Frozen screen in recording, but works in preview.

willaguirre04

Disclaimer: I've already tried the fixes in the similar threads at this post, this post, and this post. They didn't work.

I'm on an ASUS Zephyrus with an NVIDIA 3060 and an i9. I've been trying to record Minecraft Java (Lunar Client), but my recordings won't work.

Initially, I tried using Game Capture with capturing a specific window, but the preview didn't show anything. Same goes for the capture fullscreen application and capture foreground window. Black screen preview, black screen recording. I tried using monitor capture, and it only recorded the desktop background. However, when I tried Window Capture, it recorded the preview, which is more than the others did. However, the recording still froze a single frame. Here's the log file for the Window Capture.

Not sure what to do about this.

willaguirre04

Step 1 is to update OBS back to current. Any and all guides that recommend downgrading to 24.0.3 have been giving bad advice for almost 2 years as of this post.
Step 2 is to follow https://obsproject.com/wiki/Minecraft-Not-Working-With-Game-Capture
I tried the current version, no luck. Every guide I read regarding Lunar Client claimed that downgrading solved their problems. Regardless, I'll try it again. I already tried your step 2, and the fix didn't work.

willaguirre04

Provide a screenshot of windows' graphics settings showing your zulu platform for lunar
1643574659437.png

Also, here's the log file for the newer version of OBS.

Harold

It NEEDS to be set to high performance for obs to be able to capture it.
The crash problem you're encountering is something coming from either your power saving or your high performance graphics (or both) drivers being out of date.

Update your high performance graphics from nvidia
Update your power saving graphics from intel

Do not use device manager.

willaguirre04

It NEEDS to be set to high performance for obs to be able to capture it.
The crash problem you're encountering is something coming from either your power saving or your high performance graphics (or both) drivers being out of date.

Update your high performance graphics from nvidia
Update your power saving graphics from intel

Do not use device manager.

I've updated my graphics drivers, and good news! The recording worked! For about two seconds. Then the game crashed. I'm so close, I think if I can just figure out how to fix the crashing it'll be fine... any ideas?

willaguirre04

The game only crashes when OBS is opened. Also, the frames on minecraft drop from about 270 to 120 when I turned the graphics to high performance, idk how to fix that either.

willaguirre04

HOLD YOUR HORSES!! I fixed both problems!

Basically, OBS and Zulu (Lunar) (or I assume any game) need to be on the same mode, either performance or power saver. My frames were dropping on performance, and it crashed. I changed both OBS and Minecraft to power saver, and now it records and I still hit 300 frames.

For future reference, here's what I did that fixed it:

1. Update OBS to the latest version. I read something about Lunar Client's anticheat not working with the new versions, but it's not true.
2. Update the Nvidia drivers to the latest versions.
3. Go into settings, find Display, scroll down to Graphics Settings. Click on the "Browse" button, and follow the file path:
"C:\Users\[OWNER]\.lunarclient\jre\1.8\zulu16.30.15-ca-fx-jre16.0.1-win_x64\bin\javaw.exe".
4. Do the same with OBS.
5. Make sure OBS and Lunar are set to the same mode. For me, High Performance caused all sorts of problems, so I set them both to Power Saver.

Last edited:

spooderfri

Bruh I have literally the exact same laptop, exact same bug, but I already had both on high performance and it still doesn't work :(