Question / Help Getting Started...

EBrito

upload_2017-4-24_21-8-42.png

Without access to OBS on this PC, will I see that screen when I first open OBS?

Or will I need to take steps to reach that?

Thanks for all your help and patience.

Hi EBrito,

Closer!

I can now hear my voice in the recoding but all I see is just the OBS black screen.

Just as an experiment, I thought I would record a screen recording of my cursor pointing to many of the icons on my Windows 7 screen.

This is the process I took.

I opened OBS (now with Game Capture and Window Capture in the Sources window).

Thank you very much!!

I click Alt + S (which I saved in OBS Settings to Start Recording) and I see the numbers increasing in the lower right, time counter.

I then close that screen (so I can move the cursor around the whole screen and point the cursor to various icons and then open the OBS screen again and click Alt + S (set to Stop Recording in OBS Settings) and then choose Exit.

I visit the Videos folder on my hard drive and find the recorded .mp4 file.

I opened it in VLC Media Player and click play and all I can see is a black screen with my voice as the audio but I don’t see any of the Windows 7 icons I had pointed the cursor to when recording.

Can you possibly detect where I’m going wrong?

Thanks so much for all your kind help!

Suslik V

@jeff haskell , first, OBS Studio is not screen recorder. Of course, you can build the scene to capture your Desktop but you need 'Desktop Capture' 'Display Capture' source.

Earlier, you mentioned that you have difficulties to navigate the guide - there is index table at the end of the guide. Should I add the Getting started section to the index? What do you think?
How do you start reading: from the contents table, from the index table or from the begin of the guide? Are you novice to recording, digital multimedia and to PC?

Edit: @Harold 's comment below.

Last edited:
I thought OBS was a screen recorder. A blogger/reviewer listed OBS as one of the best screen recorders. A person will be talking o me on the phone instructing me how to do tasks on the laptop. Rather than taking written notes, I wanted to record all the steps we will be taking so I can watch that recording offline/at another time. I've tried Bandicam, CamStudio without success. It was my understanding OBS had no time limit on recording, unlike some screen recorders. Can you pls. recommend a good screen recorder? I am a novice. Thank you for your help.

Suslik V

Thank you, @Harold .

@jeff haskell what kind of task you want to perform? What is your main target? You want to record your gameplay or record some other actions (camera action, drawing, singing, make software tutorials)?

A friend is going to walk me though on the phone how to publish a book on Amazon. I want to video record the steps I take as viewed on the laptop so I can resort to that recorded video when needed. This is not for sale but personal use. What is OBS designed to do if not screen recording - examples would be helpful about how you and others have used OBS. Thank you for your help.

Suslik V

'Display Capture' source is your choice. If you still have difficulties to record your desktop with OBS Studio then post your log file from this recording attempt.

Suslik....I'm not at the PC with OBS on it right now but are you suggesting that OBS will record movements on screen (ex. showing how one opens a Windows icon and then how to perform certain tasks in that program) as I'm trying to record these steps? Following EBRITO's suggestions,I added Game Capture and Window Capture in the Sources window. In addition to that, is there a Display Capture option I can now add in the Source window which will allow me to then video capture tasks displayed on screen?

Also, how do I "capture" or create/save my log file from my recording attempt?

Thank you for your help.

EBrito

@jeff haskell :
upload_2017-4-27_20-46-44.png

Click 1 to add DISPLAY CAPTURE as Source
Then:
upload_2017-4-27_20-47-56.png

You create a new one (if you have no one created before) or you can select one previously created.
(In my case, I do not need a new one. If a need a Display capture in that scene I select which Display -Monitor- I want to capture))

ALL activity made in that display is recorded.

Last edited:
Hi EBRITO,

I added the option Display Capture under Sources to the other 2 already listed namely Window Capture and a Game capture. All3 are now listed.

I then tried to record what would be on screen – my Windows icons.

This is the process I took.

I first highlighted the Display Capture option under Sources and then pressed Alt + to Start recording. But, the time meter on the lower bottom did not move (even though I have the Settings set to start Recording by pressing Alt + S).

So, I clicked on the Start Recording button and then clicked the – in the upper right of the box to close the OBS screen so that it would not appear in the video recording and only the mouse cursor moving from one Windows icon to another would be in the video recording. I then pressed Alt + S (also said in the settings to stop the recording) but all it did was bring up all my program listings in Windows 7 on the left part of the screen.

So, I opened up the viewing screen in OBS and went down to the stop recording button and press that to stop the recording.

I then visited my videos folder to click on the .MP4 file OBS had created but it opens to a green screen and then a few seconds later displays all my windows icons and then returns to a green screen but it never displays my mouse cursor going from one Windows icon to another as I was performing.

I’m sure if you were sitting in a chair next to me could easily detach exactly where I should and should not be doing something but never having used this program before I’m unsure of exactly where I’m going wrong in this step-by-step process.

If you could please share where you think I’m deviating from the correct steps as I’ve tried to detail them for you, I would very much appreciate your continued, kind, generous help.

Thank you so very much for all your patience and understanding.

I've already spent an inordinate amount of time for a task that should be straight forward.

I've read the 232+ guide, etc.

I have all the screens in the source set as instructed. I click Start Recording and close the window by clicking the - in the upper right and then move my mouse cursor from one screen icon to the next and then click OBS window open by clicking the square box next to the - and then click the Stop recording button.

But, when I play that mp4 file is just displays the icons and no movement with a green screen pooping in and out.

This needs brainstorming I won't find in a guide.

Everyone one of those tiny videos play so tiny they can not be discerned in VLC Media Player and Windows Media Player on my PC. They are not helpful if they can't be seen and pressing Ctrl + does not enlarge those videos appearing tiny on my screen.