbles on this, every time I've run into this issue, it's due to running 2 camlinks and the eglato capture card on the same USB hub.

Issue: Bandwidth issues, a single USB hub can't really handle all that - https://help.elgato.com/hc/en-us/ar...-on-one-Computer-Two-USB-3-0-Root-Hubs-Needed

Solution: If you have multiple USB hubs, share the load. Otherwise, just get a PCI express hub and put the capture card (or one of the camlinks) on that: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=USB+C+PC...b+c+pcie+card,electronics,80&ref=nb_sb_noss_1