GamePad Viewer - The Official Controller Display & Tester

Free GamePad Viewer - The Official Controller Display & Tester v2.0-beta

yorkcommatyler

Instead of just body, use "html, body" without quotes. I believe I fixed this already in the CSS though, but I'll double check later. The CLR browser is most likely caching the webpage and loading an older version of the CSS.

That worked beautifully! Thanks for the attention, and for an awesome free little tool.

mrmcpowned

That worked beautifully! Thanks for the attention, and for an awesome free little tool.
No probs. I'm hoping to get vectors rolled out at some point so the controllers can be resized without pixelation. Also making come skins for a gameboy advanced so it can work as an interactive overlay of sorts.

HG Braches

Is there a way to get this working for controllers that are connected to consoles? Only method I can think of would be to splice a cable and split the signal. One to the PC, and one to the console.

Jack0r

The Helping Squad
Yup, that would be the way to do it. I have seen it used by some speedrunners. But you will have to do the split manually I guess. Google might have examples though.

eN-t

Is there a way to get this working for controllers that are connected to consoles? Only method I can think of would be to splice a cable and split the signal. One to the PC, and one to the console.
As for Nintendo consoles (NES, SNES, N64, GameCube [and GC controller on Wii]) the controller signal goes through one single wire. However, the connection is bidirectional - the console sends data to the controller (e.g. request or rumble) and the controller sends data back to the console (e.g. pressed buttons, type of controller, ...).
So simply splitting the wire would work as long as you have a way to read the signal without modifying it - that can be done with Arduino boards and such. Using GC to USB adapters and such will NOT work, simply because then you technically have two "consoles" trying to "talk" to one controller at the same time, which simply results in very messy data (although it partially does work, I tried it myself).

To answer your question: for Nintendo controllers, check out "NintendoSpy". They have software, firmware and tutorials for Arduino boards. If you're interested, I started building such adapters myself as I know how to do it (while others often don't know how to solder, how to find the right wires, etc.).

FlyntNSteel

This is the best Xinput View I've ever used!
I only wish I could download it... I think it would be even more amazing if I could have an EXE file of this :D

RubenDB

Love your work on this Mr McPowned, I hope the project isn't dead. I'm very excited about the Arcade Stick layout. Would you consider to do a different buttons layout?

4, 6 and 8 buttons layout, like the arcade cabinets or fightsticks. I would love to see something like this:

xajgp2p.gif

The stick and the buttons, nothing more, then the streamers can put it above an image of an arcade control panel. That would be awesome.

I will totally donate if this will happen!

Thank you, you're awesome.

(Sorry for my english)

Hi there... I am very interested in this idea ... but I am having trouble getting it working. ....

1) The app seams to work fine on my Logitech GamePad controller. It is a F710... works fine...

2) I also own a Madcatz TE Ps3 Arcade Stick. I have tried it in firefox, IE, Chrome and the CLRbrowser in OBS itself. The problem is that it seams to recognize the device, but none of the buttons trigger. Like when I press the buttons the gamepad image pops up but none of the buttons work.

The buttons and everything works fine here : http://html5gamepad.com/

3) Also if I can get it working is there a way to change the images?

Is this your app?
http://youtu.be/CfWm6DyGGmw?t=15

Also there was talk of a app called "xinput viewer" but all the links to it are broken.. dose anyone have that I can try?

mrmcpowned

ALAS! I AM NOT DEAD! (only taking some time to sort life out)

Ok, so, updates: I've been pretty much focusing on school for the past 6 months and whatnot, and somewhat enjoying my summertime
I've also finished an updated XBox controller layout (based on the XBox One's controller) and currently working on a Gameboy Advanced skin. You can see them below:

F53jXAn.png

TNzOtK4.png

Now, Q&A Time:
Please add support for Generic USB Joystick (Vendor: 0079 Product: 0006) PS2 USB controller.

http://html5gamepad.com/ has no issues detecting inputs, but http://mrmcpowned.com/gamepad/ says There are currently no gamepads connected. Press any button to enable... in all browsers.

I'll need to look into fixing up the tester and gamepad JS that I've got modified for this project. The JS on HTML5 Gamepad's site is using AngularJS (an HTML/javascript library) where as mine is just barebones javascript utilizing the gamepad API. If anything I might look into using Angular instead of the current solution, but I'll have to look into it.

I would donate to get you to put out this update :D

Thanks for the kind words :D I should be able to get the skins up in a week or so.

This is the best Xinput View I've ever used!
I only wish I could download it... I think it would be even more amazing if I could have an EXE file of this :D

I might look into just packaging the whole thing as a zip file so all you have to do is open up the page in a browser. Wrapping the app in an exe seems counter productive since you'd have to chroma-key out the background instead of just having it transparent, like how you currently can!

Love your work on this Mr McPowned, I hope the project isn't dead. I'm very excited about the Arcade Stick layout. Would you consider to do a different buttons layout?

4, 6 and 8 buttons layout, like the arcade cabinets or fightsticks. I would love to see something like this:

xajgp2p.gif

The stick and the buttons, nothing more, then the streamers can put it above an image of an arcade control panel. That would be awesome.

I will totally donate if this will happen!

Thank you, you're awesome.

(Sorry for my english)

Hi! Thanks for the kind words :D As for the fightstick setup, I've been thinking how to do this with a minimal amount of jaavscript being used. Basically, I set up this whole app as a sort of testament to what can be done with CSS, Images, and a minimal amount of javascript (minues the main JS used to read and write the gamepad inputs). The fightstick is where things get tricky with the way the dpad is currently set up on controller and how the knob works on a fightstick, and trign to interpret corner movements visually, like whenever the knob on the image above moves to the top right and top left. I haven't abandoned the idea, simply trying to find a way to do it in the best way possible :)

Hi there... I am very interested in this idea ... but I am having trouble getting it working. ....

1) The app seams to work fine on my Logitech GamePad controller. It is a F710... works fine...

2) I also own a Madcatz TE Ps3 Arcade Stick. I have tried it in firefox, IE, Chrome and the CLRbrowser in OBS itself. The problem is that it seams to recognize the device, but none of the buttons trigger. Like when I press the buttons the gamepad image pops up but none of the buttons work.

The buttons and everything works fine here : http://html5gamepad.com/

3) Also if I can get it working is there a way to change the images?

Is this your app?
http://youtu.be/CfWm6DyGGmw?t=15

Also there was talk of a app called "xinput viewer" but all the links to it are broken.. dose anyone have that I can try?

Again, the answer here is similar to the first reply I made: I gotta update the thing. I'm also unsure as to what you mean by "change the images". Could you please elaborate? Also, the display used in that video isn't from my app, sorry :(

I have the same issue. This was working great until I got a Blue Yeti and now it can't catch inputs anymore

So basically the issue with this is with the gamepad API itself. For some reason or another, chrome picks up the Yeti as a gamepad sometimes and that ends up screwing the whole thing up. I, too, have a Yeti and it's a pain in the ass to try and solve. I've been trying to see if I can get the code to ignore the Yeti, since it's given a name but haven't had any luck so far. I've actually sent in a bug report to the chrome team, but they haven't done anything about it. Maybe if more people sent them bug reports on this very issue they might look into it, but even then I'm not sure.

mrmcpowned

mrmcpowned updated Gamepad Display with a new update entry:

The I'm-sorry-I-haven't-touched-this-thing-in-forever Update

To start off, sorry there hasn't been any updates in a while. School, life, stuff. Also, I'm a bit of a believer in the honor system. If you'd like to donate to me for how much of a help this tool I've made has been to you, I believe it's up to you to decide how much you think this app is worth. And now, onto the updates
  • Hello darkness my old friend, I've come to speak with you again...
  • Finally updated the Xbox...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Muso So

I tried using it but it doesnt work it keeps saying
''There are currently no gamepads connected. Press any button to enable...'' Yes, I have tried pressing any button.
I use a PS3 controller with DS3 tool

mrmcpowned

I tried using it but it doesnt work it keeps saying
''There are currently no gamepads connected. Press any button to enable...'' Yes, I have tried pressing any button.
I use a PS3 controller with DS3 tool
Well, was this in firefox or chrome (CLR Browser is basically chrome)? Also, do you have a blue Yeti mic? If you have a blue Yeti, for some reason chrome picks it up as a gamepad sometimes when you try and connect the controller. Also, you should mainly try pressing X, Square, O and Triangle to try and get the page to recognize the gamepad is connected and try refreshing the page if it doesn't do anything the first go. The Gamepad API is still pretty wonky and hasn't been finalized. Other than any of that, I'm unsure why it wouldn't work, considering DS3 tool is just an Xinput wrapper, meaning your system should be picking it up as a normal Xbox controller. I believe other people have gotten it to work with DS3 tool without any hassle as well. If I had a PS3 controller I'd try to debug it myself, but sadly I don't.

mrmcpowned

Will you add the Xbox 360 skin again?
I probably will later today. Do note that I don't have a vector version of the 360 skin, since I made it in Photoshop a long time ago. I also can't promise that I'll make a vector version of it, but I'll see I can, considering making these things takes some time.

mrmcpowned

mrmcpowned updated Gamepad Display with a new update entry:

The Custom Skins Update

Do you think my skins suck?
Do you think I take my sweet ass time with updates? (more of a fact than an opinion...)
Are you a CSS wizard?
Then fear not, for custom CSS skinning has finally arrived! You can learn more about how to create your own CSS skins with an example file I've uploaded to GitHub's gist. To use a custom css files, simply add &css=[url to CSS file] to the end of the URL (Use ? instead of & if...

Read the rest of this update entry...