Question / Help Get rid of rumble?

PixelKing41

Hey, simple request, how can I decrease the amount of rumble I pick up when I touch my desk? If I move slightly or if I'm typing, it is very loud. I don't think a noise gate would work if I'm using it right so is there any filters that I can add to help me? Thanks!

FerretBomb

There really aren't any filters to do that. Normally you'd want to get your mic closer to your mouth, so your voice is louder, then turn the level of the mic down to exclude the further (and therefore quieter) audio of the typing and handling noise.

If you're using a condenser mic, be aware that they're meant for use at ranges under 12 inches from your mouth, and are designed to pick up EVERYTHING... meant for use in a recording booth, not in a noisy environment with typing and the like. Definitely not meant to be sitting on your desk, as it kind of sounds like may be the case if you're getting that much handling/transmission noise.

PixelKing41

Weird... I use a Blue Snowball mic. Is that a condenser? I've never really had issues with it before OBS though. I've had it for about a year and just started OBS.

FerretBomb

Weird... I use a Blue Snowball mic. Is that a condenser? I've never really had issues with it before OBS though. I've had it for about a year and just started OBS.
It is, yes. An inexpensive one. If it's just sitting on your desk (or on the little stand they ship with) that's going to be a problem. Grab a cheap mic arm for $20 off Amazon... it'll really help, just getting it off the desk and closer to your face-holes. It MAY still have some transmission noise, you can try getting a shockmount for the Snowball (some companies make them) but it'll be a bit more than twenty bucks (even if they're mostly just a cheap cage-framework and some rubber bands).

OBS does not perform any audio filtering on incoming audio sources, as things like Discord and Skype do. The audio you hear from OBS is what your mic is actually picking up, as OBS is meant to be a production tool... cutting out aspects of the performance generally is avoided, and relies on the user to handle their stuff, whereas VoIP generally only cares about making the speech understandable, and not capturing every element of a performance.