frames dropping badly due to network after an update

mucks

okay, i was streaming like a week ago and everything was fine with my network. until i install some updates for windows 10, everything is dropping super heavenly. i honestly dont have a clue what happened. i did the bandwidth test with the r1ch's program and everything looks decent.
1697416134848.png

but still, bitrate is dropping crazy from time to times and still have no idea what to do. i legit dont know how to make it pass thru the firewall or the antivirus, but i dont think that'd help at all. i dropped the file log below

here's me specs:
12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400F
AMD Radeon RX 6700
Samsung SSD 960 EVO 500GB
Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600)
MSI MAG B660M MORTAR WIFI DDR4 LGA 1700 Intel B660 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

also keep in mind that im using a gigabit ethernet splitter, due to me too far from the modem. if its thats the case, should move the modem to my room so in order to switch out ethernet cables?? thanks

Attachments

• 2023-10-15 18-13-28.txt
    18.9 KB · Views: 60

mucks

bumping this again due to the problem still persist. could it be the firewall interfering my connection when streaming? my isp said its good on their end

Lawrence_SoCal

bumping this again due to the problem still persist. could it be the firewall interfering my connection when streaming? my isp said its good on their end
Could firewall interfere? yes. likelihood - low
and which 'firewall' - on your router or on your computer?
ISP saying ok on their end - maybe, but nothing I'd rely on as accurate/complete, but in the overall scheme of things, ISP issues (depending on your ISP) is not all that common compared to self-induced LAN issues (which are far more common).. not impossible, but you tend to eliminate your LAN as part of the problem before getting any traction on ISP researching traffic patterns, latency/jitter, throughput, etc on their end.

18:21:07.913: Output 'adv_stream': Number of dropped frames due to insufficient bandwidth/connection stalls: 559 (2.1%)
I typically stream with 0% dropped frames... I never like to see ANY dropped frames (or only maybe a handful)... but... it depends.
to me, I'd be looking at your LAN/WAN (nothing to do with OBS Studio, certainly nothing OBS Studio log will show)

Sorry.. too busy at the moment to re-iterate previous threads on real-time network monitoring, identifying EVERY client on LAN, traffic usage, TCP reply traffic implications, etc. And then there are known problematic gaming computer network drivers (ex Killer) and settings.

mucks

Could firewall interfere? yes. likelihood - low
and which 'firewall' - on your router or on your computer?
ISP saying ok on their end - maybe, but nothing I'd rely on as accurate/complete, but in the overall scheme of things, ISP issues (depending on your ISP) is not all that common compared to self-induced LAN issues (which are far more common).. not impossible, but you tend to eliminate your LAN as part of the problem before getting any traction on ISP researching traffic patterns, latency/jitter, throughput, etc on their end.

18:21:07.913: Output 'adv_stream': Number of dropped frames due to insufficient bandwidth/connection stalls: 559 (2.1%)
I typically stream with 0% dropped frames... I never like to see ANY dropped frames (or only maybe a handful)... but... it depends.
to me, I'd be looking at your LAN/WAN (nothing to do with OBS Studio, certainly nothing OBS Studio log will show)

Sorry.. too busy at the moment to re-iterate previous threads on real-time network monitoring, identifying EVERY client on LAN, traffic usage, TCP reply traffic implications, etc. And then there are known problematic gaming computer network drivers (ex Killer) and settings.
gotcha, what am i supposed to check there for?

qhobbes

Enable dynamic bitrate and then check your log to see how much it is changing. It might be very slight or go to 0. That should help narrow down the issue. Without dynamic bitrate, if there's only 4499 Kb of bandwidth available, a frame would drop.

mucks

Enable dynamic bitrate and then check your log to see how much it is changing. It might be very slight or go to 0. That should help narrow down the issue. Without dynamic bitrate, if there's only 4499 Kb of bandwidth available, a frame would drop.
i think it kinda made it worst; dropped to 0 immediately and went back n forth

mindofsound

I had the frequent dropping of my stream after I upgraded OBS to v 30.x. Try rolling back to version 29.1.3 or whatever the last stable version was for your OS prior to v 30. (Past versions are accessible from the OBS website.) This happened to me with not only v30.0.0 but minor revisions that followed as well. I'm going to keep skipping the upgrades until I hear that this bug has been addressed.

mucks

I had the frequent dropping of my stream after I upgraded OBS to v 30.x. Try rolling back to version 29.1.3 or whatever the last stable version was for your OS prior to v 30. (Past versions are accessible from the OBS website.) This happened to me with not only v30.0.0 but minor revisions that followed as well. I'm going to keep skipping the upgrades until I hear that this bug has been addressed.
tried that and it didnt work. also used the bandwidth test and been getting alot of bad latency and quality. my upload speed is hella good too. im still stuck on this and confused.
1703719058805.png
1703719118252.png

Lawrence_SoCal

Do you have ANY plugins? if yes, you are wrong to assume an OBS Studio bug... maybe, but it could just as easily be an interaction from a plugin and OBS Studio (especially a plugin not updated, or one of the known poorly written plugins). In which case, the bug could be PEBKAC..

If I was in your situation, to troubleshoot, I'd run a stand-alone instance of OBS Studio, absolutely NO plugins, most ALL unnecessary background processes at OS level turned off/disabled [this is NOT necessarily easy to know which processes/services are necessary and which ones aren't. and it depends on your setup], and test.

mucks

i might just invest into a vpn or somethin; its been goin on for a quite awhile

i streamed 2 days ago and it went well for 4 hours. now it went back to this bitrate dropping stuff due to network lol
1704912753392.png

but it's coo tho; cant decide to contact my isp about this or somethin. prob rtmp issue on their side

TFE

Mr Mucks, et al., I'm having the same problem on a high-end Mac (Studio) with a Gigabit Comcast connection (1.2 down, 40 up). Two hour livestream will go fine one day, then a couple days later will start fine and then after, say, 90 minutes, OBS suddenly indicates Dropped Frames (Network) up from 0% to 20-30% with resultant video stuttering, though the audio continues fine. I had never had a problem before upgrading to OBS 30.0.x, but that could be purely coincidental. I have changed the Gateway/Router to Comcast/xFinity's latest XB8, changed the Cat 6 ethernet cable (I never use WiFi for streaming), had the Restream.io tech rep on the chat yesterday for a couple hours testing their various settings and servers to no avail, was on the chat with a Comcast/xFinity tech for over an hour last night with them testing from their end, restarting the modem, etc., to no avail. I have a Comcast tech coming tomorrow to check the integrity of the coax and splitters from the street throughout my home and studio. Will report back, but am more than a bit frustrated with all this. Any and all suggestions appreciated.