[Frames Instantly Drop - Bitrate fluctuates from 0 to 3000kbps] Twitch works; Youtube does not

RP-Dizzle

Hello OBS community,

After a six month hiatus, I wanted to begin streaming on my YouTube (YT) channel again. However, a week ago ago, I encountered a stubborn issue that has stopped me dead in my tracks. The issue is that from the moment I begin the YT stream, my frames immediately drop due to the bitrate fluctuating between 0 kbps to ~3000 kbps. This fluctuating low bitrate persists throughout the entire duration of the stream. As a result, the vast majority of frames (85-95%) get dropped. OBS calls it "Dropped Frames (Network)" or "Dropped Frames due to insufficient bandwidth or connection stalls".

I do not understand why this is happening for the following reasons:
1. I am using IDENTICAL settings from when I last streamed to YT. FYI, I seldom had any dropped frames in my past YT streams
2. I have not changed ISP from when I last streamed
3. My internet speed is sufficient (Ookla Speedtest: 200+ down, 100+ up, 0% Packet Loss)
4. I performed a Twitch Bandwidth Test, using R1ch's program, for every server in North America. They all reported back with good results
5. I am able to stream to Twitch without any issue. No dropped frames and bitrate stays within a stable, consistent range of 1000 kbps (e.g. 5000-6000 kbps)

My efforts to remedy the problem involved:
1. Choosing YouTube's RTMPS Backup ingest server as well as both of their legacy RTMP servers AND their HLS servers
2. Reducing the bitrate to as low as 3000 kbps (does not hold steady, continues fluctuating)
4. Changing target usage to veryfast and speed
3. Reducing the Output Resolution and FPS
4. Allowing OBS to go through Windows Defender Firewall and opening up TCP ports 443 &1935 for outbound connections
5. Updating Windows 10 and WiFi card to their latest updates/drivers, respectively
6. Executing a clean install of OBS

* I know I could try connecting via ethernet from my computer to modem, but I do not think it will make any difference since I have streamed over the past 3 years to YouTube on WiFi without issue and my upload speed is well above the bitrate I am setting *

Included below are attachments of the OBS logs for YT and Twitch, as well as the speedtest and Twitch Bandwidth Test results below.

With all of this being said, I am left thinking that there may be some problem between OBS and YouTube or something between my ISP and YouTube.
I would sincerely appreciate anybody reading this to provide some help or insight because at this point I do not know what else to try.

Attachments

• [NA] TwitchTest 1.png
    [NA] TwitchTest 1.png
    44.9 KB · Views: 22
  • [NA] TwitchTest 2.png
    [NA] TwitchTest 2.png
    44.8 KB · Views: 17
  • [OBS] Speedtest Detailed.png
    [OBS] Speedtest Detailed.png
    70.9 KB · Views: 20
  • [OBS] Speedtest.png
    [OBS] Speedtest.png
    54.9 KB · Views: 20
  • [TTV OBS] No Dropped Frames Log.txt
    15.1 KB · Views: 20
  • [YT OBS] Dropped Frames Log.txt
    15.4 KB · Views: 25

PaiSand

The twitch test only verify the connection againt Twitch servers, not youtube.
In this case the network traffic that goes to Twitch is good from your location and bad for youtube.
Contact your ISP about this issue and let them know you can stream normally to Twitch but is way bad for youtube.

RP-Dizzle

Hi PaiSand,

Firstly, thank you for your response and suggestion.

Yes, I believe I may have to go that route of contacting my ISP. I don't understand why after nearly 3 years of off and on streaming to YouTube, how the lack of connection could be suddenly be so messed up :/

For anyone reading this thread, I have T-Mobile 5G home internet.

Gengar_Is_Love

hey any chance that you ended up on a solution? I ask because this happened to me for the first time earlier tonight and i don't know where I could start.