Question / Help Getting Started...

Hi EBrito,

Thank for your your help with the Hot keys.

They worked!

But, I still get a dark screen with no video and no sound except for a loud buzzing.

I visited - https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/laptop-black-screen-when-capturing-read-here-first.5965/ - but that seems to suggest you need a laptop with an nVidia card, is that correct? What if your laptop does not have an nVidia card?

How then can I then capture video and sound?

Thank you again for all your kind help.

EBrito

Yes, that guide describes the situation with laptops and NVidia cards.
If your laptod has an AMD gpu meybe AMD Control Panel (I think it´s named Catalyst Control Panel) has similar settings to force OBS run on that GPU instead of integrated GPU.

If nat, and you get black screen, use window / monitor capture with "compatibility mode" enabled to force capture, as described at the end of that guide.

Hi EBrito, I'm a neophyte and not an expert with recording software. Can you pls share exactly how I reach window / monitor capture on my laptop?

Then, once in, where might I locate "compatibility mode"?

I was reading that guide but I'm getting a little lost along the way.

Thank you for you understanding and help.

Can you pls share which page(s) in that linked PDF I can find window / monitor capture on my laptop?

I did a search/find and it do not display anything. I looked on pages 78-82 and it displayed nothing about that.

Thanks.

RYAM77

No it is NOT.
The recommended file format is flv, because it can survive a non-graceful shutdown of the recording process without losing the ENTIRE recording.

Nope.
My mistake, MP4 is widely accepted by video editing software and supports multiple audio tracks unlike FLV. That is why I would think MP4 is recommended. Now I see that FLV can survive a shutdown without the file being lost.

Harold

If you need multiple audio tracks, we recommend MKV for that.

MP4 is strongly not recommended for direct recording.

Hi Harold, When are multiple audio tracks most used? MP4 is compressed video like MP3 is compressed audio, correct?

I've listened to the same music as an un-compressed .wav (sound) file and then as a .mp3 (compressed audio) and my ears (excellent hearing) can't detect the difference. .mp3 files are much smaller so easier for mobility on a flash drive and saves space for backups on an external hard drive. I imagine .MP4 is much smaller than MKV but do you lose any viewing quality?

Thanks so much.

Harold

MP4 is compressed video like MP3 is compressed audio, correct?
Incorrect.
MP4 is a container format with defined permitted audio and video codecs. MP3 is a defined audio format.

I imagine .MP4 is much smaller than MKV
You're imagining things. Badly. This is incorrect. MKV is a different container format that, like flv, does NOT kill the entire file when your recording doesn't finalize properly.

File size is not dictated by the container format. It's dictated by the channels' (video and audio) codecs and settings.

Hi RYAM77, EBrito et al.,

I very much appreciate your continuing help in my journey to learn to record and save screen recordings with OBS.

I read every page of the 137 page Help Guide here…
https://obsproject.com/forum/resour...ware-studio-multiplatform-help-guide-pdf.365/

I did not find anything in that help guide which instructs me how to
Access window/monitor capture to set it to "compatibility mode" option enabled to force a capture on my laptop.

I tried to watch each of those videos linked here … http://goo.gl/bLzO5T or http://goo.gl/dGcPZ3 ... but when I play them they are microscopically tiny. Even when I enlarge the screen by pressing Ctrl +
they are only slightly visible with a magnifying glass

Is there a way to convert those videos into larger viewing?

I’m stuck with my recordings just displaying a black screen and a loud buzz so I’d very much appreciate your help.

Is it possible to post a step-by-step instruction on how to find window/monitor capture on any laptop (inclduign those which do not have nVideo) and where at that stage to locate compatibility mode" option to enable it?

It appears your help would also help another newbie - buntershu who posted on this thread.

Thank you so much.

EBrito

Window Capture:

Add window capture as source.
In properties window check Multi-Adapter Compatibility

upload_2017-4-19_20-19-44.png

Display Capture:
No option yo check

Game Capture:

Add game capture source and check Multi-Adapter Compatibility
upload_2017-4-19_20-22-48.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-4-19_20-22-9.png
    upload_2017-4-19_20-22-9.png
    25.7 KB · Views: 9

andy bull

Start recording: click Alt and s letter -both together- (just s, do not capitalize). Then ALT + S will appear as the Hotkey created
Stop recording: click Control and letter s -together- . Then CTRL + S will be what you see in that field.

EDIT: You can´t set a hotkey to pause recording. That option is not available

can you tell me if there is any way to pause a recording at all without a hot key?

Hi EBrito,

Thanks for sharing those screenshots.

Can you please first share how I reach Window Capture?

In my OBS, I see tabs for File – Edit – Profile – Scene Collection – Tools – Help.

I looked in each of those tabs’ drop-down menus but I don’t see Window Capture nor Properties, nor Game Capture.

Ex. Under the Edit tab I see Transform, Order, Preview Scaling.

There was some mention re: a Nvidia panel and card. If you don;t have an Nvida card on your laptop I was then referred to beginner videos but all of them are tiny and I can't seem to be enlarge them from their compression so I can't see anything in them.

Thanks so much for all your help!

I'm not at the PC I have OBS installed on.

Could you pls share where should I find "sources section"?

Ex. Under which tab? I didn't see it under Edit.

Thank you.