Grinding OBS on MacBook Big Sur

Tayzlor

Hi everyone,

i am a broken man.

i valiantly attempted to set up an obs system this week but it grinds to being unusable frame rates either recording or streaming on what I thought was a pretty good recent MacBook with 2016 MacBook Pro:
2.9 quad core i7
16 GB 2133 ddr3 ram
Radeon pro 460 4 GB w intel HD GRAPHICS 530 1536 MB
2 TB flash hard drive (half full)

but when I even put on a video stream it grinds down to utterly unusable. Any ideas why I shouldn’t end everything and become a farmer and a simple life? Why is everything so hard ?

Here is an embarrassing video of how it starts relatively fine for a second and then goes glacier :

Attachments

• 2020-12-07 17-07-04.txt
    18.4 KB · Views: 66

Tayzlor

Erm- while I have your good grace, can you explain why I can no longer get any video on my editor display but I get one just fine if I right click and select “create output projector” ?
I tried to include a screenshot but it says incredibly - the file size is too large and iphone doesn’t give me any option in photos to reduce the file size hopefully you get what I’m saying. I’m on a mac.

nottooloud

Not quite clear what you're seeing. Are you in Studio mode, or direct to Program? I'm not finding anything that says “create output projector”.

Tayzlor

So the editor display is black and I cannot see a preview without right clicking and choosing a popping out window by selecting “create output projector) very strange!

nottooloud

I still can't even figure out what you're right clicking on. I'm not finding anything that says “create output projector”.

Have you only got one image window? Over on the right at the bottom, click on Studio Mode.

Tayzlor

Very peculiar. It just updated the software and now it appears. It must have been a bug and fixed today by update? Very grateful to your pertinent and good will reply. This is where it was FYI on mac: Ugh I can’t seem to put screenshots in here

justinjwood

You're using Streamlabs OBS, not OBS Studio. Check with their support team with any further issues. Or install OBS Studio. It's probably the better option with a Mac anyway.

*edit* Oh, you replied. there was a fix. nice. fingers crossed it all works for you

Tayzlor

I’m trying both. But I think it’s bc I only have a laptop w 16 gb ram and a 4 gb video card for the framerate lag?

nottooloud

Your system is fine.

Open the stats window in OBS and see what it tells you. Dropped frames and so forth.
That log says you're doing 720p, which is low res, 60 fps, which is faster than you need unless you're gaming, at 1kbps, which is way too low, even for 720p 30fps, and you're using Medium encoding, which is harder on your GPU than it needs to be. Is that what your settings are?

Tayzlor

Hi there. Thanks for replying

I’ve changed it to 1080p, 30fps,

under streaming it says 5000 Kbps, software x264 encoder (only option) and right now my encoder preset is set to fast.

recording is indistinguishable quality, in mic using software encoder.

Tayzlor

Mmmmmm it still runs below 30 FPS.... might be a hardware issue buttttt I’m also having this screen preview problem; the editor display goes blank and I have to right click and choose “create output projector” just to see what’s being transmitted. Since I can’t attach photos or video here (filesize too big) I have uploaded a video, thanks in advance for this problem solving conundrum?!